follow on from retired horse looking ok but feeling bad!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I tried riding him again and again he felt pretty awful. We have to go over road scalpings to get to the road and he seems the same on either surface.
So I've been picking my brains!
Roughly...
He seemed sound and pretty full of himself/bored. Turned him and daughters horse back out onto summer grazing which although still a bit flooded from winter has plenty of dry areas and a bit of grass and space- they get led back to the yard every other day or so. This means mine can have company whilst the other is ridden.
It's stony then road uphill then home, about a 1 mile round trip.
He walks quite reluctantly and every so often a hind almost appears to give way.
My first thought was his feet had gone soft in the wet (prev good but now out 24/7?) So he was really feeling the stones.
IF that's the case he's being really quite dramatic about it.
today I've given his legs a really good wash and he has a bit of mud fever setting In. No heat or swelling through.
Last summer he tweaked both hind tendons and had to have both tendon sheaths drained to let pressure off. So my other theory is that he's buggered the tendons again in the heavy ground.
Going to keep him up at the yard for a bit again as it's dry and flat.
Any ideas or useful snippets I may have overlooked?
I think I'm going to get a different vet out and see if a new pair of eyes throws up any ideas.
I'm not worried about riding him- he's been retired a year now and I'm happy to continue like that but he does need to be able to.walk safely on the road?!
Farriers out on Thursday to check out the state of his feet and see if that could be the cause.

Asha

Visit site
My ole girl has been brought back into work, started off fab, absolutely loving being back in work. Then on Saturday went for a hack, and exact same thing happened, felt as though she was tripping behind and as we the walked back up the drive her back leg buckled. No heat, swelling , anything. Turned her out later, was bombing around the field no problem.

Phoned my vet today, and he's advised to start off with putting back shoes on, and see how she feels after that. ( she's been shod in front only ).

Going to give it a go, and see how she gets on.

Worth a try ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yeah definitely. I'll ask the farrier this week. I hope it's as simple. Hope it works for your girl. Mines only been shod in front for the past year but like u say it's just so wet?!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I'd imagine it is his feet. Where he's been off work they won't be as strong as they used to be. One of my horses used to event and hack for miles barefoot and had fantastic strong hard feet and was never footy. I had to retire him awhile ago due to an injury (not foot related). Anyway he was looking sound a few weeks ago so I started hacking him in walk but where he hasn't been doing the milegae on on hooves they are nowhere near as good as they used to be (despite being trimmed regularly etc), and he was really feeling the stones and uncomfortable on them. So hopefully this is what's up with your boy rather than anything tendon related.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Both replies have made me a little more hopeful thank you!
He was so uncomfortable coming up today I'd figured it was a waste of money putting shoes on to try but maybe not. Even if they simply enable me to bring him in easily it will help.