foal prices

soph21

Visit site
i was going to buy a foal last week, he is only 3 wks old but i was going to have hm in oct, his mum is a newforest and his dad welsh D, she said £750 which i ageed to. i was going to pay him monthly as i know the owner. he isnt registered, which doesn't bother me. but i told my friend the other day and she couldn't believe how much she's asking. i did think when she said the price it was a bit steep but as ive never bought a foal i agreed. bearng in mind she owns the mare and the stallion and owns the land so she hasn't actually got to pay anything for him. my friend has told me not to bother which im not now, im getting a registered fell pony when its born!! but it will be registered and its dad is a supreme champion (means nothing to me!!!) the fell breeders are only asking £500!!!! where is the sense in price difference!!!!???? i just want some opinions as he is a gorgeous colt, i have fallen in love with him but ive got to think logically, so opinions please!!!!!!!!! thanks guys oh heres a pic of the expensive mungral He He He He
010-3.jpg

clipclop

Visit site
There are so many factors to think about when buying a youngster. You really need a very knowledgeable person to help you with this kind of thing.

What looks good on paper may not be all that great in RL.

Both prices sound bloomin cheap to me, but then I haven't ever bought a pony foal just big overgrown ones. lol
smile.gif

soph21

Visit site
i know the fell will be lovely, and IF i sell it when ive broken it in, in a few years it will be worth alot more than the little bay. i used to ride my friends 17hh hunter x arab i used to feel that anything smaller than that was tiny!! im only 5' 3 and 8stone!! i like 14.2's now!!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Buying a foal needs alot of thinking about, it will need the right type of company and it will cost a lot of money to keep until it is old enough to ride.If you are not a very experienced horse owner DO NOT BUY A FOAL.Have a horse on loan or buy an older horse that you can ride and has been trained.IF IT IS YOUR FIRST HORSE PLEASE LISTEN

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
i guess price depends on what the buyer is willing to pay! a friend of mine got a reg New Forest at 9 months old - she paid £350 for him from the breeder. he is the sweetest thing you have ever met but youngsters like that are rare - ooo - he was a colt. which brings me on to another question - is he still going to be a colt in october when you get him?? if so call your vets and ask how much it will be to geld him - dont be suprised if that adds another £200 to his price tag...

teabiscuit

Visit site
what an interesting cross.. i'd love to know what he turns out like

the price, it is a difficult one that one. if you're paying for a well cared for animal you have peace of mind that he has no worm damage, a good temprement and is bred from sound parents.... then it's worth it.

are his parents well bred? i know he isn't registered but even so well bred parents will matter

you say she hasn't got to pay anything for him , what about mum's and dad's forage over winter? worming and feet trimming? vet fees? i could go on and on.....and on.....

soph21

Visit site
i already own 2 horses i have worked at yards that have had home bred foals, i just know nothing about prices they sell for. there is no specia breeding in his mum but his daddy has good bloodlines, im going to get the fell pony, im going to find out if he can be gelded whilst still on his mum the vets around where i am are around the £150 mark (so he'd still be cheaper than the other colt).im going to put him in a field with my sec A buddie as he makes friends with anything! even cows. and my welsh D will be the other side of the fence so he wont be alone, but as he has shoes on not a good idea with a foal.