Following on from carthorse's thread

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What do you say to the pharmacist when you buy something for the horse? And what have you bought?

I've bought kaolin for the dogs, sudocreme galore for dogs and horse, the usual. :)

zigzag

Visit site
I got refused an order for 15 bottles of liquid paraffin once, she thought I had an eating disorder, it was only when I explained it was for a horse and that vet had ran out that she would give it to me... but she did phone the vet to check

rhino

Visit site
I think I've bought a fair bit, remember citronella and thrush cream (for ringworm) most recently.

Worst things I've had to buy that were horse related were tampons and condoms :eek::eek: for an emergency chest drain/plug the hole where the lung had been penetrated. It was a very posh area and the shop was crammed full of little old ladies. Would have been fine if I hadn't blurted out 'they're for a horse' :eek::eek:

slumdog

Visit site
Not really medical but my male friend once picked up some carrots and some vaseline, he didn't even realise anything untoward until I pointed it out :D

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Well I've been to 12 chemists and supermarkets in one day to buy piraton for allergy with a horse, vet wanted to charge huge amount, got them much less in likes of home bargains, and local chemists!!! Naughty I know.

Buds_mum

Visit site
I live in a small town.

When you go into boots, straight to the baby aisle and buy;
Nappies
Sudocream
Vaseline
Baby powder
Puree apple baby food
No more tears shampoo
Baby wipes

All in multiple quantities.

Well news travels fast, and that evening me and o/h were sat down by his mother asking if we had something to tell her :p

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I was looking nappies in Asda when a lady asked me if I needed help and I said I wasn't sure on the sizes.....she asked me what age my baby was when I told her is was for the horses hoof as he has an abscess she just stood there looking at me like I was mad!:D:D

sandi_84

Visit site
Ha ha loving some of these! :D

I had to pick up some thrush cream once for ringworm, pharmacist asked if it was for me and if I'd used it before I just told her yes and yes just to keep things simple, didn't fancy going through the rigmarole of explaining it was for the horse to possibly be refused :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My work use a lot of Preperation H cream for various things. My boss asked me to go to the local chemist and get 10 tubes......erm No sorry!

Rebels

Visit site
'what's the biggest syringe you sell and do you sell sharps bins?'
I was injecting pony twice a day and syringing medication in but pony had split the syringe. I expect the slightly frazzled, have been living at the yard and smell like a tramp look didn't help...

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I asked if my chemist had tablet counters because I needed to count out 100 steroid tablets for each dose.
Thinking I was mistaken, she attempted to advise me until I explained the meds were prescribed for a horse.

The assistant in Neals Yard was gobsmacked when I bought some Rose Water Toner yesterday for my mare.
It's so soothing on fly bites and compared to the price of any equine lotions, £15 is not so bad.

( My mare usually gets Witch hazel at £1 a bottle though..)

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
Hydrogen peroxide for me too.

Poor lad at boots looked ever so suspicious! I love it for cuts on me too, so far I've managed to avoid getting a nasty cut on my arm infected!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My mum shot off to the chemist one Sunday, years ago, when one of the mares had colic. Vet recommended liquid paraffin but didn't have much with him. The chemist didn't open until 12.00 noon, mum was waiting for the door to be opened, then rushed in and asked for '2 pints of liquid paraffin, please' The pharmacist and the queue of people waiting for emergency prescriptions, were somewhat gob-smacked!

I've found that chemists look at you a bit suspiciously when you ask for large amounts of epsom salts,(for tubbing foot abcsesses) too.

Last edited:

Chavhorse

Visit site
10 Tubes of KY Jelly and a box of latex gloves from a Cypriot Chemist when I was living in Cyprus!

I could not bring myself to explain after I had received the wink and an awed "ahhh"

My local village chemist here actually suggests stuff to me as she is horsey as well and apprantly the Ariats give it away lol