Food advice (non working JRT)

Mongoose11

Visit site
Love of my life JRT (Barry) is seven years old, a good weight but not a working dog. He is currently fed James Wellbeloved for small dogs and he eats it. The thing that bothers me, and it is just me being soft, is that he is never that keen to eat. When I put his food down he will just leave it and then maybe have a biscuit or two and go back to eat it later. It's not that he doesn't like it because when he wants to eat he will eat. I have tried lifting the food and only putting it down twice a day but he just does not like to eat biscuits all in one go.

I would like to see him enjoy his food and to this end I am considering giving him wet food, which he loves, and wolfs down. Am I just being stupid? If I was to change to wet food, in small portions, what would you recommend? Basically, I know he won't be around forever and if he would enjoy his wet food I would like him to!

Thanks!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It's not stunning food, Billie. I feed Wainwright's trays to my older boy who just refuses raw occasionally. Maybe give it a go? You can get single trays and there are various flavours. For different texture, you could add some Fishmonger's kibble, same brand. (Pets at Home)

Mongoose11

Visit site
:) do you mean wet food in general isn't stunning? Out pet shop was giving a free sample of Ceaser today so he had a tray for lunch. It smelt stunning I tell you! :) lamb and mint no less! Thanks CT, I will check out Wainwrights.

kirstys 1

Visit site
My JRT is not a big eater. Tried lots of things with him and the thing he likes best is tripe and Orijen.
Can't comment on Ceaser as I don't know much about it, but I think Wainwrights is good!

Mongoose11

Visit site
Ah, yes. I had a really helpful message from DG some time ago explaining the JW wasn't great. I've just been too lazy to go forward looking into an alternative.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My whippet got anorexia, and yes its a real condition :D He barely ate enough to exist. I finally got him eating again using tuna and then went onto Fish4Dogs, which he ate much in the way you describe. I finally changed him to raw at about 8months old and now he eats like a pig! I still smile when he races me to the fridge and does what can only be called a happy dance while he waits for breakfast. Its not for everyone, but worth thinking about as I dont know a raw fed dog that doesnt really REALLY enjoy their food :D

sonjafoers

Visit site
and does what can only be called a happy dance while he waits for breakfast

Ha ha love it! My 2 rotties & EBT are fed raw ( Natural Instinct ) & they all smile when it's food time - the bullie actually spins full 360s off the floor she gets so excited. They definitely enjoy their food too

Leo Walker

Visit site
My other dog is rescue lurcher, I picked her up from the pound as she was in a bad way. She was utterly disgusted by raw food for the first 3 weeks or so, now she loves it! She prefers big meaty lumps over mince and raw meaty bones have her nearly passing out with joy! So theres no such thing as too old! It might just take a few weeks to get them on board. Flossie still wont touch liver or offal type stuff, but she absolutely loves heart. I get huge ox hearts from the butcher and hack them into whippet sized pieces and shes there doing the happy dance while I'm hacking away like a serial killer :D And raw meaty bones are very quickly taken to her crate to enjoy in peace as they are still that special to her!

jodie3

Visit site
My four are all raw fed so when my Mother's 12 year old Scottie comes to stay she has raw too and loves it!

Yesterday she had a lovely afternoon munching on a lamb bone, she isn't a particularly jolly little dog but yesterday she was positively beaming!

So I don't think age is any barrier to feeding raw.

loopiesteff

Visit site
I am willing to consider raw. Is it a wise transition for a seven year old? What would it look like for a 6kg JRT?

You tend to feed RAW at 2-3% of their bodyweight. Obviously dependant on how much exercise/work they do!

My JRTxFT weighs 11.8kg, and he gets fed 3% if not a bit more, but he does a lot of exercise and is a competition dog! You can start at 2% and adjust it if you think he's lost a bit of weight or whatever. It's really good once you get over the squeemishness of it, however the stench of tripe will never get better :eek:

galaxy

Visit site
My GSP had never been very excited about food until I put him on fishmongers, he now gets so excited at dinner time!

If you want to stick with kibble buy a small bag and see what he thinks.