Following on from popularbreeds, what unusual breeds do you see in your area?

Aru

Visit site
At work we get a pretty wide variety. On the more unusual....hmm..
Bracco Italiano
Coton Du tulear
Brussels griffon
lagotto rogmanolo
Neo mastiff
and a dingo(if they count as a dog?) are probably the more unusual ones I've met recently.
Oh and we see dozens of Italian greyhounds.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
At work we get a pretty wide variety. On the more unusual....hmm..
Bracco Italiano
Coton Du tulear
Brussels griffon
lagotto rogmanolo
Neo mastiff
and a dingo(if they count as a dog?) are probably the more unusual ones I've met recently.
Oh and we see dozens of Italian greyhounds.
Dingo as a pet?!

In my last school, the receptionist had a Coton, which became the school dog and came to staff briefings, sitting on someone’s knee and acted as a PAT dog when students went to reception for issues.

SDMabel

Visit site
We have a dog in the village next to my yard that looks like a mop.

Having googled it , I believe its Hungarian Puli ? It's far too short to be a komondor .

You cannot see it's legs, or a face - it's literally just a levitating blob of hair.

My mare is usually unflappable by most things, but the first time she spotted him she planted in the middle of the road, did those loud dragon snorts and tap danced sideways before eventually cantering past.

She's got a bit better with him, but still keeps an ear in his direction 😆

Clodagh

Visit site
Dingo as a pet?!

In my last school, the receptionist had a Coton, which became the school dog and came to staff briefings, sitting on someone’s knee and acted as a PAT dog when students went to reception for issues.
When I was in Oz it was illegal to have pet dingos, but I’m sure that’s changed now. You used to see a lot of crosses out and about.
A friend had one, supposedly lab x, he might have been. Other dogs always wanted to fight him, he smelt different I think.

Aru

Visit site
Dingo as a pet?!

Dingos control and laws for keeping vary state by state. But yes as a pet...and no it didn't make a good pet or patient as it happens. Being hand raised didn't remove the wild element.
Thankfully they appear to be quite healthy.

Aru

Visit site
Plenty of Lagottos around here, I'm not a fan.

I've got 2 wolf hybrids as clients - they're so different from dogs
I had hoped lagottos were just a disaster here..but the overwhelming majority have been difficult dogs, may with chronic health issues-especially ears and anxiety. I've only met one I liked and could handle easily. Definately on the never would own list.

druid

Visit site
I had hoped lagottos were just a disaster here..but the overwhelming majority have been difficult dogs, may with chronic health issues-especially ears and anxiety. I've only met one I liked and could handle easily. Definately on the never would own list.

Neurotic, fear agressive and horrible skin/ears. The ones I've dealt with haven't sold me on them

Squeak

Visit site
Neurotic, fear agressive and horrible skin/ears. The ones I've dealt with haven't sold me on them

The lagottos I have known have also not been dogs suitable for the average owner. I know the breed club have been working hard to try and improve this with breeding and from when I met my first one years ago there has been a huge improvement but they still wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and not easy - they wouldn't be what I'd pick either.

Eta - for full disclosure/ balance I do know one who is quite goofy and sweet but I still don't think the average owner would be able to deal with it.

conkers

Visit site
Most unusual dog I've come across was a Pekingese. The owner was surprised that I knew what it was.

There was a Manchester Terrier in our puppy class. Very cute but tiny.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The lagottos I have known have also not been dogs suitable for the average owner. I know the breed club have been working hard to try and improve this with breeding and from when I met my first one years ago there has been a huge improvement but they still wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and not easy - they wouldn't be what I'd pick either.

Eta - for full disclosure/ balance I do know one who is quite goofy and sweet but I still don't think the average owner would be able to deal with it.

This adds context to the warning that came out after one won Crufts which was basically 'if you're thinking of getting one, don't'

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Most unusual dog I've come across was a Pekingese. The owner was surprised that I knew what it was.

There was a Manchester Terrier in our puppy class. Very cute but tiny.
There was a peke in the park (loving the alliteration!) a few weeks back. Apparently she’d just had a litter. I kind of recognised what she was, but she looked nothing like the neighbour’s from decades ago. Dunno if the breed has morphed into something healthier, hopefully?
This adds context to the warning that came out after one won Crufts which was basically 'if you're thinking of getting one, don't'
It’s easy t9 see wh6 people might like them, they look like a poo cross! Are they difficult to train or something? There’s a few litters for sale in the UK!

Chucho

Visit site
Where we are now (western Canada) most dogs are long haired types (for obvious reasons), so we see a lot of husky/malamute/Bernese mountain dogs/newfies and their crosses. Surprisingly few spaniels. Poo crosses abound! We live near a gorgeous white/black spotted blue heeler bitch and know a couple of very sweet shiba inus, neither of which I've seen in the UK before.

Aru

Visit site
There was a peke in the park (loving the alliteration!) a few weeks back. Apparently she’d just had a litter. I kind of recognised what she was, but she looked nothing like the neighbour’s from decades ago. Dunno if the breed has morphed into something healthier, hopefully?

It’s easy t9 see wh6 people might like them, they look like a poo cross! Are they difficult to train or something? There’s a few litters for sale in the UK!
Poor tolerance of handling. Varying levels of fear aggression, anxiety and behaviour issues. Most often combined with ear issues due to densely hair filled ears and underlying allergic skin disease. The temperment issues can mean unwilling tolerate handling unsedated. Owners who can't medicate at home because the dog also bites them to when they dont like something so ongoing management issues. Lots of drugs for these guys. Expensive creatures.

I've met a unicorn lagotto or two...but overall the breeds got a reputation for being very difficult in the vet world in Oz where its a surprise when you meet a nice one.
The vast majority of poodle mixes are much easier to handle then the average lagotto...

Sealine

Visit site
I've just returned from a riding holiday in Spain and the owners had a lovely Spanish water dog. Apparently they are smaller than the Portuguese version. It goes for a daily swim in sea which helps maintain it's coat which the owner combs through with her fingers daily to prevent matting. It's a very active, super friendly little dog that's great around the horses. I'm rarely taken with dogs I meet out and about but I rather liked this one.

Annette4

Visit site
I've just returned from a riding holiday in Spain and the owners had a lovely Spanish water dog. Apparently they are smaller than the Portuguese version. It goes for a daily swim in sea which helps maintain it's coat which the owner combs through with her fingers daily to prevent matting. It's a very active, super friendly little dog that's great around the horses. I'm rarely taken with dogs I meet out and about but I rather liked this one.
Some friends of mine have Spanish Water Dogs and use to breed them, I do like them. There's a team of SWDs who compete in flyball together.