Following on - how many people own previously abused horses?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have had many rescue horses over the years, not one of them has come from Travellers. One I have now was imported from Spain, but unfortunately all of his "abuse" was inflicted in the UK due entirely to ignorance and timidity on the part of his genuinely "loving" novice owners. He is an exceptionally sensitive soul and the least suitable for a novice I've ever encountered.

I am wary of assigning every flinch and quirk to unknown prior alleged abuse, 'though - one of the most whip shy horses I've ever known was bred and trained by the owner and absolutely was NEVER hit in his life: some horses are just funny about sticks, or touching their head, or an array of things like that.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I’m pretty sure Kevin, my Clydesdale was roughly treated. If he makes a mistake he expects to be hit and the first time I took a broom into his stable he attempted to melt into the wall he was so scared. My new lad is head shy, we are ignoring it and it will hopefully fade as he comes to realise he won’t be beaten or smacked in the face here

LaurenBay

Visit site
Mine was passed around 6 owners in the space of a year (I was the 6th and final!). One of the owners didn't have any room for her so left on her a Horse lorry for a month and half. They skipped her out and fed and watered her. But she stayed on the lorry with no turnout and no interaction with other Horses. When I got her she was very shut down, no real personality at all. I actually found it really hard to bond with her or love her because she was basically a rocking Horse. She had a big fear of stables and would refuse to go in. After about a year she came out of her shell and her stabling got better and better. She will not settle in a stable if it doesn't bars to see into the next stable though. If it is fully boarded up on all sides she panics.

Talism4n

Visit site
I've had a couple, with varying degrees of strange behaviour and mistreatment.

Current boy was terrified of having someone touching his flanks to start with, would spin and threaten to kick or bite when trying to mount or put saddle on and still gets defensive far more quickly than the others when he's worried. I get the sense based on other behaviour and what I know of his history that he was a much loved pet of a novice way out of their depth. He's a typical hot Arab, so I think either a saddle or a sloppy attempt to mount made him anxious for future attempts, starting a cycle of him refusing to stand, getting knocked by a hurried attempt to get on him, then him getting worse, eventually learning that by getting aggressive he could scare them out of doing things that hurt him, but he's otherwise very sweet and cuddly so clearly had some good times with the person who had him for most of his life. A few weeks of taking my time and showing him I was listening and he's now fine. Not abuse, but a story I can clearly work out that left emotional scars for him.

My old boy was more of an enigma. Lovely to handle and an exceptionally talented jumper, but when he got anything wrong the response was terrifying. Took me 4 years to truly get him out of panicking at every mistake, and to begin with it took at least 10 minutes to stop him galloping wildly. Got lost a lot out hacking when he took off and went for miles - we had steering, just no brakes. He turned into the most loyal horse I've ever met, and he got me out of no end of lethal situations, but he never lost his edge and would chase off people he thought were threatening to me - led to a few interesting situations with a guy doing our stable roof who creeped me out as the horse wouldn't let him anywhere near me unless I gave the cue to back off. After a few years we found out that he had actually been sold because he kept ditching his old rider and coming back to kick out at her when she got up. After a couple of years with me, he would come running and either guard me or let me use him for balance if I fell off or tripped within site of him - I used to pretend to cry or fall when he was hard to catch and he'd come as soon as he heard me. I owned him for the rest of his life and he was far and away the kindest, smartest animal I've ever met, even when he was suffering and pumped full of drugs towards the end, so all I can conclude is that someone really did a number on him to push him to that extreme behaviour. I'd have loved to have seen what he'd have been like if he'd been treated kindly, but by the same token I would never have ended up with him if his life had taken a different course and I don't think either of us would have wanted to miss out on the friendship we had. I've never loved anything like I loved him.

I have another who was hobbled and beaten, and remains terrified of men 20 years later, but he's an amazing children's pony. Then there's my actual rescue, who was simply neglected and unhandled. He's been bold as brass from day one and isn't scared of anything. Out of 6 horses, 3 were mistreated, 2 of whom came from nice competition yards. My first pony came from a certain sector of the population and had clearly been well managed his whole life. Just goes to show that anyone can hurt their animals.

vmac66

Visit site
My previous and current horses have both come from travellers. Zac had been used as a breeding stallion and had had very little contact with horses socially having been tethered most of his life. He was cut when he was 4. The girl who bought him from the travellers said they were going to shoot him as they just didn't want him anymore.
He was very headshy when I got him. It took me 15 months to get him to trust me.
Indie is still very headshy and will grunt and turn away with eyes rolling if she thinks she is going to get hit as in a sudden hand movement near her head.
She is very wary of men.
I have had her just over a year and we have a great bond and trust in each other

Nudibranch

Visit site
There are plenty of horses about who have issues one way or another which are nothing to do with abuse - as I have already said I've previously thought far too many people claimed their horses were abused to explain away quirks. However when you come across it, there is definitely a difference. I've had my share of quirks to sort out over the last 30 odd years but I am absolutely convinced the Fell has been handled roughly and hit about the head at some point. It's just different body language.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am wary of assigning every flinch and quirk to unknown prior alleged abuse, 'though - one of the most whip shy horses I've ever known was bred and trained by the owner and absolutely was NEVER hit in his life: some horses are just funny about sticks, or touching their head, or an array of things like that.

Agree. I had a horse who was extremely, violently, protective of his food. I knew him from birth and he had never been short of food in his life. His mother shared her hard food with him and he always had grass or hay available.

Boulty

Visit site
I own a horse whose entire history is known. I'm only his 3rd owner including his breeder which given that he's 15 (or is it 14 I forget...) isn't bad going. He has not been abused but he is very reactive and prone to panicking and has unfortunately been put into the odd situation that could have been handled better. His default reaction if he's worried is to try and run away at speed but if you try to block that he's perfectly capable of resorting to kicking / rearing / trying to run through things. He's actually quite brave about anything that he hasn't had a previous bad experience with (eg planes / helicopters / motorbikes / pigs / goats / deer / donkeys are all AOK) he just has a flipping long memory about anything that does have an issue with. If someone were to randomly meet him without knowing him then some of his reactions would probably make them swear blind that he'd been mistreated

shanti

Visit site
So, three horses, three different histories, but if I wrote them down and asked someone to match the history to the horse, I don't know that they'd get it right.

Agreed. My 16 yo gelding was a rescue, I got him at age 6 and he had been beaten and starved since he was a foal. If it was not for the scares all over his legs and head you would never guess the abuse he has endured previously, even when I first got him he was chilled rarely ever showed any sign of trauma, he is the most sedate compliant horse I have ever owned. My current dressage horse on the other hand is a total nutcase. I brought him from a reputable breeder, he is a fab horse but very timid and has some overtly weird fears (he is scared of buckets and I cant leave any shoes around the stables as unless they are on human feet they are extremely dangerous!) So I think if I asked someone to pick the rescue they would probably pick him.

Smooshy

Visit site
Mine was neglected from approx 6 months old. Apologies, it's a long story.

Sold straight from dam to 2nd owner with a companion from a traveller dealer. Until approx a year old had everything he needed, then the owner got bored. Both locked in a stable with no food or hay. Just water whenever another person looked over the door. Also had a headcollar left on. Someone found out and took mine, but left the other.

3rd owner, approx 1 1/2 years old. Left in a field with no handling with lots of other horses and round bales of hay. This is the start of the food aggression! Had to be seperated as owner did not know what to do about it. 6 months later ( thinking horse had turned 3), owner decided that he was ready to start work. So sudden introduction to food (26l bucket of various not suitable feeds twice a day) and introduction to lunging/ tack. So a horse that has done nothing for 2 years is suddenly expected to know how to wear a bridle and lunge (shock horror, he did not) and so excessive use of a lunge whip was used. When lunging did not work, a saddle was plonked on and girth tight (typical didn't fit and too far forward). Was sat on and again, expected to be able to sort himself out. When he didn't, he was shouted at, whipped, booted in the ribs. So he did all he knew how to do and kicked and reared ( and I think went over backwards more than once.) Owner gave up and put back in the field, but continued feeding him, on individual turnout. Was also attacked by another horse and had a great chunk taken out of his neck. Feet also not looked after properly.

I then turned up on livery. Wasn't sure on history of horse, but found that contact on his terms was much appreciated. So daily hellos (mine in field next door) and occasionally grooms from me, owner declared he liked us and we now owned him. No was not accepted. Great....

So as a 3 year old. Terrified of certain people, scared of things behind or above him, scarred, food aggressive, head shy horse and malnourished underweight horse.
Decided that he still needed mature, so was turned away to grow up as he needed to, but was slowly introduced to leading correctly, hacking inhand and lunging in walk occasionally ( more as a walk around than for exercise). Hayed constantly and fed daily, but left to it as aggressive.

Now 5, started stabling, leading improved, still spinning when scared but no longer biting and rearing. Food aggression being worked on also. Lunging better ( no longer running backwards when scared). Tried introducing saddle after lots of physio work. Mental and physical reaction, so over a year working on tacking up and lunging. I also learnt that his companion had been PTS due to his issues including worm burden.

6 years old, finally clicked with leaning over, but no weight allowed what so ever. Cue another physio, who immediately suggests a neurological test after 'known history' of neck, back and movement behind. When negative, referred for investigations. So, from a youngster, had a sacroiliac injury, hock arthritis, fetlock arthritis, and a very sore back. Also neck injury would cause a few problems, but not yet. Cue over a year of rehab work, 6 months in walk under saddle as mentally, was what he could cope with. Mounting was still an issue, so I hold my hands up to bribery (but if it works). Slow trot work after that but not much. Now in group turnout.

8 years old, a much better personality all round! Now more open to people, no longer food aggressive, can lead/ lunge normally ( for him anyway). Walk/ trot on short bursts under saddle. Odd canter if offered. Still issues with mounting, but workable. Will now show when he is sore, so can be worked on earlier. Started trips to shows/ clinics inhand.

Now... as a 9 year old. He is a nice all round horse, and has quite the personality! But has the scars (headcollar, bite on neck, scars from barbed wire, possible burn mark) and injuries to date still causing problems, both physically and mentally. Is not so head ahy now, but his ears are an absolute no go. Although headcollar/ bridle is now ok. Still walk/ trot under saddle, occasional long side in canter. Still working on hind quarters and building topline. Pole work is exciting for him. He has a brain for work, so lots of inhand hacking/ small xc inhand, shows and clinics too. Loves the mental work ie. Lateral movements. But... needs a physio appointment every 6-8 weeks, saddle check every 1- 2 months, farrier approx every 5 weeks, plus everything in between keep him comfortable. Is likely to never be in full time work, but is happy doing something until he isn't then he will be retired. Is still an anxious horse at times, and can have extreme reactions to things, but thankfully am on a livery yard that understands how to deal with it.

Sorry, for the long story, it's not an easy one to shorten.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
The state I got my horse in it was clear he was neglected at some point - no muscle and no fat every bone sticking. He was an anxious mess very bolshy and shut down / didn’t want any interaction, didn’t look around for people and never came to you in the field or stable. If you flinched your arm at all he would shoot back head in the air flinging it up with eyes practically in the back of his skull snorting and shaking. When up in weight a bit, Ridden he was very good but almost too good there was no spark he was just going through the motions.

It took a good year for him to really come out of his shell and trust me enough to seek attention and affection now he’s a big baby and loves those long snuggles that make my heart swell and he will follow me about off lead. He will actively put his head down into my arms and just breathe on me. Ridden he is sparky and interested in what’s going on, willing to please and try new things. He takes a lot of courage from me. He still flings his head if you catch him accidentally but I tell him to wise up and he sighs and puts it back down but he’s still very sensitive and takes a while to “let go”

We’ve been working with a equine touch practitioner and she said in first session he’s always alert and on guard, struggles to let go and release. Second session he was much better. Third session he spent a good 30/40seconds totally zoned out with lip dropped after she got a good spot.

I can’t say definitely he was beat and abused cause I wasn’t there - but behaviour doesn’t lie.

From what I know of his past he spent most of his life with one lady (hunting too I think) and when sold spent two years being passed about to various hunters. Not particular “group” but it was clear he was just pulled up tacked and got on and asked to go. He was very impatient and i spent weeks getting him to just stand. He still struggles sometimes and he doesn’t stand very well to tie unless he’s very relaxed with nothing going on around him (like no people or horses moving, sometimes even the sheep in the field send him off)

In summer he can’t be stabled at all he goes mental, even one min in the stable. In winter he likes to be in at night but needs out through the day. He is very routine orientated and if I’m late by a few mins he is angry lol

Last edited:

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site
I sold one of the best ponies I ever bred to a horsey family who wanted a good example of the breed to take to the top showing. I heard from them from time to time and things seemed to be going OK. One day I got a call out of the blue saying he was too dangerous to ride any more - he was rising 5 at this point. He came back and was turned away to chill out. I started bringing him slowly back into work but he freaked out completely and shook at the sight of a saddle. It turned out that these very knowledgeable people had pushed him beyond the point of reason and quite possibly taken a whip to him. Sadly, 8 years later he is still terrified of saddles. He now lives with a good friend who adores him and hopes that one day she may ride him but doesn't mind if that doesn't happen. Such a shame that impatience ruined a very good pony.

dibbin

Visit site
Shortly after I got Jazz I discovered he was terrified of schooling whips - as in so terrified that if I led him while carrying one he would bounce along at the end of the rope with his eyes on stalks and his whole body turned away from me - so I'm pretty sure there's a story in there somewhere. He's now perfectly happy for me to ride with one (and use it) so I consider that an achievement for us both!

He also used to be very VERY wary of sudden movements, particularly around his head. He can still be a bit sharp now but nowhere near as bad as he was when I got him.

I spent a lot of time working on picking his feet up. He used to flap them around when I lifted them, and if I just hung on he was fine and would settle but if he managed to get his foot off me he would shoot off to the other end of the stable like he was expecting a leathering, so I assume he'd had one or two in the past. I then had to give him a couple of minutes to calm down before I could try picking a foot up again. I used to do one foot, then brush him a bit, then another foot ... now he's absolutely fine and doesn't bother at all.

I don't know much of his history, I'm in touch with his breeder but I think he was 2/3 when they sold him so I don't know what went on between them selling him and me buying him as a 6yo.