Foal with bloodshot eyes...

Spyda

Visit site
Has anyone experience of a foal having reddened whites of its eyes (both) in the days following foaling? Foal is 100% fine in all other respects. Could it be due to a difficult birth (it was a big foal and a maiden mare) and be something which will clear by itself, or could it be signs of something more sinister (even tho foal appears 100% fine otherwise?) Vet is due to check it, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone else had experience and whether or not it was common. The foal doesn't have any other signs of scepticemia (this being the only problem I can find associated with reddened eyes of the newborn foal).

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Mine had this (she was a big baby!) and the vet sad it was just birth trauma and it cleared up by it's self
laugh.gif

Spyda

Visit site
Phew, thanks! Most of me feels it's nothing to worry about but there's nothing mentioned anywhere online so I was starting to think it could be something rare (and nasty....)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes ours had that, i think all of the 14 foals we bred did in fact, and they were all fine, it is just the stress of foaling i think, bless em, they are just so tired at first