Following the horse kicked dog post in TR

poiuytrewq

Visit site
How did you horse proof your dog?
With Dougal I was lucky, he spent much of his life on a racing yard and never got in the way or near a horse, naturally. He was a bit nervous of them and that suited well.
cecil is small, and lively! So I poo pick when they are in and do the yard when they are out.
He too is slightly cautious naturally so sits quietly and stays to the side as they come in or go out.
We did have a slight issue with him trying to get to the person washing off horses at one point but a few “accidental” hoses in his direction means he now sits well out the way and watches!
So many people do just have dogs that seem to have no idea, running round hind legs or in and out of stables.
I was actually told when I didn’t take Cec poo picking at work due to the fact horses were in the field that “a bit of a kick would do him good” ??‍♀️
Old collie was good but is slow and deaf so follows the same rules as Cecil now.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My dog is out when fuzzies in stables and shut in hay barn when fuzzies out. She has absolutely no problem with the fuzzies but her spacial awareness is rubbish. 1st one in over 30 yrs that I've not had from a pup.
If I'm working up the fields then she's attached to a long line and anchored to something.
Little A Fuzzy is also partial to stamping on dogs.
I have no liveries and any visitors have to keep their dogs on leads.

Previous dogs were all obedience trained and did as asked when asked.

Karran

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel takes the mick a bit around ShareMare but is very cautious around horses that she doesn't know. The first time I took her on a lead to meet the horses, she went to touch noses with the pony in the stable next door who promptly sneezed over her! That was enough to put her off getting too close to another one she didnt know! I keep her onlead in the yard though as she would happily go off and help herself to various horses feed.
Mrs Collie - hmm. She is so very chase driven, I'm not sure i'd ever trust her off lead around any livestock. i'm still working on de-sensitising her to horses she doesn't know nearly two years down the line. I sometimes do some ride and lead with her and ShareMare and she will sit in the stable with her while I groom or faff (never alone). ShareMare is pretty tolerant of them although she won't take any nonsense from them. She's happy for them to move around the stable around her.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our horses were hunters and so fine with dogs. I have a photo somewhere of Dolly, the boys old pony, walking round the field with two hound puppies hanging off her tail. We did teach them that was OTT!
When I first got my rescue lurcher she escaped from the house and chased the horses, which was not so good, but she was quite bright when it suited and learned not to. Also they probably got to know hwe when she was with me and then didn't run from her, so they became boring.
Puppies we are just careful with and on the whole have been very lucky. It wouldn't have occurred to me to keep them seperate, I used to ride out with the dogs, so I always just had both together.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You don't! You keep your dogs away from the horses. Having said that we had a fabulously maternal Clydesdale who taught our JRT pups who had got into her field to keep away from horses feet by gently pushing them aside with a hoof. They never went near a horse again but that was serendipity.
Our horses and dogs have to all use the same yard but we make sure that they never are in there together. The yard boundaries are dog-proofed, so that the dogs can't get into the fields.

ETA, It rarely does any horse good to take a kick as the thread in TR shows.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
My horse loves other animals and would probably like his own dog. He is careful and gentle. But another horse at the yard would quite happily bite and stamp on any other living creature other than humans. Ideally you would find something in between to teach pup to be very cautious of horses but any horse is a risk and always will be. You would have no idea meeting the two horses that they would react so differently to a dog as on the face of it they are both nice 'normal' horses. If you have your own yard and know all the horses you may wish to consider some limited interaction but if pup is ever going to meet any other horse you probably need to try and reach pup that they are be avoided like the plague! We have dogs wandering around our yard but they all stay well away and are locked away when yard has horses moving around.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I don't remember teaching our collie to be around them but i must have done. She is obedience trained anyway with little to zero collie drive which helps i'd imagine. She got chased by my old boy once a few years ago for no reason other than she walked past him in the field and he was in a grumpy mood, and now generally she stays out of the way. I have a raised IBC container on my small yard to collect rainwater and she sits under there if there is a horse on the yard and she'll also wait there if I'm poo picking or anything else unless told otherwise. If im in the saddle i cannot get her to come to me, she just wont move from the IBC. I can walk the horse up to the neighbours school or to the top field in-hand to school and she will come with me and then i can put her in a down-stay until I've finished riding and she wont move until given permission to.

With a new puppy on the way its been on my mind for the last few days because i just need to get my head round what i want her to achieve and then break that down into baby steps and manageable training and then teach it. Very exciting :)

rara007

Visit site
Not dogs loose on our (own) yard here. I’m not the sort to be comfortable with my dog free roaming unsupervised and the yard (converted small farm) obviously isn’t dog secure. Our yard, our well behaved dogs and pretty chilled horses but still not worth the risk. If they need time out the house they get tied up whilst we’re doing things. All are respectful of horses and sometimes come camping with them while we’re competing etc. but not loose doing as they please eating horse poo and chasing cats and rats unsupervised.

SOS

Visit site
Our dogs are very used to horses especially as my OH takes his to work everyday as a farrier. Both from very young were taught to categorically not go near the horses. Mine was very curious and keen to say hello especially if there were good trimmings around, so I carried a schooling whip around with me and whacked the ground if she came too near after a verbal warning. A simple “get back” to them means stay out of the way. Also prevention was a lot better than cure, sitting her down with a chew toy whilst at the yard, putting her away when we had horses out, always in a stable etc when riding, giving chance to play with the other dogs when horses were away. We have a bit of a routine at yards and they understand when they need to sit quiet, when they can wander, when they need to be put away and when to have a good run.

It was not an option to not have them around horses so they had to learn to behave around them.

The only time I have actually physically hurt my dog was when she escaped from the tack room (opened the door) whilst I was washing down a stallion that you had to watch behind. She ran straight up to his hind legs and in between them, despite me telling her to get back and to lie down. I kicked her bottom to get her to run off, not hard. And figured a kick from me was better than a deadly kick from a horse. She hasn’t tried it again. I can’t say I’m proud of kicking her but in the moment she did need immediate reprimand as she may not of lived for a second chance. I know I’m likely going to get absolutely slated for this.

I have seen what happens when horses kick dogs, it’s not good.

Moobli

Visit site
I always kept them separate so no chance of either party getting hurt, accidentally or otherwise. It is actually one of the reasons I only have Shetlands now and it is unlikely I will have a ridden horse again, because I found I was spreading myself too thinly between horse and dog time as I don't like to mix the two. I know it works well for lots of people, just didn't suit me.

honetpot

Visit site
I kept my ponies at the back of the house, and the dogs soon learn which one they can pinch carrots off and those who would stamp on them. I would never take them on to someone else's yard, and those blooming flexileads are a nightmare, and even my daughter seems to think that they are a replacement for proper control. Some day we will have words.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I kept my ponies at the back of the house, and the dogs soon learn which one they can pinch carrots off and those who would stamp on them. I would never take them on to someone else's yard, and those blooming flexileads are a nightmare, and even my daughter seems to think that they are a replacement for proper control. Some day we will have words.
We were taking the previous appy and the draught horse out one day when a very pleasant but hopeless woman, was walking her spaniel in a flexi lead. Stopped to chat and give her chance to get out of the way, private narrow lane which actually has no public access, but I digress! Spaniel walked under the appy from the side and was heading for her front, all I could think was that cheese wire lead round my lovely mares legs?.
Thankfully the mare stood rock like and silly woman reeled the dog in.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We've always had our various dogs allowed out with the horses here, and tbh it's not been a problem.

Until the latest JRT. She was already 3 when we got her. She would chase and jump up at them if allowed, she thinks its a huge game. Despite my best efforts at on long line training, I'm pretty sure that she'd still bark and chase given the opportunity. Ironically she's a wimp, so a light chastising by a horse would see her run off - just like the stray cat sorted her out. However, I'm pretty sure that the IDx would go straight to maximum force, so that's out.

Luckily she's fine when they are stabled, so once I've brought the horses in for their breakfast she can come out to the yard with me. I can leave the stable door ajar while I pop in and out, and she won't try and come in. She gets a hour or so free time helping me poo pick etc til I shut her back in the garden before I turn the horses back out again.

It's a bit of a pain, but we're used to this new regime now.

She gets up very close to them when they are grazing in the field behind the house, but both she and the horses know that because of the dog proof sheep netting that she can't get to them. The horses blow raspberries at her, inches away from her nose. She doesn't bother about that any more, which is progress.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our dogs are very used to horses especially as my OH takes his to work everyday as a farrier. Both from very young were taught to categorically not go near the horses. Mine was very curious and keen to say hello especially if there were good trimmings around, so I carried a schooling whip around with me and whacked the ground if she came too near after a verbal warning. A simple “get back” to them means stay out of the way. Also prevention was a lot better than cure, sitting her down with a chew toy whilst at the yard, putting her away when we had horses out, always in a stable etc when riding, giving chance to play with the other dogs when horses were away. We have a bit of a routine at yards and they understand when they need to sit quiet, when they can wander, when they need to be put away and when to have a good run.

It was not an option to not have them around horses so they had to learn to behave around them.

The only time I have actually physically hurt my dog was when she escaped from the tack room (opened the door) whilst I was washing down a stallion that you had to watch behind. She ran straight up to his hind legs and in between them, despite me telling her to get back and to lie down. I kicked her bottom to get her to run off, not hard. And figured a kick from me was better than a deadly kick from a horse. She hasn’t tried it again. I can’t say I’m proud of kicking her but in the moment she did need immediate reprimand as she may not of lived for a second chance. I know I’m likely going to get absolutely slated for this.

I'm certainly not going to slate you for kicking your dog to avoid the stallion doing so but your post just shows imo why it is not a good idea to have dogs loose on yards, you told yours to get back and she ignored you. Ours are in the house when the horses are on the yard.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My neighbour has two yard dogs ... the most inappropriate dogs to be around horses EVER! Poor handling/ inconsistent training and god some of the antics they get up to around the horses in unbearable to watch and listen to! The silly thing is they are working breeds so it wouldnt take much to train them (I can shout shut up from my yard a 100 yrds away and they listen to me, lol!) Its just laziness with her and she doesnt want her little gang of follows see her raise her voice to them as they are jumping up (large breed dogs) trying to bite the horses faces as they are at the gate or in the stables! I'd have them ship-shape within the week!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I don't tend to mix the two; if I'm going up the farm specifically to ride then the dogs stay home, if they come with me it's to train or exercise and we go in whatever field the horses aren't in. All were raised around horses (on leads) and are completely unbothered, I just don't do loose dogs wandering about. For me there's little to be gained by it, I'd never forgive myself if one was kicked or run over and it makes no odds to them to be clipped on a line or parked in the car for 10 minutes if I need to do jobs, then we go and play somewhere else.

Also whilst my mare is an absolute saint, the shitland is a dog-hater and will actively chase them down to give them a clobbering. ? Don't know enough about the newbies yet, plus there's sheep to consider as well now.

SOS

Visit site
I'm certainly not going to slate you for kicking your dog to avoid the stallion doing so but your post just shows imo why it is not a good idea to have dogs loose on yards, you told yours to get back and she ignored you. Ours are in the house when the horses are on the yard.

I appreciate your response and view completely. Unfortunately it’s just not an option unless our dogs were to stay at home all the time. My OH works with horses so they go with him to lots of yards.

When they are with me, my current yard has an indoor barn with the stables in - it’s a private yard so no other liveries to worry about just the owner who has lots of dogs and myself. The dogs cannot get into the fields with the horses and are allowed to wander the yard/grass surrounding the barn/play in the arena but not into the barn when the horses are out. When riding they go in a stable or in the kennels. So really the horses and dogs don’t mix as a rule, hence why that day she was in the tack room (with the heating on as it was cooler) while the horse was out.

It sounds a lot of effort but it works for us and is worth it for the dogs to get some freedom and time. Just when someone brings a horse out to ride/turn out we just have a quick shout to put the dogs away.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Interesting that almost every reply is along the same lines as me. Keeping them separate. My dogs could in theory run into the field when I’m doing the yard or whatever but I’d never take them out there purposely and vice versa. When he was at work with me and horses were on the yard he was in a crate (generally once or twice I got caught out hence the spraying him!)
It’s just not a risk I could take, I’d be heartbroken if it went wrong.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Mine are always loose around the horses. They are very wary of them though. I have no concerns about them running up behind them or between legs or whatever else.

My only problem is that one of my dogs likes to be up front when we hack out. It's a bit annoying as it means I have to stick to a sedate canter instead of being able to gallop, as I don't want to squash the dog.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine are always loose around the horses. They are very wary of them though. I have no concerns about them running up behind them or between legs or whatever else.

My only problem is that one of my dogs likes to be up front when we hack out. It's a bit annoying as it means I have to stick to a sedate canter instead of being able to gallop, as I don't want to squash the dog.
Life goals right there!
I tried to hack with old collie when she was younger but she just turned round and came home, as she did if we had a quad or bike. Walks involve her person on feet! End of

honetpot

Visit site

My farrier(s) leaves his dog, if he has one with him, in the van. He will then ask if its OK, when has finished, if they and get out and have a stretch and a wee, and he takes them away from the horses, and we have ten minutes while they have a mooch, and we have a chat and I pay them. I have never asked them to do this, I think it's just courtesy. It's a bit like someone coming to do some work on the house, and they bring a dog or children and expect you to put up with them. I love children and I love dogs, but if I turned up for job it wouldn't take them on someone else's property.

SOS

Visit site
My farrier(s) leaves his dog, if he has one with him, in the van. He will then ask if its OK, when has finished, if they and get out and have a stretch and a wee, and he takes them away from the horses, and we have ten minutes while they have a mooch, and we have a chat and I pay them. I have never asked them to do this, I think it's just courtesy. It's a bit like someone coming to do some work on the house, and they bring a dog or children and expect you to put up with them. I love children and I love dogs, but if I turned up for job it wouldn't take them on someone else's property.

Where did I say he just lets them loose? Of course he asks and depending on yard policy, depends on what he does. One yard one of the grooms loves the dogs and times her lunch break to take them for a walk as she enjoys it… I don’t think I’ve known any farrier just turn up and let their dogs out, and 95% we know take dog/s with them to work.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have always trained my dogs from pups to sit quietly out of the way while a horse is out of its stable or field and brought onto the yard. Or if I am walking through my fields they are trained to steer well clear of any of the horses or donkeys. This is our own private yard by the way not a livery yard open to the public, they would NOT ever be taken to that sort of set up, full stop.

My two labs that I got as 3 year old adult dogs last year are a different kettle of fish. They are both from horse owning previous owners, so they are very used to horses and not the problem. The issue is one of our donkeys is extremely reactive and aggressive to unknown dogs in its field. It has never been an issue with our previous dogs, Joseph had got used to seeing them in his field from puppyhood and never showed any aggression towards them.

I am assuming because these latest dogs came to us as adults that the donkey views them as interlopers and to be chased off at the very least, and stamped on and killed if he can get to them quick enough. No wonder they keep donkeys in some parts of the world to protect herds of livestock from wild dogs! Needless to say the labs are never walked through the field containing little Joseph the dog killer!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It was a horse vet who rocked up at ours and let his JRT out to roam the place without asking…

The resident dog, who we had shut in the house, was exceptionally unimpressed at the intruder.
I always find that a bit rude and annoying. My dogs are in the garden if I’m with anyone on the yard and if random dogs are loose it really winds one of them up. My old farriers dog used to sit the other side of the garden gate and taunt him, before eating the cats food in the hay shed, pooing in my hay and chasing the chickens- that was the final straw, OH saw and let him know in no uncertain terms it was to stay in his van!