Follow on from 'my horse is broken' thread

0310Star

Visit site
So as some of you read, Friday my mare went for her follow up after being diagnosed with ringbone, side bones and DJD in January.
At the follow up she was totally sound in that leg but very slightly uneven in the other so we did x-rays and a block in that leg and found a very small amount of navicular, vet said it is so minimal it would not have been found unless we had done the work up we did!
So long story short she had Tildren and is on her glucosamine as usual and I hacked her out Sunday (vet said to carry on working her) and she was totally sound, felt like a new horse!
Whilst at the vets Friday he said he wanted her in natural balance shoes which he would talk to my farrier about. I do not want to shoe her (she is barefoot with fantastic feet) and the farrier agrees it could be causing more trouble messing with her when she is sound!
Vet called the farrier this morning and farrier then advised me vet wants natural balance shoes on with wedges and pads to help with pattern angle, totally £120 for fronts!!!!
I do not have this kind if money, especially when me and my farrier do not want shoes on her anyway as she is sound now! Called the vet and he wasn't happy with this decision but hasn't got much choice in the matter really. So my question is... Does anyone have any advice on this or experienced this before?
The vet has made me feel quite guilty over my decision so I'm feeling a little bad "/

So any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Wundahorse

Visit site
That sounds a lot of money for the natural balance shoes,i pay £65 for a full set which includes natural balance in front and ordinary ones behind.I wonder if your horse would be more comfortable if you kept him barefoot.I am sure the barefoot taliban will advise you on this,but unfortunately i have little experience of the barefoot method for this type of lameness.
Good luck and keep posting with updates as i am interested in how effective the tildren is.

0310Star

Visit site
Well it's not just that they are natural balance, it's all the extras he wants like pads and wedges which make it ad up! Farrier said normal natural balance shoes are £45 for front which I was happy to pay but £120 every 6 weeks is so much money, I just cannot afford to throw that at a sound horse as she is totally sound now and perfectly happy!

I am happy to report that the Tildren has already seemed to have made a difference even in this short amount of time, her joints have stopped clicking (backs are normally quite clicky, just general wear and tear) and it really was like riding a different horse! She seems soooooo much happier in herself too!
I am shocked to see a difference so soon but I am also so happy about it :)