Foot abscess - ***Gory pic warning*** (also in V&HC)

frannieuk

Visit site
Pic at the bottom!

Thought some of you might be interested to see this foot abscess on my poor mare, Floppy (some of you may remember her!).

She came in hopping lame about a month ago, and other than the lameness, the only symptom was swelling in the suspensory region. Although I suspected an abscess, I wasn't sure given the tendons so it was a vet call.
Vet couldn't find anything with the testers so removed the shoe and I poulticed for a couple of days.

When he came back, the horse literally couldn't put her foot down but there was still no reaction to the testers other than a little air escaping by the tip of the frog. When he cut in it was vile! Black pus and blood everywhere, and we were happy he'd found it and thought that it would follow the normal course.

Continued poulticing and farrier came out 5 days later and cut out a little more (top left pic). I then packed it with iodoform ether from the vet. The following week (top right and bottom left pic) it was still smelling and so it was time to take more drastic action.

The vet and the farrier turned up together, worked out a plan of action and started cutting out the dead and diseased sole to get back to healthy foot. As you can see from the bottom right picture this was indeed drastic!! Turned out that the abscess had underrun most of the sole, which was loose and also a large part of the frog.

It's currently packed with a mix of sugar and iodene and held together under a hospital plate, which will remain on for quite some time I guess, and which I will need to repack every couple of days.

Amazingly, the mare is sound and a damn sight happier than she was before, and it's just a long slow (c6-9months!) recovery while the foot grows back.

Please do share your stories if you've had anything similar!

Flicker

Visit site
Wow!! Poor girly.
Thanks for the photos - weirdly fascinating, but actually very informative. My OH is a doctor and I've shown him too, he was also fascinated. He asked whose idea the iodine and sugar solution was - he says it sounds a really good wound treatment.

frannieuk

Visit site
Wow!! Poor girly.
Thanks for the photos - weirdly fascinating, but actually very informative. My OH is a doctor and I've shown him too, he was also fascinated. He asked whose idea the iodine and sugar solution was - he says it sounds a really good wound treatment.

It was my vet's - he's German so I don't know if that's where it comes from! Once that iodine and sugar has had a couple of days to start working, I've got to move to copper sulphate crystals. It's been quite an education for me!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have had 2 horses with abscesses this winter, farrier says it's the wet weather- he has been called out to at least one every week recently.
The Appy was lame for several days before it became obvious what was wrong, the abscess under-ran her sole, too. As soon as it was opened up she was fully weight-bearing again. The Draft made was obviously uncomfortable, we poulticed her foot, over the weekend until the farrier could come out and it seemed to be seeping gunk but when the farrier cut unto it black gunk poured out!
Fingers crossed your made makes a speedy recovery, OP!

Flicker

Visit site
It was my vet's - he's German so I don't know if that's where it comes from! Once that iodine and sugar has had a couple of days to start working, I've got to move to copper sulphate crystals. It's been quite an education for me!

Indeed!! Sugar is a wonderful antiseptic (hence why it's used as a preservative) and I've used honey on a wound high up on my horse's front leg, that I couldn't bandage. It healed beautifully.
Copper sulphate is a new one to me too although OH says it is a more traditional human wound treatment and he says that yonks ago, before pharmaceuticals as we know them, razor clam shells were ground up as antibiotic powder for infections because they have a high copper content. Who knew...

Hope the foot continues to heal well!!

atropa

Visit site
Had a similar experience with my old boy last year op with an abscess pretty much destroying his front off hoof. He's only just starting to put fully healthy hoof on the ground now, and it all started June last year. Absolutely horrid, so glad to hear your mare is more comfortable now

frannieuk

Visit site
Thanks for all your good wishes, certainly been a learning experience for me! I'm just glad we're coming into better weather as the thought of trying to keep the plate etc clean through the winter would be awful!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Wow, that is impressive! My old boy stood on a nail some years back, abscess under ran his sole snd popped out behind pastern. Vets finger disappeared inside the hole. He was in horsespital for 10 days and had a plate too over the winter, not fun! Hope for a speedy recovery.

frannieuk

Visit site
Thatv sounds really nasty PF! I'm relieved mine hasn't ended up in horspital with this one (yet!). How long did your boy's take to heal?

frannieuk

Visit site
Soooo, there have been 2 dressing changes since my first post. Thankfully she is so much more comfortable since they cut out the sole and put the plate on despite how horrid it looks!

The first change was after the sugar and iodine mix applied by the vet, and whilst it looked less raw than the initial pics, it bloody stank! Still looked pretty slimy too.

I repacked it with copper sulphate granules, cotton wool and gauze, and rebolted the hospital plate on...
Floppy plays at Optimus Prime :p

And then tonight I changed it again. I was somewhat alarmed that it was all black when I took the dressings off but the vet assures me that's fine. It's definitely dried out and there's no smell either, so hopefully things are going in the right direction.

Next change in 3-4 days so fingers crossed please...!

Fiona

Visit site
Wow that's some abscess :(

My vet has used a mix of copper sulphate and Stockholm tar on abscesses too..... He's old fashioned but great .

Fiona

frannieuk

Visit site
What an awful abscess, poor horse. Sugar and Iodine - we call it sugardine.

When my vet called it Sugardine I was expecting some fancy drug....you can imagine my thought process when he rather randomly asked me for a bag of sugar. Demerara? Caster? Icing? Was this a roundabout way of asking for a(nother) cup of tea??! Thankfully my brain/mouth filter worked on this occasion.... :p