Following on from Grand National thread...

AMH

Visit site
... very sad news today that the Johnson family's lovely chaser Great Endeavour, in training with David Pipe, was destroyed this week after a paddock accident.

The connections are all very upset at the loss. I, for one am, horrified that they would take such a blatant risk with their animal's health, simply for their own selfish wishes to see him running around in the field. Disgraceful.

No horse of mine will ever be turned out in a paddock.

Last edited:

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Yes, I saw this on the Racing Post website, and commented on it and still got moaned at for saying it can happen anywhere. Sorry for the loss of this beautiful horse, but that's the risk of putting a horse in a field. You never know what you might come back to find. Such a shame though, he was lovely, and a good racehorse too. So sorry for all his connections. RIP Great Endeavour

Littlelegs

Visit site
Such a shame. First horse I ever knew to die was a paddock accident when I must have been 7 or 8. Owner was watching her two geldings play fighting which they did a lot & one caught the other in the head resulting in its death. I didn't witness it but the memory has stayed with me. Still like horses out with company though.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Yes, I like mine to be out too, enjoying life, being a horse. My old racehorse, Bob, loved to play with my other horse, Murphy, and sometimes you would have your heart in your mouth, but they got such pleasure of being out together. The old rascal, would run rings rounds poor old Murphy.

kirstykate

Visit site
... very sad news today that the Johnson family's lovely chaser Great Endeavour, in training with David Pipe, was destroyed this week after a paddock accident.

The connections are all very upset at the loss. I, for one am, horrified that they would take such a blatant risk with their animal's health, simply for their own selfish wishes to see him running around in the field. Disgraceful.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How could they I am totally disgusted, turning a horse out, shamefull:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
These things can happen any where and it's only because it's a racer that it's in the news, ive known of horses that have 'paddock accidents' have to be pts i also know of a lady who didnt turnout her horse because she was worried that would happen and he kicked the crap out of his stable to try and get to the herd and had to be put to sleep.

X

Langley

Visit site
My horse got kicked by another horse and had to be pts, broke my heart when I found him in the field. Still miss by boy :eek:(

B_2_B

Visit site
These things can happen any where and it's only because it's a racer that it's in the news, ive known of horses that have 'paddock accidents' have to be pts i also know of a lady who didnt turnout her horse because she was worried that would happen and he kicked the crap out of his stable to try and get to the herd and had to be put to sleep.

X

But it's not in the news, it's on the racing post website only and it is there to update the racing community and the people who care. The people who would wonder where he was if he did not race again without an explanation.
It will not get in the "news", the people who have been up in arms about the GN will most likely not know, and if they do hear they will not care. They re-emerge every year to "mourn" the deaths of the horses they only learnt the names of that morning.

The people who knew Great Endeavour and the people who followed his career will be the ones who care, the ones paying their respects today to a wonderful horse.

It is a timely reminder that horses in any discipline are extremely fragile and whether it is a race horse or a family pet it is devastating for the people who knew the horse.

The dust is settling now over the GN, but there will be other stories like this in the year before the next one. The only people outside of those connected to the horses who will know about it are the people who follow racing and read the racing post and racing websites. Their deaths will be no more or no less deserving of the coverage those of Synchronised and According to Pete received but it does not matter that they don't get it, the people who care and the people who matter will be the ones paying respects and many will go under the radar until the GN next year when everyone will resurface to shout the odds and become armchair experts again.

AMH

Visit site
My horse got kicked by another horse and had to be pts, broke my heart when I found him in the field. Still miss by boy :eek:(

So sorry to hear, Langley, it must have been devastating :( I'm fortunate enough never to have come across a catastrophic paddock injury - I can't imagine it. And, at the risk of being leapt on, I'd say it's worse for the horse than a racing injury, because there's unlikely to be the anaesthetic effect of adrenaline at play.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think too for a paddock accident (or any other incident resulting in destruction) unless at a race or similar there's always a wait for the vet or hunt which however short is still an awful time for the horse. Waiting with a horse with a broken leg is not an experience I'd like to go through again, even 30 mins feels like days.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
But it's not in the news, it's on the racing post website only and it is there to update the racing community and the people who care. The people who would wonder where he was if he did not race again without an explanation.
It will not get in the "news", the people who have been up in arms about the GN will most likely not know, and if they do hear they will not care. They re-emerge every year to "mourn" the deaths of the horses they only learnt the names of that morning.

The people who knew Great Endeavour and the people who followed his career will be the ones who care, the ones paying their respects today to a wonderful horse.

It is a timely reminder that horses in any discipline are extremely fragile and whether it is a race horse or a family pet it is devastating for the people who knew the horse.

The dust is settling now over the GN, but there will be other stories like this in the year before the next one. The only people outside of those connected to the horses who will know about it are the people who follow racing and read the racing post and racing websites. Their deaths will be no more or no less deserving of the coverage those of Synchronised and According to Pete received but it does not matter that they don't get it, the people who care and the people who matter will be the ones paying respects and many will go under the radar until the GN next year when everyone will resurface to shout the odds and become armchair experts again.
HHO needs a 'like' button. Well said. :)

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com

Brilliantly put B2B!! So sad about Great Endeavour, R.I.P.

rhino

Visit site

More petty point scoring. Just what we need :rolleyes:

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Horses need freedom to stretch their legs and brain,mine go out everyday come rain shine snow or hard frost, as I've owned 2 horses that in their past had been kept in 24/7 and talk about their stress levels when kept in 24 for some reason,even racehorses and other competion horses need download time.

bumblelion

Visit site
Yes, I like mine to be out too, enjoying life, being a horse. My old racehorse, Bob, loved to play with my other horse, Murphy, and sometimes you would have your heart in your mouth, but they got such pleasure of being out together. The old rascal, would run rings rounds poor old Murphy.

My boys do this too, they play fight lots and I watch them on tender hooks! They're enjoying themselves though, that's the main thing. Plus, if I separate them they just charge at the fence to get back to each other :(. Play fight or stable 24/7?! Hmm, horses are horses at the end of the day. They can easily injure themselves stabled too!