Foot balance and lame

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Arabi went lame about 4 weeks ago infront only very slight like only noticed on a circle really so gave him some time off to see if it improved it didn't so I got the vet out a few weeks ago to x ray.

He is about half tenth lame on both fronts and he has balance issues on both and his heals have become a bit under run although his toes are not really long.

Going back he was barefoot for about 2 years but he kept getting foot sore as he has had thin soles previously but the recent x rays show improvement, I have used boots in the past but find he trips in them and they tend to come off and I find them a real faff.

So I decided to shoe him just in aluminium plates around March this year he seemed much better and happy up until a few weeks back, I had spoken to my farrier as I noticed the heals were getting under run and I know he was shoeing him a bit shorter in the heal as he was pulling his shoes, he did also get a sole bruise a few months back so we put pads on just for one shoe cycle which seemed to make him more comfortable.

He was shod after the x rays feet looked good vet was happy but his still lame so they want to scan just above the hoof to see if they can find anything.

I don't know if I should just take the shoes off and try a barefoot rehab again because all of this is pointing toward some sort of soft tissue in or around the foot, and chances are they will want some sort of remedial shoes.

Thing is it took me months to get him comfy in boots last time and his got odd feet and finding the right boots is not easy and I hated riding him in clumpy boots, mainly because I really don't like horses that trip or feel like they are going to, I think there are some new types of boot since I tried before, I quite like the look of the flex boot but not sure if they will suit as he has one foot that is smaller and a bit more upright.

Flame_

Visit site
I take the shoes off October - February every year. Last winter I took them off late and put them back on early. This summer horse had hoof balance issues and sheared heels. I doubt that's the only reason, but he'll be getting the full 4 month holiday this winter with some walking in hand on the road.

I can't be doing with hoof boots either, they're hopeless.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Boots have improved no end over the past few years. Used to drive me mad, coming off at every canter. Pony's feet at the time had disintegrated due to slow growth and pulling shoes so no other choice. This was over 20 years ago.
I use boots on current pony and haven't had one come off in two years though most of my riding is roads and tracks. Performance type boots aren't clumpy. He goes barefoot riding in the fields/school. I'd only shoe if I needed studs for jumping, which for me is unlikely.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It seems odd that your vet wants to scan higher before nerve blocking to find out where the source of the lameness is.

If he was unbalanced in shoes then it' seems likely he has some soft tissue damage inside the feet from that and would block to the foot.

If so, yes, the easiest way to be most sure of fixing it is probably to take the shoes off.

I love Renegades if I need to use boots.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It seems odd that your vet wants to scam higher before nerve blocking to find out where the source of the lameness is.

If he was unbalanced in shoes then it' seems likely he has some soft tissue damage inside the feet from that and would block to the foot.

If so, yes, the easiest way to be most sure of fixing it is probably to take the shoes off.

I love Renegades if I need to use boots.

They did nerve block they think foot or just above

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There are a lot more boot options now than there were but obv they still don't suit every horse.
Re. shoeing, there's also a lot more options for that too inc variety of materials, has his breakover in front always been good, (if delayed might have contributed to the shoe pulling, which short shoeing has artificially helped)

fwiw F was short shod by my farrier because I said we were hunting (it was very rare for him to pull a shoe, I can only remember one occasion!) he ended up 2/3 10ths lame on one side but had flat pedal bones in both on xray.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There are a lot more boot options now than there were but obv they still don't suit every horse.
Re. shoeing, there's also a lot more options for that too inc variety of materials, has his breakover in front always been good, (if delayed might have contributed to the shoe pulling, which short shoeing has artificially helped)

fwiw F was short shod by my farrier because I said we were hunting (it was very rare for him to pull a shoe, I can only remember one occasion!) he ended up 2/3 10ths lame on one side but had flat pedal bones in both on xray.

His always been shod with very short toes because I know if his not the foot balance just goes to pot, that's why I think the heels have caused this lameness now although his toes don't look long but the heels need sorting.