Following on from recent Parelli post!

JAK

Visit site
We don't 'do' Parelli or any other named version of NH as such! The Baggage has never seen a carrot stick, a fancy control halter or done 'join-up'!
According to some Parelli etc. fans however, us not employing such methods means that we neither love nor have a true bond with our ponies!
If so, how come.........:

1. The Baggage comes to call at a trot/canter/gallop when MD appears, often accompanied by loud whinnies etc. & when turned back out, she stands at the field gate waiting for MD to walk up the drive & turn the corner, only moving away when she is finally out of sight?

2. Communicates constantly with soft whickers or deep 'Hh, hh, hh' noises at her & although relaxed, pays attention to her constantly & appears relaxed & peaceful whenever she is with her?

3. Leads like this (see below)?
(Note how she is making an effort to keep pace with MD, hold a constant position (even when turning right or changing pace!) & is paying attention to her all the time!
When she puts her face into MD's space however, albeit momentarily, she is instantly rebuffed & obeys immediately!
Note the length of leadrope & the pony's demeanour. (This same pony has towed people from one end of the yard to the other & is far from a 'beach donkey'!)

MD has barely even heard of Parelli, so how does she do it then?
If you think however, you can do better with Parelli or other methods, let's see it......post your vids & show us where we're going wrong! We're always open to suggestions! lol

Theresa_F

Visit site
Baggage sounds like mine - only odd thing I do is my fish finger stance on Stinky and now I rarely do that as a hiss is enough.

Only stick Chancer evers sees is the one on his backside for when the nice asking is ignored - and again that is rare.

However, I do go barefoot, ride treeless, feed organic fibre and have long hair (horses and me) - have founded the Hairy Hippy Horse Lovers Club.
grin.gif

Chancer will follow after my little cousin for ages - everywhere she goes he is trotting along behind - is this NH?

Actually my bible is Richard Maxwell's Birth to Backing - that is one chap that makes a lot of sense.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Looks like they've got a wonderful bond. Lovely to see that loose rope. When we bought Murph lady who owned him said he wasn't very affectionate and she had never heard him whicker or whinny to her. Don't get me wrong, he was very well looked after and they did love him. However, daughter spends loads of time just being with him and we get loads of whinnies. I would always know when she was walking back from the school bus as he would stand by the gate watching her. Think he does miss her whilst she is at university.

JAK

Visit site
I suppose it is all NH Theresa, we just don't give it a fancy name or make out it's some magic new discovery or invention! lol

Like video - it's of someone leading a respectful, obedient pony - well, that's my point exactly! Do you really need a course or a book for that, it's not exactly bl**dy rocket science is it?
tongue.gif
wink.gif

JAK

Visit site
Murph sounds lovely! I just find it really annoying to be told that our ponies are somehow missing out because we don't employ such & such methods, it's just so damn patronising!
mad.gif

Capriole

Visit site
me too JAK, i went to see richard maxwell years ago and a lot of what he did was just common sense, much of this NH seems to be old ideas with new marketing and toys/accessories

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Thanks, he is certainly a character! I know just what you mean though about "new" methods. I have always been more involved with dogs than horses and it can be the same with methods of training . Some (not all by any means) disciples of clicker training look down on those who do it any other way. I don't have a problem with clicker training, I admire the wonderful results some people have with it but because I choose not to use it does not mean I care any less for my dogs. I know very little about parelli, haven't watched the free dvd that came with Horse yet, but I am put off by the attitude of some who use it.

bex1984

Visit site

what a lovely video JAK, those two have such a lovely bond.

I've never done any NH type stuff with my ponio, yet he will follow me round, leads a lot like BB in that vid, and I know exactly when he wants a cuddle - he has his own way of telling me. But he has his moments when he tries it on - and he gets a swift "OI!!! NO!!" from me and that's all it takes.

I did pass the Parelli stand at the Royal and heard a visitor saying to one of the people on the stand "Thank you so much for sparing the time to come over here....this country really needs you". And I walked away...

rach1984horse

Visit site
I have looked at some NH methods whilst at college. I have tried some of the different methods and techniques for certain circumstances, however don't religiously follow NH methods in everyday life.

I think with all things in life there is no harm in trying and learning new things, then picking out the excercises and theories that you will find useful.

It doesn't matter what name you put on any of it. I think at the end of the day when it comes to horses good old fashioned common sense works best - wether it's using old fashioned or NH methods.

JAK

Visit site
Without making it sound like an aggressive 'challenge' or anything, I really would like to see the results of some ordinary horse owners who have got to Parelli level whatever with their neddy & can show a (consistently!) high standard of behaviour & attitude!

There must be somebody out there who has done it 'by the book' Parelli wise who can match the level of Tia's horses for example!
(Tia is MY personal hero when it comes to training & behaviour! Maybe SHE should write a book! lol)

tabithakat64

Visit site
Mine are the same with me as BB is with MD, it's time and consistancy that creates a strong bond not £100's of parelli equipement. I do rate Richard Maxwell highly and have brought one of his books as I'd like to do some ground work with Fudge.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My Murphy refuses to partake in Parelli, I did give it a good go but he became violent when I was playing the games with him, striking out with his front legs. I stopped needless to say, it was like he got very confused and didn't want me to try to be a horse. He does do join up well and follows me everywhere.
I also can ride him bare back with a rope around his neck, do walk to canter, canter figures of eight with simple changes and rein back. Now I'm not parelli level whatever just had good balance and a well schooled horse.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Lovely photo! My two also lead like this, but have nutty moments too! I like to think it's because they have personalities and are living breathing creatures, but no doubt it's really because I hate them and they hate me!!! (ha ha) Monty Roberts told me that I couldn't get a bridle over my mare's ears because she didn't trust me. This'd be the same mare that does obstacle courses for fun and that marched calmly past an escaped ostrich (yes, really!!) because I asked her to. As I said before, no amount of gimmicks or gadgets or "expert" advice will make you confident if you're not or a good horseperson if you're not.

Tia

Visit site
Aww they look lovely together.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MD has barely even heard of Parelli, so how does she do it then?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's quite simple really; MD must be a natural and Baggage totally trusts her.
cool.gif