Following on from my Prascend thread

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I posted a while ago about my theory that my ponies, one in particular was much better when I ran out of pills.
One is 30 ish and on 3/4 (three quarters not 3 or 4 tablets!)
The other 17 and has a quarter.
Both have always been quite bouncy lively ponies, both have become far quieter and lost their jig a bit. I had told myself, especially the older what on earth do I expect- he’s 30 and obviously going to slow down. Until at Christmas I ran out, stupidly misjudged and got my ordering wrong.
Ponies both got their jig back.
I did restart them both because I was worried about not giving it to them, however the older in particular has gradually gone down hill again.
There’s nothing wrong with him, he just presents as you may expect an elderly pony to.
He walks behind me, when I bring all the horses in together in the morning I’m holding them back for him, when I turn out he wanders off.
He used to jog alongside, bouncing round and go for a canter and bit of a buck when I released them in the field.

So, I’ve decided all the variables at the moment are good. I have a good supply of the same hay that he’s fine with, the field is not grassy, his routine is very steady and samey. He is consistently eating the same food so I’m going to give it a try again.
Not sure how long it will take but if he picks up this time I think I’ll know for sure.

At which point I’ll speak to my vet because I think I’d rather him have a springy 6 months than a sad 5 years left.

Watch this space….

Noble

Visit site
My elderly horse, 1 pill a day, lost his love of life and looked so poor I decided to PTS before that winter arrived. It seemed pointless medicating a horse once this decision had been made so I stopped the pills, I got my old boy back! He carried on for another 5 years with a grin on his face and was only PTS due to slipping and breaking his pelvis (being daft right until the end). I hope you have a similar outcome (without the pelvis issue:rolleyes:).

Bradsmum

Visit site
I have a very elderly Section C who in her 20s was diagnosed with Cushing and went on a course of prascend. She had a high scoring and so initially went on 1 tablet a day. She lost her spark so with vet’s agreement I reduced it to half daily but it made little difference. I persevered until her next blood test was due - there was little difference to her scoring 😏. So as she was already in her 20s and retired I decided to stop the prascend to see if my old pony would come back to life and then I prepared myself for making the decision to put to sleep if all was not well. However she thrived and is now in her 40s and still trots up for her dinner sometimes. I had to make the decision 4 years ago whether to call it a day or transport her 270 miles to come to Wales with her. She took it like a pro. I admit that now in her mid-40s she dozes off for much of the day but she still has a good appetite and I’m glad of the decisions I made for her in her 20s.

katie_southwest

Visit site
I have a 25 year old cushings mare. I actually had the opposite, she was depressed and I thought she had given up on life a couple of years ago, until she got diagnosed.
She is on 1 pill a day, and she has her spark back in her eyes and is cantering up the field to me again :)
They are all different arent they, the main thing is that we keep them happy as best we can however that may be!
The issue I will have with mine is more her teeth. She sadly has no grinding teeth that work anymore so is living off hay replacers so is quite difficult keeping weight on her over the winter.
When the time comes that I feel her quality of life is not sufficient, I will make the decision. As you say, rather them have a happy few months than a sad few years.
Hopefully you have a long time together yet :)

Britestar

Visit site
I too have an older horse with cushings.
Hes been treated for maybe 6 years with half a tablet a day.
He's had a few bouts of colic recently, and for the last 3 years odd, constant loose poops.

After the last colic I decided to stop his prascend for a few days. Next day he had proper poops.

After discussion with a vet friend I have kept him off.
He's full of cheek again (think found him in the garden Sat am, pushed door open, raided the sweety tub, found his breakfast and raided the bin 🙄 ), and continues to have normal poops.
This surely must make him feel better in itself as constant diarrhoea is draining.

It may be that when the grass starts coming through I may pop him back on ( not that he's ever had laminitis, he's a skinny minnie), but will play it by ear.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Update. This time It made no difference so we have decided to start him on danilon daily and see if that works him up.
Although he has been doing quite well just the past week or so. Seems to come and go a bit.
Hopefully some pain killer will help him out.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Having looked at his pass port after a surprise fb memory popped up he’s actually 32 years old! Deserves a bit of help and to be allowed to slow down! 🥰