foal weaning method questions (calling all breeders

Caseymyboy

Visit site
Please could anyone who breeds horses or has weaned a foal (or foals) in 2012 answer my survey.

My dissertation is researching which weaning methods are more practical in different Countries as well as how priorities differ. I need as many breeders to answer it as possible.
This could be published in an equine journal so please take the 2 minutes it takes to answer the questions.

Thank you (appreciated!)

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEtpMnRQTmNtdXNkSkgtNzd2bUxKcUE6MQ

Re-posting due to the link not working (please only answer survey once)
I also realize the questions are quite vague but they're general to enable horse breeders in several different Countries to answer.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Have filled it in as best I could - but reasons for the method of weaning are a bit limited. I use gra\dual weaning which I think is less stressful for foals and helps get them onto concentrates rather than just cutting their milk off straight up - but the MAIN reason is to reduce stress in mares (who are in foal again) after I had one mare go beserk due to abrupt weaning and she then aborted as a result of jumping half the fences on the place trying to find her baby.

We take about a week - with foals in one big stable and mares either side. They go out in the school once a day (together)to stretch their legs and for the foals to have one drink. We've been doing this for 7 years now and it works very well.

Rollin

Visit site
I had a go. I filled in CB and Shagya Arab under OTHER and was told I had not completed this question.

Filled in France as country and again it bounced back that I had not completed this question.

Would love to help but for me it did not work.

Also, we did not have a foal in 2012. Sometimes we have two sometimes just one, survey does not allow for this.

My weaning methods are the same regardless of year or number of foals.

Good luck with your survey.

Dry Rot

Visit site
My foals are removed from their dams when they begin to get independent and begin to get rejected and brought inside. I will separate dam and foal as far as possible from each other, definitely out of sight and hopefully out of sound -- as far as this can be achieved on 30 acres. So an abrupt break.

Caseymyboy

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies!
Responses have to be limited, it's a broad study and I can't get conclusions and statistics from everyone answering differently.

Caseymyboy

Visit site
Could anyone who weans:
- under 5 months old
- indoors
- alone
- and abruptly
please answer this follow-up questionnaire? I only need 2-3 replies to help 'explore' the reasons why foals are weaned in this manner.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sQfCOgdr6pMt14lG7WRZmCj2FsKn6XdNtNyRyCnAdf4/viewform

If anyone meeting the criteria is feeling particularly helpful then please PM me for my email address so you can send a picture of your weaning facilities!

Thank you very much to everyone! (Original thread is now closed)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Could anyone who weans:
- under 5 months old
- indoors
- alone
- and abruptly
please answer this follow-up questionnaire? I only need 2-3 replies to help 'explore' the reasons why foals are weaned in this manner.

Because the owner is a heartless twerp!!:rolleyes:

I've had to wean two foals under 5 months abruptly - one because his mother died - and one because his mother was going to die if we didn't wean him. Never alone!!

Caseymyboy

Visit site
There were several responses from my main questionnaire that said they wean in this manner.
Let me rephrase though - please could anyone who meets 2 or more of those criteria answer the survey above.
It's the reasons for each not all of them as a whole so if weaned indoors, abruptly
or under 5 months and indoors etc.

I will definitely take into account that many weanings under 5 months are because of illness, injury or circumstances.

Thank you

Caseymyboy

Visit site
I can't see the original one?
It coems up saying it's not working?

The original one has been closed and the second survey is more specific and targeted to the points I listed above.

Please note: This is to determine reasons why people wean early, alone, indoors and abruptly and NOT to portray anyone who does in a bad light - there are very valid reasons