Foot sore pony - any advice?

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Last Monday, I asked my farrier to remove the shoes off one of my ponies as he is not in work at the moment, and probably wont be for some time. He warned me that the pony might be a tiny bit foot sore for a couple of days - well its been nearly a week, and he still looks VERY foot sore.

Can any one tell me how long it might take him to feel more comfortable - thank you.
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can take any length of time to become'sound'

Loux

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i second this, give it time, also as its been so dry the ground has been quite hard which does not help comfort, your pony will adjust

Jericho

Visit site
My little pony who hardly ever goes on roads or shingle or stony tracks was really lame over stony ground when we took her to a nearby eq centre for a lesson so I guess its the same.

The Farrier - would a hoof hardener work for her as well ?? She has never been shod in her life and her feet are in excellent condition but she really did NOT want to walk on stones! Do their feet get used to rougher ground - I guess a bit like ours?

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
My little pony who hardly ever goes on roads or shingle or stony tracks was really lame over stony ground when we took her to a nearby eq centre for a lesson so I guess its the same.

The Farrier - would a hoof hardener work for her as well ?? She has never been shod in her life and her feet are in excellent condition but she really did NOT want to walk on stones! Do their feet get used to rougher ground - I guess a bit like ours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes much like ours do. A hardener helps the sole 'toughen up' faster especially if the pain is caused by the soles being soft

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Just had fronts put back on our loan pony after leaving him for 4 months to adapt to going barefoot. He is a real wuss and just wasn't comfortable on anything slightly stoney out hacking.