follow on from livery yard rules

landyandy

Visit site
after reading the outrageous yard rules, it got me thinking. what is the most bizzare message you have received about your horse from other liveries, or what have they said to you, only last week I got a text saying my horse had flies on her, and she was rubbing on a post, I know they mean well,

Greylegs

Visit site
When i had my old boy on DIY at another yard, we all shared a feed room/store, with everyone allocated their own space. It was normal for people to make up evening feeds in the morning as part of the morning yard routine, and I did this in a regular basis. One day, another livery had asked a friend to feed her horse that evening with a feed she had made up in advance that morning. Long story short, the "friend" went into the feed room, grabbed my horses feed in error and fed it to the other horse. After realising what she'd done, she then sent me a text explaining, apologising for the mix up and asking if I wanted to give my horse the other horse's feed to save me having to make up another for my lad?! Erm ....??!!!! No ...

My lad was an elderly TB with poor teeth who had hi energy everything plus joint and hoof supplements to keep condition on him, the other horse was a welshie who lived on fresh air!! So my boy would have got a bit of chaff with some balancer in it for his tea that night.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
My yard mate was told she needed to get a sports bra (when she was already wearing one :) ) by a "kindly" fellow livery. I was told by the same person that I was "lucky" that my horse had to have colic surgery. Hmmmm

aintgotnohay

Visit site
mine was from the livery yard where the daughter had it in for me when i bought a pink wheelbarrow.i put a lock on it and she smashed the lock up in a jealous rage cos i had a pink wheelbarrow and she couldnt afford one.i copied and pastied this fbook message she sent me

9/9/11
Jane: facebook Hi Jane, commented on your status. Marie wrote "I did it wednesday u go n buy another i'll just smash the barrow up next time,****in pathetic lockin ur barrow up thou

TelH

Visit site
When the vet was came to put my horse down someone said (to my face) they thought I was being cruel because I wouldn't have her go to a veterinary hospital... Horse was 2 weeks off being 24yo, she broke her leg, couldn't turn round in the stable, let alone get on a lorry and be transported for 1.5hrs... I know I did the right thing!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Someone telling me that they were putting extra haylage and feeds in for my laminitis fatty who was (under vets instructions) on a starvation paddock with 24 hour soaked hay and no hard feed. This is the same livery who kept turning him out 'to stretch his legs for a couple of hours' because she though 24/7 box rest was cruel. He had pedal rotation and was buted and when he was allowed out in hand he was on ACP to keep him calm. She would just turn him out for a hoon!

Sadly when I raised it with the livery owner she stood up for idiot owner and I was asked to leave :(

HorseMad91

Visit site
I've been told before that I'm cruel and heartless for keeping my mare alive because she has very limited sight, she is still fit and working and very happy and no one actually realised she had limited sight until I was talking about it one day

JLD

Visit site
Um.... I had text 'your idiot horse was dangerous when I was turning him out - so he can only go out for a few hours in the morning' after he had not been turned out by her for 4 days apparently because it was 'raining' in August. He was on full livery , I was away with work and I was guaranteed everyday all day turnout, precisely because he could be a little bit of a pillock when kept in. Clearly keeping him in more was going to help ! The (reliable )witnessed Dangerous behaviour was a tiny buck and 2 strides of canter. It became apparent YO was scared of anything over 13 hh. I had countless opinions on rugging - he was a very hot horse and never needed more than a medium weight fully clipped in -10' . It was 'cruel' not to have him hot sweaty and itchy in heavy weight rugs. I had so many beautiful unused heavy rugs I bought in anticipation I would have loved to use !!

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I had countless opinions on rugging - he was a very hot horse and never needed more than a medium weight fully clipped in -10' . It was 'cruel' not to have him hot sweaty and itchy in heavy weight rugs.

I had this at one yard, how cruel I was for not putting a heavy-weight rug on in winter. They would even put a neck cover on him after I had turned him out. This was a trace clipped HW cob with a full mane!

my bfg

Visit site
Had several messages saying folk believed my mare was dying as she was laid flat out and making a awful noise - she snores rather loudly but not quite a death rattle :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Had several messages saying folk believed my mare was dying as she was laid flat out and making a awful noise - she snores rather loudly but not quite a death rattle :)

I can beat that! I had a very nervous man tell me my horse was dead as he 'hadn't moved for half an hour' He was flat out fast asleep in the sun and not best pleased when I woke him up!

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
Having been asked NOT to feed my horse for me I was met at the gate with "I've already brought him in and fed him for you. I didn't know what you give him so I just guessed." Found him chomping away on something three times the size of his usual feed, with no clue which or how much of each of his supplements were in it.

Livid.

At another place I was told "your horses were galloping round like lunatics on Tuesday" ... which is fine. But I was told this on Wednesday, and Thrusday, and Friday, and at the weekend, and again a few days later. After the second time I just responded "good, it might get some fat off the mare" every time. They hadn't hurt themselves, they hadn't got out, they hadn't damaged the fences or the field, it was one time, what do you want me to do about it a week later, when you've already told me, repeatedly, that it happened?

Lyle

Visit site
At a yard I was at, the owners son was converting the barn into a house (boo). The liveries kept our tack and feed in shipping containers in the yard, where we also tied up to tack up/wash. It was the only spot on the property where we had access to power, and As I need stud holes, I got my horse shod there too. One afternoon, I received a text from the YO saying "my son doesn't like you shoeing your horse on the yard. Please find somewhere else to shoe your horse". I did a ring around and found a property that could take me on short notice, and indeed found somewhere else to shoe my horse! The text was really the final straw in a series of stupid requests from the YO.

Last edited:

ljm

Visit site
I don't have so much issue with things being said directly to me as I have when they haven't got the nerve to say it to my face.
I was 'cruel' having my horse on box rest when he had laminitis. Same livery said this created a bad atmosphere on the yard.
I have since left this yard, sad in some respects as I had been there a long time. Amazingly found a post on here about me, being a bully, despite doing nothing but helping this (different) fellow livery! Strange world this horsey stuff.

twiggy2

Visit site
I am cruel because;
a)my horse is not feed endless amounts of food and is therefore not fat
b)my horse is ridden in all weathers
c)my horse is turned out every day
d)we hack out for more than 2hrs at a time

Ladyinred

Visit site
I am cruel because;
a)my horse is not feed endless amounts of food and is therefore not fat
b)my horse is ridden in all weathers
c)my horse is turned out every day
d)we hack out for more than 2hrs at a time

You too twiggy, let's join a coven together! To add to that list, my house doesn't a rug in the rain, in 18 degree heat....

You evil pair!!

Mine are never rugged, and that gets a fair few comments even though they are always toasty warm. And as for making your horse work for over two hours... speechless!

Visit site
I had been strip grazings my horses field for 3 weeks and the part I had cut off had grown up nicely. (The yard owner gave me permission to strip graze) I went down the yard to move the fence to let my horse have some of the grass.

But my yard owner had been in there with his lawn mower and cut it all!!! And left all the grass cuttings on a windy day to blow into my horses field!!!!!

When I asked him why he done it he said 'it was to thick to eat' and 'he changed his mind' if he had told me earlier I would of let her in there sooner instead of wasting it!!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Can we bring our mare in with the stallion? Um not unless you want her covered and no anyway.

I can't get my horse out the field the foal's stopping me. Really??? I mean it's tiny and doesn't really do people..

Why are you putting hay out? Don't they just eat grass? Um not in midwinter no

twiggy2

Visit site
You too twiggy, let's join a coven together! To add to that list, my house doesn't a rug in the rain, in 18 degree heat....

Ha ha ha My horse is not wearing a rug currently either-when it is like this I have to either bring her in for a few hrs out of the rain or open up the field for ad lib forage from grazing or she is a real stroppy little minx-someone made me laugh today when she told me 'your horse does not feel the cold because she is so muscley'...I had to point out that if anything my horse does feel the cold (when it turns cold) because she does not carry any fat.

twiggy2

Visit site
You evil pair!!

Mine are never rugged, and that gets a fair few comments even though they are always toasty warm. And as for making your horse work for over two hours... speechless!

mine gets rugged when it gets fully clipped or a rain sheet when I get fed up with trying to scrape thick wet mud off before riding

Caol Ila

Visit site
I've heard I work my horse too hard. I ride 5-6 days per week: 3 or 4 days schooling dressage, 2 or 3 days of easy hacking (no hills, and can't go very far without using main roads, which I find terrifying so don't do it), maybe a fortnightly play over the weensie XC fences during the summer.

At a barn where most people ride 1 to 2 times per week, if that, this is hard work. At an actual dressage barn, or an eventing or SJ barn, I believe this is known as 'normal.' Or even 'easy;' we are not exactly schooling FEI levels or conditioning for Burghley.

It's a hard life. Poor pony. How cruel and unusual to be doing this when you could be grossly overweight, standing in a field doing nothing but working on your eventual laminitis, like some of your stablemates.

DSCI0050_zpslwpx3x2r.jpg

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I had been strip grazings my horses field for 3 weeks and the part I had cut off had grown up nicely. (The yard owner gave me permission to strip graze) I went down the yard to move the fence to let my horse have some of the grass.

But my yard owner had been in there with his lawn mower and cut it all!!! And left all the grass cuttings on a windy day to blow into my horses field!!!!!

When I asked him why he done it he said 'it was to thick to eat' and 'he changed his mind' if he had told me earlier I would of let her in there sooner instead of wasting it!!

there is a field at the yard that is not currently being grazed until it is cut (2 horses are in 24/7 till it is done and the tractor is broken so they will have to wait for weeks) because the grass is too long for them to walk in! I nearly fell over when I was told that,

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Can we bring our mare in with the stallion? Um not unless you want her covered and no anyway.

I suppose it depends on the stallion and the handler. My stallion gets brought in and turned out at the same time as my mare. I don't think I'd do it to other people's horses though, or let others handle mine.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
They wanted to put her in with the stallion loose in the paddock. Sorry badly explained. They are also very inexperienced.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I suppose it depends on the stallion and the handler. My stallion gets brought in and turned out at the same time as my mare. I don't think I'd do it to other people's horses though, or let others handle mine.

They wanted to put her in with the stallion loose in the paddock. Sorry badly explained. They are also very inexperienced.

Nessa4

Visit site
Someone telling me that they were putting extra haylage and feeds in for my laminitis fatty who was (under vets instructions) on a starvation paddock with 24 hour soaked hay and no hard feed. This is the same livery who kept turning him out 'to stretch his legs for a couple of hours' because she though 24/7 box rest was cruel. He had pedal rotation and was buted and when he was allowed out in hand he was on ACP to keep him calm. She would just turn him out for a hoon!

Sadly when I raised it with the livery owner she stood up for idiot owner and I was asked to leave :(

Clearly a lucky escape!!