Focal seizures

Leg_end

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience with a horse who has focal seizures? My horse is being referred to RVC - his only happen under saddle - but I'd like to be as armed as possible with information.

I'm interested in hearing about diagnosis, treatment and overall experiences please.

Caracarrie

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience with a horse who has focal seizures? My horse is being referred to RVC - his only happen under saddle - but I'd like to be as armed as possible with information.

I'm interested in hearing about diagnosis, treatment and overall experiences please.

My mare was epileptic, the trigger for her was eating her breakfast 95% of the time. Her hormones were the at the bottom of it all. She would have a seizure every 10 days so was entirely predictable almost without exception. I was able to control them fully with drugs and she led a normal life for the 15 years she was treated. Feel free to PM me, I'm always interested in hearing about other cases.

Dappled dreams

New User
Visit site
I know I am a little late to the party, but my mare has seizures around breakfast time too.

She is currently at the hospital having a number of tests done and her kidneys don't look great, but I would love to hear about your experience as we thought it could be hormone related too!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know I am a little late to the party, but my mare has seizures around breakfast time too.

She is currently at the hospital having a number of tests done and her kidneys don't look great, but I would love to hear about your experience as we thought it could be hormone related too!

How is your horse doing now?

Dappled dreams

New User
Visit site
When I first commented I was very happy with the result (as happy as you could be), as it looked to be her kidneys. Thought, 'great okay, better than it being the brain'- as if it were her kidneys, it would have been treatable to an extent.

Further tests run show that actually her kidneys are healthy and she is healthy in every sense, so it is now down to a brain tumour or epilepsy, sadly. Glucose levels have also been checked before and after breakfast (she usually has seizures near breakfast time) and they were both fine.

So now its one of two things - if its a tumour, she will be put to sleep, and if its epilepsy, we will at least look into drugs. We are aware that it will be expensive but its something that we are happy to do if her quality of life is not impeded as she is happy and healthy other than the occasional seizure.

So the next step is an MRI!

It has been a rubbish rollercoaster.

southerncomfort

Visit site
So sorry to read your update.

My old girl had full blown seizures which, after checking all other possible causes, was put down to a probable brain tumour.

It was all very traumatic so I know how you must be feeling right now.

X

Dappled dreams

New User
Visit site
So sorry to read your update.

My old girl had full blown seizures which, after checking all other possible causes, was put down to a probable brain tumour.

It was all very traumatic so I know how you must be feeling right now.

X

sorry to hear about your girl.
My mare is only 6 and is healthy and happy in every other sense, so I’m finding it hard that having her pts is on the cards. Life is cruel x

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Check my thread about this - we’ve been through this recently but I’m not ready to revisit or type the whole journey again but we really did try everything including vets from around the world contributing to Harry’s care

Dappled dreams

New User
Visit site
Check my thread about this - we’ve been through this recently but I’m not ready to revisit or type the whole journey again but we really did try everything including vets from around the world contributing to Harry’s care
I’m so sorry to hear.

would you be able to advise what your thread is called? I’ve tried looking but can’t see anything. Sorry to ask