Foal height comparison/obsession

Lgd

Visit site
Fly 21 months KWPN colt.

16hh dam, 16.2hh sire.

Currently standing around 15 - 15.1hh in front, butt is a good 2" higher.
He's about 2" taller than his older sister at the same age and she is just under 16hh at rising 6yo, expect to her to scrape 16hh at maturity, so he should be around 16.2hh, although my friend thinks he may go taller. Their dam didn't stop growing until she was 8½yo and he is a lot like her.

Belle is proof the string test isn't that accurate as she string tested at around 16.3hh.

cblover

Visit site
Teddy 2 Shoes.......

20 month and currently 15.1hh on his bum and 15hh on his withers. Dam 15.3hh clyde x trad cob and sire 15.1hh trad cob!

I was hoping for a 15.2 at maturity but think I'll end up with a 16hh horse. He's so chunky, he looks like a 3 yr old!

crystalclear

Visit site
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but...just wondering what height your horses are at now and what heights they were at say 9 months old or so?!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but...just wondering what height your horses are at now and what heights they were at say 9 months old or so?!

Okay, here's my update on the two I mentioned in my post back in 2012. The two youngsters are rising 4 years old now. The filly stands at 16.1hh at the moment. She still has a fair amount of growing to do though but I'd say she'll finish out at 16.3hh. The colt (now gelding) is 16 1/2hh and he also still has a bit of growing to do, so he apparently is going to be much taller than predicted.

I'll offer two of my youngsters as examples. Both are reg Oldenburgs and are at opposite extremes compared to the rest of my youngsters.

9 month old filly. Measured at 14.3hh this morning. Very even growth; slightly more uphill than downhill.
Dam; 16.1hh
Sire; 17hh
Filly expected to make 17.1hh

7 month old colt. Measured at 13hh this morning. Even growth.
Dam; 15hh
Sire; 17hh
Colt expected to make 15.1hh

EstherYoung

Visit site
Wolf's dam is 14.2, sire is 15 hands. He's 14.2 at rising 3, so hopefully still on track for 14.3-15hands which will be perfect for me.

Felix's parents are 15.1ish, and full bro is 15.2. However he's growing like a weed and his legs are long than bro's. He's 14.3 at rising 2, and still looks really immature. Heck knows how tall he'll end up being.

Wolf is now rising six and I think is about 15 hands/15.1. He seems to have grown withers over this winter.

Felix is now rising five and is a smidge taller than his full brother. And he's in a 6'3" rug. And he still looks like a weed with more to grow. Other than that I'm in denial.

Casey76

Visit site
I'll play :)

Blitz 8 month old cheval de Mérens 145 cm at the front and 150 cm at the back - ish

Mum: Salsa - Mérens (148cm)
Dad: Roka - Mérens (163cm)

Blitz was predicted at 155-157cm, but if it is +2 hands at yearling, then he'll end up bigger than dad (and I'll need a ladder to get on!)

Blits is now rising 4, and is 160cm at the front and has just gone higher at the back again.

Fools Motto

Visit site
My Filly is 22 months by young 14.2hh 'running free colt' on the new forest out of a 12.2 NF. She is 12.2, ish at the mo - not stood on a hard surface and slightly bum high too. (will do correct measure in due course) Hoping she will get to 13.2. Got her in sept 2010 at 6 months and only 10.2!!

I sold this filly last summer at age 4, and on sale she was only 12.3, and didn't look like she was going to get any bigger. She had a lovely attitude to work, and I miss her. Still wonder where she is now.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Was she fully registered? I could check in the stud book for transfer? PM me if you like.

No, not fully registered as sire wasn't recorded. Her mother was a Farriers Rambler mare. I sold her to a 'nice' family, who then sold her on within 5 weeks to a dealer. There the leads go cold. Hope she is ok. I regret selling so much.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
No, not fully registered as sire wasn't recorded. Her mother was a Farriers Rambler mare. I sold her to a 'nice' family, who then sold her on within 5 weeks to a dealer. There the leads go cold. Hope she is ok. I regret selling so much.

That's a pity. Good ponies will find nice homes though.

I have a F.Rambler mare in foal and also bred one. He had a fabulous temperament which passed through.

Asha

Visit site
Gracie - 9 months old 14.1h. Dam 16h sire 16.3h. Expected to make around 16.2hds. String tests suggest 16.3hds
Harry - rising 3 16.2hds Dam 15.2hds Sire 16.2hds At 12 months was 14.2. Strung test suggested 16.3hds - wish he wouldnt grow anymore!!

Gracie was sold last year, left me as a 2 year old at 16hds
Harry , thankfully stopped growing. But has filled out built like a tank.

Lgd

Visit site
Fly is rising 5yo and still growing but not going to go over 16hh surprisingly. Think he will top out around the 15.3hh to 16hh mark.

My rising 3yo was supposed to be around 15.3hh at maturity and is currently standing 16hh!

Frostini

New User
Visit site
This gives me hope with my "midgit"

Bridgette 9 mths 12.3hh Mum is TB 15.3hh Dad is ID (Avanti Amorous Archie) 16.3hh

Anything over 15.2hh is fine by me, tho worse case scenario i will have a super small hunter!

hi!! Can I ask how big your filly ended up please? I have a 13 hh filly out if skip and sea 16.1 HD and my mare 15.3 full tb!! Thank you!!!

SmallSteps

Visit site
Currently ~16.1hh I think at 18months (i.e. just turned 2 by the January rule)
Mum is 16.2/16.3hh, Sire is 16hh, wasn't after a youngster but my ideal horse height is around 15.3hh please lol

Frostini

New User
Visit site
Okay, here's my update on the two I mentioned in my post back in 2012. The two youngsters are rising 4 years old now. The filly stands at 16.1hh at the moment. She still has a fair amount of growing to do though but I'd say she'll finish out at 16.3hh. The colt (now gelding) is 16 1/2hh and he also still has a bit of growing to do, so he apparently is going to be much taller than predicted.

Interesting!! See, we shouldn’t look at our babies sp
Young for height!! I am worried my 9 months old ID x tb won’t be big enough but the more I read the more I need to trust nature!! She will be growing!! 8 months 13 hh

YorkshireLady

Visit site
Oh I think anything could happen with my baby! I bought a foal in sep 2020...Dam 16.1, sire 16.2

As a yearling Id say he was 14.1 or 2

he is now 20 months and I would say 15.1

I am less bothered if he goes over 16.2 and more worried if he goes too wide!