foal names

gaelann

Visit site
confused what is the rule

Do you go with letter of sire or birth year of dam ???

KWPN seems to go with Birth year letter (E this year) for all colts and fillys but I aslo read you use first letter of sire if a colt

oh god I am confused

Cliqmo

Visit site
Who knew there were rules?!?
tongue.gif
If you need name suggestions then I'm happy to help but I have no idea when it comes to technical stuff I'm afraid
grin.gif

SoldierBlue

Visit site
I know all KWPN foals' names have to begin with letter E this year, not sure on other societies though.

Good luck with the naming! Our filly's name has changed three times, started with Eternal Update, then Essential Update and have settled on Enigmatic Update due to the '?' on her forehead! Daddy is called Update.

Good luck with the foal naming!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
I think they all vary.

Yes, it's E this year for KWPN. If registering with WBS_UK the foal's name has to start with the same letter as the sire.

Not sure on others.

It's a pain though as all the names I might have thought up already, yes, premature I know!
blush.gif
grin.gif
, do not start with an A!
(Perhaps we should chose the name first then the society!
wink.gif
)

sarahhelen1977

www.adonnis.co.uk
Trakehners are named with the same letter as their dam - I think the same is true for arabs?
Hanoverians tend to have the same letter as the sire......

ETS - thats a great idea Bananaman - choose the studbook to suit the name you have chosen !!!! I would have to go with characters from Greek mythology with suspicious spelling!!

linali

www.linali-stud.com
oooh that would be fun picking greek gods! Um actually think I only know a few, might need to buy a book lol Having young children I think I would stick to bob the builder charictures
smile.gif

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Trakehners are named after the dam's initial, and that is a ruling I tend to follow as all my stock are either registered TBF or SHB. I like to link the foal's names to the dam, as she does all the work!

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused what is the rule

Do you go with letter of sire or birth year of dam ???

KWPN seems to go with Birth year letter (E this year) for all colts and fillys but I aslo read you use first letter of sire if a colt

oh god I am confused

[/ QUOTE ]

KWPN, Belgian, SF all have one alphabetical letter per year (but not the same one across the studbooks -- that would be too easy!)

Most German studbooks (except Trakehner) plus WBS-UK take same starting initial as the sire, but some German studbooks with strong mare lines also allow fillies to take initial letter of dam's name

Trakehners take same starting initial as the dam whatever the sex of the foal.

Some Eastern European studbooks (mainly those that have coach horse origins) just repeat the sires name with roman initials behind it to indicate the reg / herd number rather than thinking up new names. The fillies again take the dam's name plus roman initial.

Daughter societies follow the rules of the mother societies

AFAIK the AES, SHBGB, SSH have no rules but breeders tend to follow the conventions of the studbook that issued the original passport for the sire of the foal.

Prefixes/suffixes (if allowed, which is not the case in Germany) are not considered part of the main name for these purposes so if your foal is by (say) Deanes San Ciro Hit the name should begin with S not D (you would be surprised at how many people get this wrong!).

gaelann

Visit site
I am guessing you have registered with KWPN

The problem I have is no covering certificate so the AES (Sire side) dont want toknow me - Basically colts got out in field luckily both colts are from same grandsire Alvescote Picasso
My mare is KWPN

I have tried to email KWPN UK for help but no email response other than an I am on maternity leave auto response.
Did you have to provide your covering certificate on registration or just fill out the birth declaration form I found on web ?

gaelann

Visit site
Yes I like Greek mythology but decided to go astrological for name suggestions. I thought I had cracked the process naming after the sire so choose some names I like beg with A (have 3 on a short list) but then I found out The AES dont want me as no covering certificate to register with even though I can name dam and sire etc... (covering was an accident) Then I found out KWPN for mares side of parentage is the letter E regardless of sex and I dont know what to do and who to register with I want to do the right thing but an I first time foal owner so no clue

gaelann

Visit site
I like the idea of naming after the mare as she did all the work so I guess that makes the naming with the letter E. lets hope KWPN finally contacts me so I can work out how to register my little man