Foot abscess not bursting

Billy Pig

Visit site
So, following on from my previous post where I was struggling for a diagnosis of my horse's lameness, the vet came back out as I'd requested x-rays, and after removing the shoe and palpating, found a sore spot to the side of my pony's foot (previously missed by both the farrier and vet as hidden by the shoe).

Vet said she was certain it's an abscess due to the reaction to hoof testers, digital pulse, heat in the foot and sudden lameness even after box rest and 2 x bute a day. With that said, she decided not to do x-rays and dug a small hole in the foot and told me to hot poultice and tub in salt water twice a day, which I have been doing. When she dug the hole, she drew a little blood, so decided to stop digging and said that a poultice should draw the pus out the foot. However after a few days of doing this no pus has made an appearance!

Pony is now walking much better, weight bearing and going out on a small paddock for around 2 hours a night whilst I get her stable sorted. She is still looking 'footie' when walking but has made a drastic improvement from when she was barely weight bearing a few days ago.

My question is, has anyone got experience of abscesses taking this long to erupt? Also, is it possible that if it is an abscess, for them to heal without erupting given my horse is already walking better on it? The coronet band has also softened in the process of tubbing and poulticing and has a couple of white-ish raised lumps - could this be the abscess trying to come out? Experiences please!

Edited to add - once the vet said it was an abscess she was taken off the bute completely!

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Abscesses can be a pain in the bum. For what it’s worth I’ve never box rested but bound the foot up (once shoe is removed) and turned out. Also Bute can (apparently) suppress the abscess, so never used that either.

So, in shoes, if you’re satisfied it is an abscess, wrap up the foot and turn out. You may have more luck with it ‘bursting’.

Billy Pig

Visit site
Abscesses can be a pain in the bum. For what it’s worth I’ve never box rested but bound the foot up (once shoe is removed) and turned out. Also Bute can (apparently) suppress the abscess, so never used that either.

So, in shoes, if you’re satisfied it is an abscess, wrap up the foot and turn out. You may have more luck with it ‘bursting’.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, she was on 2 x bute a day for about a week, which I think may have supressed it (if that is indeed a thing) - once the vet suspected an abscess she said to discontinue the bute. I am tempted to turnout as she was out 24/7 prior to this bout of box rest, however I am also being cautious about her weight as she has now had 3 weeks off work and is a native type, so don't want to induce lammi since I am currently unable to exercise her! I am slowly building up the amount of time she spends on the grass with the hope of putting her out overnight as of next week as I've heard movement will speed things along!

Billy Pig

Visit site
It may be seeping out the coronet band so not noticeable. Hopefully that’ll be the end of it.
I really hope that is the case since I can't see anything. Just annoying that I haven't had that satisfying moment of seeing a load of gunk on the animalintex!

paddy555

Visit site
longest one took around 3 months.
I don't give bute, just wrap it up (I use a large hoof boot with a poultice) and turn the horse out. He walks all the time. I've rarely seen gunk on animalintex.
If I couldn't turn out I would walk in hand.
It may well be seeping out somewhere. Possibly in a couple of months time there will be a tell tale crack on the hoof wall.
Possibly put a temporary track around your paddock that will restrict grass but maintain the walking.

Billy Pig

Visit site
longest one took around 3 months.
I don't give bute, just wrap it up (I use a large hoof boot with a poultice) and turn the horse out. He walks all the time. I've rarely seen gunk on animalintex.
If I couldn't turn out I would walk in hand.
It may well be seeping out somewhere. Possibly in a couple of months time there will be a tell tale crack on the hoof wall.
Possibly put a temporary track around your paddock that will restrict grass but maintain the walking.
Thanks for the idea of a track - we have individual paddock with which we can do as we please, so I will certainly give this a go so she can turn out!

3 months is a long time, I hope it's resolved quicker than that 😣 in my experience over the years, abscessed have normally burst within a couple of days of poulticing, hence my worry. But glad to know that is not always the case...

Billy Pig

Visit site
They can take ages I've had them grumbling on for weeks before just keep hot tubbing it then hopefully it will appear.

Turning out helps it come out I have never box rested I just wrap it up.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I have bought one of those boots that they stand in for tubbing, which should be delivered today, as standing her in a bucket has been a bit hit and miss thus far! I think I'm going to take @paddy555 's advice and make a track so she can have turnout and move!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks, that's reassuring. I have bought one of those boots that they stand in for tubbing, which should be delivered today, as standing her in a bucket has been a bit hit and miss thus far! I think I'm going to take @paddy555 's advice and make a track so she can have turnout and move!
That sounds a good idea neither of mine will put a foot in a bucket 🙈

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Shires poultice boots? They're brilliant, and far easier than trying to get your horse to keep her foot in a bucket. I tub 3 x a day for suspected abscesses and also put animalintex in a hoof boot, and turn the horse out.

This was actually a cleantrax soak, but the principle is the same.

Good luck.

IMG_3709.jpeg

Billy Pig

Visit site
Shires poultice boots? They're brilliant, and far easier than trying to get your horse to keep her foot in a bucket. I tub 3 x a day for suspected abscesses and also put animalintex in a hoof boot, and turn the horse out.

This was actually a cleantrax soak, but the principle is the same.

Good luck.

View attachment 113760
It's actually a cheapie version from Amazon - it's like a knee high canvas boot that is secured with Velcro straps but allows you to soak without the faff!

I've got some Cavallo barefoot boots which I think I will use for turnout - good idea putting the animalintex in the boot for turnout, will give this a go.

Your pony is beautiful btw ❤

AnShanDan

Visit site
As said abscesses can take weeks (months?) to fully resolve in some cases. I've had different horses with rumbling abscesses that seem to move around the hoof, getting away for a bit and then re-erupting somewhere. I've had the same one come out at the coronet twice, weeks in between. Another horse, on off lame for weeks (was retired and never very lame) both vets and farriers were adamant it wasn't an abscess, vet was for starting lameness diagnostics on fetlock etc. Burst out the heel one night.
100% best thing is to keep them moving and soften up the coronet/heel.

silv

Visit site

This

Billy Pig

Visit site
As said abscesses can take weeks (months?) to fully resolve in some cases. I've had different horses with rumbling abscesses that seem to move around the hoof, getting away for a bit and then re-erupting somewhere. I've had the same one come out at the coronet twice, weeks in between. Another horse, on off lame for weeks (was retired and never very lame) both vets and farriers were adamant it wasn't an abscess, vet was for starting lameness diagnostics on fetlock etc. Burst out the heel one night.
Thanks for this, this is reassuring! I have started turnout with her with a cavallo boot on over her animalintex and vet wrap so fingers crossed I have something happen soon. She appears to be moving much better on it now, so I guess it's just a waiting game!

Billy Pig

Visit site
Yes.. me , years ago with my big boy Will, it started to come at the bottom, stopped and burst at the coronet band, that was a fkr to heal. No lameness. But god it took weeks 😭 no box rest either
That's good to know, thank you. She's certainly looking much better than she was. I'm praying I can draw it out the bottom of her foot, but no such luck yet!

Hollylee1989

Visit site

Whisper's abcess kept on coming and coming, sadly it got into her joint and was pts :(