Food for picky Jack Russell?

bellatrix

Visit site
Hoping some of you dog food experts could help me :eek:

I have a little 6 year old Jack Russell x Collie, she is about 10-11kg and gets at least one decent walk a day and then a good old play in the field, where she will happily chase her favourite ball till she is exhausted :rolleyes:

ANYWAY, onto the problem. She is extremely picky and we are having problems finding a good healthy (seems to prefer the crap, bad for her type) food that she will actually eat. She seems to get bored of a brand of food after a couple of weeks or so. We tried the whole 'leave it till shes hungry and then she'll eat it' approach but she will literally starve herself - bloody princess!!

Have tried Vets Kitchen, Autarky, my horse/dogs feed merchants own brand of ' senior working rice' and a few more brands we have bought from the local food place.

We cant help but notice that when she is eating it looks like she would prefer something softer? :confused: Like it is just a bit much for her to get and chomp on....

Token picture of my baby girl

Any suggestions? :D

Last edited:

bellatrix

Visit site
When she last went to the vets for her jabs, about 6 weeks ago, they gave her the routine sort of check up, looked in her mouth etc and they did not pick up on any problems.

No shes not starving, she tends to eat her food for a couple of weeks or so then just starts refusing to eat it, so we have to go buy another brand to try. So just trying to find one that she will actually eat long term (and maybe get through an entire bag of it for a change) and enjoy it.

Twizzel

Visit site
Our spaniel was picky, I too tried the whole leaving out a feed, only leaving bowl down for 10 minutes etc etc. She was on Burns lamb and rice, I changed her to fish4dogs salmon and she loves it. I wonder if it was the rice she didn't like because she was picky with her Burns puppy food too. fish4dogs do a small kibble too so maybe try a small bag of that?

zippo

Visit site
I have one just like that,having given up trying to provide a healthy diet,I now just buy what ever's on special[in small quantities]and ring the changes.
Our vet said to add a multi vitamin tablet daily.
Some times but only sometimes mixing a bit of suitable human food works and the odd sardine will be accepted.
One thing I find that helps,I don't feed her until we are ready to eat,perhaps the sounds and smell of dinner cooking,whets her appetite.