Foot sore/soft soles

cottonn

Visit site
Hi all

My pony has become very foot sore with soft soles. What are people's experience with this, what would you all recommend. I've heard Keratex is good but i've never had this problem before so never used it?

Thanks in advance :)

hayinamanger

Visit site
If you are sure that the pony does not have laminitis, and I would be making this assumption as a strong possibility, then Keratex is great for hardening the soles. It does contain formaldehyde and many hoof people on here do not reccomend it, but I have used it with success on soft soles. 10% iodine is also very good.

Clava

Visit site
Soft soles are often linked to diet and the new grass makes my TB's hooves go from concave to flat, so diet and mineral balance might be worth looking at. Heath and strength comes from inside and movement not topical applications.

cottonn

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My farrier has been contacted so it will be investigated. We are pretty sure it is soft soles. He has recently been turned out 24/7 into the summer fields. This particular field has both a river and pond in and the land is extremely wet and marshy. We think from standing in the damp all day and night has made his soles extremely soft and therefore sore. Will not be ruling out laminitis though.

I will give Keratex a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Healthy feet should be able to stand in water all day without being sore even if the horn is a bit softer. I would suspect the "recently been turned out 24/7 into the summer fields" to be the reason his feet are sore and restrict his grass and treat as if it is laminitis even if it hasn't currently been diagnosed.

Clava

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My farrier has been contacted so it will be investigated. We are pretty sure it is soft soles. He has recently been turned out 24/7 into the summer fields. This particular field has both a river and pond in and the land is extremely wet and marshy. We think from standing in the damp all day and night has made his soles extremely soft and therefore sore. Will not be ruling out laminitis though.

I will give Keratex a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

My farrier condemned my haffy to having soft soles and nothing could be done...he simply did not know that things can change with the correct management and diet (summer grass being the main problem, but other metabolic issues can be too) Keratex will not fix the underlying problem.