Foot abcess query

JANANI

Visit site
My poor boy got an abcess and I got the farrier out. He opened it up and said it should be OK and should drain on its own. However after putting him out in the field today I noticed he was slightly lame today. After he came in I hot tubbed his foot and then bandaged it. He was very sensitive at the hole.

I was just wondering what is the norm to use for poulticing. I remember Animalintix from years ago. Is this still the best thing to use? I think it was 16 years ago when I poulticed a foot so I was wondering what is the best treatment.

Thanks

JANA

be positive

Visit site
I would continue to tub, then hot animalintex until it has stopped draining, then a couple of days dry poultice to keep it clean and dry the area, you should then be ok but if you need to it can be plugged with some cotton wool and stockholm tar to keep it from getting packed with mud.

KarynK

Visit site
Jana
It could be that the infection or part of it is working upwards through the hoof, I would poultice the coronet band as well as that is where any infection would naturally come out, the poultice softens the area and allows the infection to come out there if it needs to. Keretex do a product for plugging holes that has antibiotic properties, hoof putty I think and that is very effective for stopping reinfection from holes.

barehoofhannah

Hi Jana, I've got a detailed abscess care handout which I give my barefoot clients. I'm only in my training stages of my qualification but if you want a copy you can email me; hannah@barefootchampions.co.uk

It may be there is still some infection to draw out, so you want want to still soak. Careful not to bandage tight around the coronet band, as some bandages will shrink when out in wet field and we want increased blood flow not any restriction.

As you've got an open wound on bottom of foot, maybe poultice to keep covered, or once you not pouticing, I'd then stuff the hole with some thing naturally medicated, to keep up the health of the area and the natural growth and repair to the area.

Not nice seeing them hopping around, but good that they are out moving,

Hope it clears up soon,
Hannah

mynutmeg

Visit site
Animalintex works great and is simply to use.
Equipement needed
Animalintex
vet wrap
duct tape
hot water
syringe
cooled, boiled water with a little hibiscrub in it

Cut a small piece of animalintex, enough to cover about half the sole, soak in hot water, drain and allow to cool a bit till it doesn't burn (there are instrucitons on the pack)
Hold the hoof up and use the syringe with the cooled boiled water to flush the hole out, place the soaked animalintex over the hole and wrap vet wrap around the hoof to hold in place (we usually end up using 1 & 1/2 rolls for one foot on a tb), then layer 3 layers of duct tape over the sole, folding up the side of the hoof and a little duct tape over the ends around the hoof wall to secure the ones on the sole.

I don't stick the duct tape to the horse, only to the vet wrap but I always have the vet wrap go up over the coronet band as this ensures the whole thing stays put.

Change it ever 12-24 hours. You should see black gunky pus on the poultice and once this is pretty much stopped change to dry animalintex for another couple of dressing changes then provided you get 2 clean poultices coming off you can stop and have your farrier attend to the hole/re-shoe etc as you need.

JANANI

Visit site
Cheers everyone. The treatment hasn't changed from 16 (actually 18) years ago.

I got some Animalintex today amd got his foot bandaged. KarynK I also put some poultce on the cornorary band. I was so proud of him he stood good as gold as he was being hot tubbed and then bandaged. He is so funny at the moment as he points is toe out as if to say 'mummy I have a really sore foot'.

Hanna I have sent you a pm

I forgot the duct tape so that will be on my shopping list tomorrow.

Thanks

JANA