Food bin - recommendations!

MikB

Visit site
Hi!

I am moving to a new yard and have to provide my own food bin - do you have any recommendations? I have found lots of plastic dustbins but wonder if they are weather proof?

Many thanks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've always used plastic dustbins in the past with no issues. the lids are usually pretty snug, you can get ones that clip on.
i have stacking recycling hoppers now to save space but they do need to be undercover as they aren't so watertight.

MikB

Visit site
Great thanks - what size capacity do you go for? I’m looking at 50 litres and 100 litres but they are online so it’s hard to know how big they are!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
depends on what you want to store, if you're feeding chaff then you'll need either a huge bin or a couple of smaller ones, sacks of mix/cubes fit in my 50l bins easily.

asmp

Visit site
Have had plastic dustbins in the past but now have old chest freezers and much prefer them. The bags fit in nicely and they are rat proof (had rats chew holes in the dustbins before)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have a mix of plastic and metal dustbins. Im sure it totally depends on the type/brand of bin but I find my metal lids dont form as good a seal as the plastic ones as once or twice I have found a mouse has crawled in! Never had anything chew through the plastic ones (yet).