Following on from forever homes - should horses be sold?

idx

Visit site
Hi

The thread on discount for forever homes has got me thinking whether horses should be sold for money at all.

I wonder how different the horse world would look if people only "bought" from the breeder then had responsibility for that horse for its life - allowing it to go on loan if they wished (to be competed, if they lost interest etc) but ultimately having to provide a "home for life" in its elderly years if the loan home no longer wanted it. What impact would this have on welfare, competition, dealers and breeders?

Any thoughts?

cc14

Visit site
I personally think it would result in a lot of neglets and unnecessarily putting horses to sleep.

My sister events up to a high level despite only being 14, but her horse has recently picked up an injury which means it is unlikely to ever return to eventing. If she was to keep this horse, it would mean her eventing career being put on hold for at least 6 years. Loaning it out would not be an option, as our family couldn't afford to buy another. Her finding a perfect horse up for loan ready to go out and event without having been competed at certain levels (regulations about levels riders can go to on different horses in some pony club diciplines I think?) would be next to impossible. Alternatively, she could sell her current horse to a home looking for a first horse to take them to local shows, do well, give confidence and have a lot of fun on. Unfortunately, I think situations like this mean you have the right to be a little bit selfish...it would be completely unfair for her to be forced to put her eventing on hold at such a young age when her horse could be exactly what another family have been looking for.

If I was in her situation, and my horse became injured to the point of his workload being reduced drastically, I am in no doubt that I would sell him on, but being incredibly fussy about who to (as much as possible). I too am only young, as is my horse, and if he had to semi-retire tomorrow, I would rather him go somewhere to be enjoyed and appreciated. Dont get me wrong, I love him to peices, but life is way too short.

FionaM12

Visit site
Even our children grow up and cease to be our responsibility! :D

I guess the OP is putting an idea forward to start a debate, but it does seem a very strange idea. Responsible for a horse for life, come what may? Just how would that even be enforceable?

Bit silly, this. :rolleyes:

Megibo

Visit site
depends on the person....
some people have horses for a job and when it cant do the job it is sent off bags packing because they then view the horse as useless (to them). in some cases, its cause they know the horse is still good for something else and can help another person in their riding.
otherwise it's people who ride without regard to the horse they are riding i.e don't really bother building a relationship so once the horse breaks down or similar or gets old they are glad to see the back of it.

Personally I couldn't sell a horse, you never know where they end up. I have a bond with my pony, had her 6 years and hope there are many more to come. I'd quite happily let her live out the rest of her days as an ornament in my field and have the joy of giving her a groom. I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. But whilst I can still ride her, that's great!

missyme10

Visit site
My daughter recently out grew her pony, I think 13 is to young to retire a good pony, so we rightly so sold her to a lovely home and she is now teaching another child the ropes.

I think the idea of forever homes for all horses would be nice in an ideal world, but most of us live in the real world.

ABC

Visit site
I agree with the above.

In theory; amazing.
In reality; wouldn't work.

Personally my horse will never be sold, if I could no longer afford him then I would loan him out/give him to a friend :)

FionaM12

Visit site
depends on the person....
some people have horses for a job and when it cant do the job it is sent off bags packing because they then view the horse as useless (to them). in some cases, its cause they know the horse is still good for something else and can help another person in their riding.
otherwise it's people who ride without regard to the horse they are riding i.e don't really bother building a relationship so once the horse breaks down or similar or gets old they are glad to see the back of it.

Personally I couldn't sell a horse, you never know where they end up. I have a bond with my pony, had her 6 years and hope there are many more to come. I'd quite happily let her live out the rest of her days as an ornament in my field and have the joy of giving her a groom. I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. But whilst I can still ride her, that's great!

You miss out those people who have to part with their horse due to circumstances, even if it breaks their heart. And it doesn't matter if you sell for money, or give away free, you STILL can't be sure where they end up.

EllenJay

Visit site
What about people who do not want to buy a baby - are they not allowed to own their own horse because no-one is allowed to sell other than the original breeder?

What abiout people who want a top class drassage/eventer/SJ/etc buy a baby and then 5/6 years down the road realise the horse is not up to the job. Do they have to put their own dreams on hold, start resenting the horse and deny someone else the opportunity to own their forever horse.

Mad idea!!

idx

Visit site
Me too???? Circumstances change too much, and horses are working animals not pets - well to me anyway.

I think you hit the nail on the head - whether you consider horses pets or working animals would influence your thoughts on this.

I personally think it would result in a lot of neglets and unnecessarily putting horses to sleep.

I think you are probably right with this and I would imagine we would then need more Dogs Trust/horses Trust as people abadoned horses.

An interesting debate please continue;)

indie999

Visit site
The only time I think a horse should be in a forever home is when people sell them due to them being retired/unrideable etc ie as the seller knows they have no more use for them..ie just get rid so they dont have to do PTS etc or care for them anymore. I think that is a disservice to the horse. Unfortunate but a human duty to care for the animal humanely.

But I do think horses should change hands to be kept in work..perhaps the title should be horses forever in good homes? If only!

SO1

Visit site
Of course not otherwise what would happen to children who outgrew their ponies or lost interest....i mean would the parents have to be responsible for them forever! I think it would have a devastating effect on childrens' ponies with many ending up being PTS if the child looses interest and if there was no option of selling on.

I bought my pony as 5 year old and have no plans to sell him but I would not have a pony if the only option was to buy a foal from a breeder as I am not competent to back a pony myself. Also how would riding schools work?

It is a completely unpractical idea.

Horsey_dreams

Visit site
i don't think there is any reason to be lost for words or speechless, all OP has done is asked a question...
It would be great if people took more responsibility for their horses, especially the ones who enjoy them for years then sell them on for cheap in their late teens or 20's. The reality is of course that horses can be brought and sold, and sometimes its for the good of the horse, ie its too much for the rider, outgrown etc.

Ali27

Visit site
My three horses are with me for life! My daughter outgrew her old pony so she is out on loan and then will retire with us! I couldn't sell as would worry about what happened to them as they got older! I guess I treat my girls as pets rather than working animals. Selling them would be like giving a dog/ cat away for me as they are very much part of the family!

FionaM12

Visit site
My three horses are with me for life! My daughter outgrew her old pony so she is out on loan and then will retire with us! I couldn't sell as would worry about what happened to them as they got older! I guess I treat my girls as pets rather than working animals. Selling them would be like giving a dog/ cat away for me as they are very much part of the family!

You are very fortunate to be so sure your circumstances will never force you to part. For most of us, if we lost our jobs or became very ill or other life-changing crisis occurred, we probably wouldn't be able to pay the livery, farrier, vets and feed bills etc. A roof over our own heads (and our family's if we have one) would have to take priority.

jeeve

Visit site
It would be impractical, although a nice thought, but while we are often a bit soft about the thought of selling them, the horses themselves adapt reamarkably well. They don't really care who is feeding and looking after thme as long as they are fed etc.

I have nothing against selling my horses/ponies, the money is irrelevant. I do try and find a good home, but I am not of the viewpoint that only I can offer a good home to the animal. I also accept that unfortunately once the horse is sold, they are out of your hands, you no longer have any say about them, and there is a possibility that they may meet less fortunate circumstances.

Loaning does give an option for some peope, I think that this has its own problems, but it still is an alternative to selling and not having any say about the horse at all.

Unfortunately there always will be some people that for whatever reason do not look after their animals, (or children or partners), but, the solution is through legal remedies, (and these may not be perfect but still the right way to handle it). H & H magazine often has articles about people being fined or banned from ownership.

rubysmum

Visit site
well, if you couldnt ever sell horses/ponies on - i would have a small herd of [ well, 3] outgrown ponies - with no job to do & probably meaning that i would need to do 3 jobs to support us all AND i would stilll own Oliver , a horse i detested & couldnt manage who was sold to someone who loves him & has taken him much further than i could -selling can sometimes be the best thing that can happen to a horse - why do we assume that only we can offer our horse what they need

idx

Visit site
i don't think there is any reason to be lost for words or speechless, all OP has done is asked a question...
It would be great if people took more responsibility for their horses, especially the ones who enjoy them for years then sell them on for cheap in their late teens or 20's. The reality is of course that horses can be brought and sold, and sometimes its for the good of the horse, ie its too much for the rider, outgrown etc.

I agree with all this.

Its really interesting to read peoples thoughts on this - some posters cant see what would happen with childrens ponies yet others have said they currently loan out their childrens previous ponies. Some think it preposterous yet others are in effect operating this system (home for life).

The human race had proved repeatedly what is considered normal today can be viewed as barbaric in 50 years time. At present, for the majority money probably stops this ideology of a home for life being a reality.

Good to get you all talking :)

tinap

Visit site
I also believe they are working animals not pets. Yes in the ideal world I would keep everything & not sell a thing but that's never going to happen!! We can afford 1 - so when the daughter outgrows it in either height or ability then it gets sold on to teach another kid & so we can get another. I've only sold 1 but have the horrible job of selling our current one next year as she will be moving to horses. I don't want to sell him, I love him to bits, but if she wants to carry on competing then he has to go. Don't get me wrong, if I had 1 that had to retire then I would somehow have to find a solution, but a fit working horse would be sold on.

FionaM12

Visit site
My horses arent "pets" their to expensive their not a cat or dog!!! Their a working animal

My dictionary defines a pet as, "a tame animal kept for companionship or amusement." Pretty much sums up most of the horses I know. I don't think how expensive they are makes them less of a pet.

Some dogs are very costly and there are breeds of cats which cost thousands to buy, I believe.

noblesteed

Visit site
I would love to be able to say that my horse has a forever home with me. I have no intention whatsoever of ever selling him, I love him to bits and would really struggle to find another like him. I would love him to spend the rest of his days with me, both ridden and in retirement. I love riding him, I have no burning desire to compete at high levels, he is more than capable of what I ask him to do.
But circumstances may change, as I am having a baby soon. Money is not a problem but I may find I no longer have time for him when baby comes - i don't know how I am going to feel. As he is a horse that enjoys his work it would be VERY unkind of me to turn him away in a field for 4 years until my child can have a pony and we can ride together. By then I may have had another child too. My horse is 12, well schooled, steady and jumps very well and so he would make a fabulous schoolmaster or 2nd horse for someone, and as he is also pretty much bombproof he would also make someone a fantastic happy hacker.

So although I would like to, I cannot say that my horse has a forever home as circumstances do change!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
to me they are a working animal... same as the many sheepdogs and gundogs that are sold on in exactly the same way as horses;) Often also for 4 figure sums of money. Its the norm for sheep trials people to sell on a dog they dont click with and most usually have young dogs in training that are sold on later.