Foal Scour

Rollin

Visit site
That is what was recommended to me Holly. Three out of four here have not scoured at all and that one only did for a day or two.

I have tried the worming treatment but think the most important thing is paddock mgt. I rest paddocks over winter for mares and foals.

rsc

Visit site
I agree the Pink stuff works well but can get expensive if you have a few scouring or a persistant one.

We mix our own using forgastrin powder, electrolytes and probiotics. It is messy to make but works a treat.:D

Irishlife

Visit site
We use Bimastat calf scour treatment as recommended by my vet. It is in a pink box and has worked well on the occasions we have needed to use it.
However, it is important to ensure there is no underlying infection as foals get dehydrated very quickly so if it is no better within 24 hours call the vet.

Jamana

Visit site
Agree with RSC. Although we mix the forgastrin with kaolin as well. Probiotics as a drench for the first 5 days after birth seems to minimise incidence of scouring anyway. Check the mares bag to ensure that the foal is sucking, as Irishlife says they can dehydrate easily.