Following on from ‘Old School Stable Management Routine’ thread

[142807]

Visit site
Following on from the thread above asking for stable management routines in the 1970s can you tell me your daily stable management routine that you follow now. Comparison of the two will be compiled afterwards. Thank you

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If hacking out get to yard to after 5am but normal routine

6am feed and turnout
6.10 am skip out both as on deep litter. Fill haynets for night time. Redo water
6.30 am bring ridden one into school tack up ride.
7am turn back out
go to work
4.15pm arrive at yard. jobs in eve include bringing in, grooming, poo picking, water in field. if didnt ride in morning will ride in eve.
Jobs in eve done in various order depending on the weather!

eggs

Visit site
Winter

7:15 hay and feed
8:30 ish turnout
sometime during the day skip out, prepare feeds and hay, sweep yard - muck out at weekends
before dark catch in
if riding quick brush and tack up
5:30 ish change rugs if necessary and feed and skip out
10:00 late night check and extra hay

Summer

6:30 ish catch in
skip out during the day
quick brush off and ride during the day
5:30 ish feed and turn out and
6:00 ish skip out stables, prepare feeds any hay for next morning

poo picking done daily - usually when horses are not out in the fields

Dexter

Visit site
Mine live out on a track.

AM between 6am and 8.30am - Check limbs are attached and ponies where they should be. Check water and hay feeders.

PM 3 to 6pm - Check limbs are attached and ponies where they should be. Check water and hay feeders. Feed forage based feed with supplement. Poo pick. Try and do something with at least one of them work wise.

Weekends tends to be all day and I trim feet, prep hay, repair fencing etc, etc

PapaverFollis

Visit site
6am- open barn door and let them bring themselves in to a haynet. Tie up, remove night rug, do feet, brush off, tack up.
7am- ride
8am- untack, sponge or groom, apply day rug if necessary. Spray feet with magic things.
9am- feed. Then chase out of the barn. Tidy barn.

During day. Gaze lovingly out of the window. Occasionally swear profusely and go and sort out whatever idiocy is going on. Pick up paddock and pen poos. Do waters.

Sometime in the evening.... make up a couple of nets to tie on yard and add hay to hay Hutch.

Make up feeds.

Open barn door and wait for stampede.

Feed.

Tie up. Do physio exercises. Check feet. Switch rugs if necessary.

Chase back out of barn. Either into just pen or with field access.

10pm Check if they are in pen. Give more hay. Kiss noses. Tell them to effin behave themselves overnight.

Sometimes switches about a bit for evening or daytime riding. And proper winter is different again.

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
Basically the same as Dexter.

Weekdays it would be something like this, but timings do vary depending on life. Because they aren't waiting on me for any resources they don't really care. Unless I'm too late and morning sleepy time has commenced. They don't appreciate me suggesting we go riding then. Weekends vary depending on what we're doing.

Sometime btw 06:00 - 09:00
-Shout in from track and hope they don't decide to play musical stables. Wait for them all to line up for their morning wee. Feed. Poo Pick. Top up water troughs. Make next days feeds.
-Check horses over. Change rugs / remove rugs as necessary. If riding tack up.
-If riding, ride. If not put field horses out. Put the ponies back on the track.

Sometime btw 15:00 - 18:00
- Shout them all in again. Wait for Pod who has to go and poo on his special pile first. Feed. Poo Pick. Check Water and check if we need to roll a haylage bale down to the feeder.
- Check hooves. Check over. Change rugs if necessary.
- If riding, quick brush. If not put them all back on the track.

Sometime in the evening they get a quick head count whilst I'm taking the dog for a pee.

BarneyTheChestnutOne

Visit site
Between me and my sister we have these 2 routines:

Retired/Youngstock Group:

6.30AM - Feed all 3 in the field. Whilst they are eating, pick feet out and check them over.
6.45AM - Poo pick the field, skip out the open stables, fill the water trough and put hay out.
7.15AM - Feed the birds and leave.

4.15PM - Check them all over again whilst giving them all a treat :)
4.25- 4.45PM - Poo pick the field, skip out the open stables, check water and put more hay out.

Competition Horse at DIY Livery:

Summer:
7AM - Feed if not already done by first on the yard.
7.05AM - Muck out, change waters, make Speedibeet.
7.30AM - Ride
8.30 / 9AM - Untack and Turnout

Between 4.30 - 5.30PM - Bring In and make PM Haynets and Feeds

Winter Jan/Feb:
7AM - Feed if not already done by first on the yard.
7.05AM - Muck out, change waters, fill haynets, make Speedibeet.
7.30AM - Put on the Horsewalker.
8.00 - 9AM - Ride and put back in stable

4.30PM - Put on the Horsewalker or in the all weather turnout pen. Skip out, fill haynets and waters and make feeds.
5.00 PM - If on horsewalker, bring in to stables and groom. If in turnout pen, bring in to groom at 5.30PM
6PM - put to bed

Silver Clouds

Visit site
During day. Gaze lovingly out of the window. Occasionally swear profusely and go and sort out whatever idiocy is going on.

10pm Kiss noses. Tell them to effin behave themselves overnight.

I loved the whole description of your routine, but especially these bits :). Mine definitely get told to behave themselves over night (mainly to leave the fencing alone)!

SEL

Visit site
Mine have to fit around work - it pays their vet bills

Winter
Between 5-7am they are fed by the first livery on the yard
7am I turn up and turn them out
7.15 - 7.30 (depending on how much swearing turnout involves) empty hay soaking buckets so hay can drain and start to refill. Hose runs in while I'm mucking out
Muck out 3 stables. All are deep littered over winter. Start with easiest. Poo into barrow, empty haynets on top of barrow, barrow emptied onto muck trailer, haynets re-filled, waters emptied onto soaking haynets, then next stable and repeat. Might leave the filthiest one until the evening depending on time
8:30 finish stable
8:35 grab Appy in for her morning exercises
9.30 check Appy back out & go to work

pm - usually somewhere between 4 and 5 depending on weather bring them all in. Feed, put tomorrow's nets in to soak as needed. Go home. Might lunge or ride pony but she was off games all last winter

Summer
They live out 24:7 - YAY!
Feed about 7:30 and bring Appy in.
Use yard gator to poo pick and possibly put out some hay depending on grass and waistlines. Change rugs
Finish about 8am
Do Appy's rehab work
Might ride or lunge pony
Finish 9:30 ish

pm
Take feeds, hay, rugs down in yard gator and poo pick
Might ride or lunge pony

Obviously at weekends I'm in less of a rush so everyone gets more attention

Sealine

Visit site
AM:
6.30am Feed, water, put hay into soak for the evening, prepare evening and morning feeds, muck out and re-lay shavings bed
7.10am Empty wheelbarrow, remove hay from soaking and refill water ready for hay soaking tomorrow
7.15am Groom and tack-up
7.30am Ride
8.30am Untack, brush/sponge horse off, rug appropriately
8:45am Turn out

PM:
3pm-6pm (depending upon time of year) - bring in, pick out feet, in winter only a small haynet is given
pm ish - evening feed and hay

Note: I don't do PM jobs. They are done by a friend in exchange for me feeding and turning their horse out in the morning. Stable next to mine and horse in the same field as mine.

Start of morning routine is pushed back an hour at weekends and I ride for longer so turnout is later but bring in tends to be later too.

atropa

Visit site
I dont stick to super strict routines, but in general:

Winter -
  • 8am - feed, change rugs. Hang up and rinse net of hay soaked overnight for native, put in next net for soaking.
  • 8.20am - turnout
  • 12pm - fill sport horses haybars, weigh and fill next native haynet to be soaked. Wash breakfast feed buckets. Skip out deep littered beds and sweep.
  • 3-5pm (dependant on light): bring in, wash and pick out feet.
If not riding - change into stable rugs if turnouts are dry, if turnouts are wet leave on, put on leg wraps.​
If riding - quick groom, tack up, ride, untack, quick groom, stable rugs on.​
Make up and feed dinner. Hang and rinse 2nd soaked net for native, start soaking tomorrow's net.​

• 8.30pm: skip out. Hang 2nd net of soaked hay for native and top up sport horse hay bars if required. Remove leg wraps if required. Change turnouts for stable rugs if required. Wash out dinner buckets. Feed a treat.
Summer -
  • 8am - check on horses in field. Add muzzles/swap rugs/fly spray as required. Feed if required.
  • 3pm - bring in if planning to exercise.
  • 5pm (if exercising) - groom/exercise. Feed if required. Rug appropriately and turnout approx 7.30pm.
  • 8.30pm (if not exercising) - feed/change rugs in field if required. Hay in field if required.

This is for a WB, an ISH and a native living at home. Sometimes I swap around and ride early morning but mostly I'm a night owl. Last checks in summer can be later as long as it's light. Sometimes also do a mid day check in summer.

Tarragon

Visit site
DIY Field kept livery - all except deep winter:
  • arrive at livery between 6 and 7
  • bring in feed breakfast and some hay
  • poo pick while they are eating
  • wash out bowls and make up tomorrows feed
  • groom
  • Riding between 7 and half past
  • back to stables between half 8 and 9
  • back out in field and leave stables between 9 and 9:15
Deep winter:
  • arrive at sunrise
  • bring in feed breakfast and some hay
  • I walk up a local hill and stop to admire the view at the top
  • back 30 minutes later, wash out bowls and make up tomorrows feed
  • leave for home before 9

Visit site
Mine are done around work too, routine is the same year round

First one on the yard feeds everything and that's never me. But it's usually at 7.30am

I get there at 11/11.30 , turn out, run all the yard managers wheelbarrows to the muck heap. (I help her on the yard and she helps me with mine as I work odd hours) make all the livery haynets (19) make all my haynets (10) bring in the other DIY horse and turn out my little one in the pen as him and the other DIY are laminitic prone and have strict grazing limits. Muck both mine out and bed them down. Then it's human lunch time, bring my bigger one in, tack up (cold backed so tacked up a good while before work) make my 2's feeds. Get the little dude in. Hack/school/long rein or lunge my beast, it's usually half three ish now. Deliver all the haynets to where they need to be, refill the ones from the morning, skip out my two, empty all the skip buckets on the yard, sweep, put mine to bed and I'm done it's about 4.45 at this point. Yard manager feeds and Hays for me about 6 pm.