Following "yard times" post

TPO

Visit site
I've nearly always kept my horses on a private place and when I've been on livery there have never been yard times.

Due to a change in circumstances I had to move onto a yard recently. So far it's fantastic and I'm really happy with the set up and what not but it had opening/closing times. This was ok at the time but in a very short space of time circumstances have changed again and I now start work very early. There isn't enough time to get to work if I arrive on the yard to turn out at opening time.

The yo isn't flexible on opening times but does offer a turn out service. 1) I'm paranoid about all my horses so I like to be the one to check them/legs/stables in the mornings. Not that I don't think anyone couldn't do as good, or better, a job but I'm just OCD like that and 2) my mare can on occassions be difficult to turn out; she thinks she should be able to gallop off as soon as your hand touches her halter. I've put a lot of work into her and currently this isn't an issue but I'd worry about her or a handler being injured and/or bad habits creeping in.

I'm probably getting into a tizz about nothing, I really don't want to move yards as this place is pretty spot on and YO/other liveries are really nice but I do need to get to work on time.

What would you do? Am I being unreasonable and in need of a shake or is there some way I can make be being on yard earlier (prob around 7) sound reasonable to YO?

Sorry for being a paranoid, OCD stresshead
crazy.gif
I can handle the truth (well sort of, don't be too harsh!)
tongue.gif

ETA opening time is 7.30, when I'm first there I also have to unlock everything which takes me 5-10 mins with all the lights, gates and doors. I would need to be there 7am latest to get close to being in work on time.

Guinness

Visit site
I dunno, 7am seems pretty reasonable to me. I get to the yard at 6:30 when I have to be in work on time (!). I wouldn't want someone else turning my horse out either, firstly because I want to check hes ok and secondly I HAVE to muck out in the morning...talk to your YO see what they say there is no harm in asking?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well, I get on to the yard at around 6.30 - 6.45 in order to do my horse and be in work for 8.00. YO is happy for us being at the yard from around 6.00am really.

I think a 7.00 'opening' time is unreasonable. And to be honest, any restriction on visiting hours is unreasonable. Obviously common sense has to prevail, as does an understanding from liveries not to turn up at ungodly hours etc. without first informing YO.

But in your shoes I'd have to move.....

loz9

Visit site
def sounds like she want to make you pay more money! most yards iv been at have opened at 6, except for uni which was 730, but then we were students that rarely surfaced til 8-830 & only then because we had horses! 7 is not unreasonable really! our horses are at home & we wouldnt have any issues with people turning up at 630-7.

measles

Visit site
Afraid I agree - sounds entirely like a money making scheme. All of my liveries are up early on occasion & by the time your yard opens some will already have ridden. What wld happen if you were going to a show??

That said, you are in a difficult position as you knew the rules when you moved there.

DunRoamin

Visit site
I dont agree there dornrose, if the yard owner lives at the yard she may not want people poking about on the yard before she gets out, or her staff arrive, i certainly wouldnt ifit where me. 7am is acceptable but any earlier than that in my view is a micky take!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
7am is acceptable but any earlier than that in my view is a micky take!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us with early work starts have very little choice but to do our horses nice and early. I hardly think it's a mickey take. What a peculiar thing to say......

JoJo_

Visit site
Thats a late opening time! My yard opens at 6am and that is when the YO gives morning feed to all the horses if we leave their buckets outside the stable and the main gate and tackroom is unlocked then. Some liveries like to be early on a weekend to ride about 7am too. I would try to talk to your YO and I guess think seriously about moving if she really wont let you get there earlier.

I wonder if it is so she can make more money out of the turnout service or if she cant be bothered to get out of bed earlier!

TPO

Visit site
I don't think it's a money making scheme at all, sorry if it came across like that. She offers the turn out/bring in and any other assistance to help out; she's available at short notice and her prices are very reasonable.

I did know the times before I moved there, it is flexible for shows etc just not on a regular basis. I just got offered a new contract this week and unfortunately it's 45mins away and starts earlier than the norm but too much £ to turn down this time of year!

The YO doesn't always live on-site but the neighbouring places complain at being "disturbed" so YO isn't doing it out of spite, just trying to keep the peace. I was just wondering if any of your lovely lot had any suggestions as to how I could make me arriving on the yard 1/2hr early sound appealing?!

devilwoman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As she offers a turnout service I suspect her limiting the opening hours is so she earns extra money!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was going to say too - i'd personally have to move yards as I am OCD about doing my own horses morning and night - I would not be on a yard that wouldn't let me on at 6 a.m. which I do seven days per week.

Just an easy quick buck in my opinion.

monkeybum13

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7am is acceptable but any earlier than that in my view is a micky take!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us with early work starts have very little choice but to do our horses nice and early. I hardly think it's a mickey take. What a peculiar thing to say......

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree with you there sallysmith. I would not regard before 7am as a mickey take infact most people I know are at their yards before 7.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....... infact most people I know are at their yards before 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - even on a weekend, I wouldn't dream of getting there any later than that.

RobinHood

Visit site
What happens if you want to go cubbing? or competing a long way away? It seems the YO is doing it to make more money.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
For me it would depend on how empty the stables were - if you know what i mean - if she has several empty boxes she is probably in a more negotiable frame of mind. Is there any reason for the 7 am start up i.e does she feed up first, is she concerned about the neighbours reporting her to somewhere or someone? has she had people take the mickey in the past ie. feed theirown and no one elses and had lots of grumpy horses and owners to deal with?

7am opening would be an issue for me - i have 3 to deal with and have to be away by 7.27am at the latest. I often arrive at the yard at 5.15am but make sure i am quiet and turn lights on and off where necessary

monkeybum13

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Yep - even on a weekend, I wouldn't dream of getting there any later than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes - tomorrow I'm likely to be at yard before 7 - have a 4yo to ride and then get my boy ready for a days dressaging.
In the summer I like to get up the early as there's something about early morning hacks I love.

Rudey

Visit site
If I were you I would be up front and honest about the situation with the YO! Explain how you feel and she may surprise you! Half an hour isn't a massive deal. If you are having to open up the yard in the morning, then surely abit of leverage time wise would be agreeable!
cool.gif

Our yard contract states gates are locked at 8pm in summer, 6pm in winter. If you are up there after then, you have to park behind the gate. The farmer isn't keen on people staying from 9pm and onwards, but is sympathetic/understanding if you have good reason. Always courteous to let him know at least!
wink.gif

I work 9 - 5, I have 2 horses, I have to muck out in the morning and ride Sammi so at night time I can get off quicker. I'm usually at the yard just before 6am, riding before 7am! I would be stuffed otherwise! xx
grin.gif

Luci07

Visit site
I think are you being reasonable and your YO sounds like she is trying to be accomodating ( ie keep her neighbours happy). I would agree that maybe just having a quiet word could be the best option and be clear that you will be aware of her neighbours etc. If you got in at 7, unlocked, checkd and prepped your mare - could you say, muck out and then turn yours out at 7.30?

Teabelly

Visit site
I had this time constraint at my previous yard, no one at all on the yard before 7am , I did try and sneak on about 6.50am one morning as I had to feed the other horses , wait for mine to finish , turnout, muck out , then rush to work.

On arriving at the yard that same night on the tack room notice board was a message for all to see that "NO ONE under any circumstance was to be on the yard before 7.00am.

Also we had to get our horses in , in good time, whatever that was and the fact that I worked full time and went straight to yard from work to get them in asap, it was never right.

Needless to say I didn't stop and nor do many other liveries, I haven't the luxury of being part time and being full time didn't fit in with the YO.

Hopefully your HO will be alittle more flexible.

Hippona

Visit site
Our yard opens 'officially' at 6.30 am but YO opens the gates at about 6am when she gets up to do hers and I'm usually there about 6.20....she doesnt mind because she knows I have to get stuff done before work....and believe me if she did mind the gates wouldnt get opened
wink.gif

I personally dont think 7am is unreasonable.....if I were in a mean mood I'd say the yard opens at this time so that working owners have to rely on YO to turn horses out and pay her for doing it?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
QR Good God, I never thought about having yard times...3-4 days a week I'm at the yard by 5 and gone by 6.30 - by the time your yard is open, I've done 2 horses, showered, had breakfast & am on the train!

I agree with the others - have a quiet word and see if you can persuade your YO to make the morning time 30mins earlier. Explain that you really don't want to move yards, but it's very difficult for you with your new contract.

ElaineLightning

Visit site
I think 7.30am is a bit late too, certainly 7am seems very reasonable! What if you wanted to ride before work theres no way you would have enough time getting there at 7.30am!