Footsore

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi all,
My tb has been unshod for 6 years and has never had a problem with her feet (even when I had to walk her 6 miles on the roads to get to current yard because she wouldn't load).

However, since her last trim, she has not been quite right. In a nutshell, the day after her trim, I took her for a walk round the yard and she seemed very sore on the dirt track/concrete. She was then slightly lame for about a week, but not enough to stop her performing moves round the field to rival the Spanish Riding School :rolleyes:

I took her for a walk in hand again yesterday and again she seemed footsore on the harder ground :(, but this time, was fine once back in the field.

I am going to take her out again later and if she is still the same, then I'll get the vet in the next day or two, but in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please?

Thank you. Choc hobnobs on offer for reading :)

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
Hi there are a few threads around about foot sore horses. If nothing else has changed, general consensus is its tge grass coming through.
Pm me if u want more detailed info or adivice :)

Oberon

Visit site
Bit worrying that this happened after being trimmed.

How much tissue was pared off the bottom of the hoof?

As WM says, there are a plethora of threads at the moment where horses have suddenly become footy.

The sugar levels in the grass must be high along with livery yards allowing unlimited turnout for the summer, and it's causing some inflammation for even previously fine horses.

It could be a mixture of the two for your horse.

Hoof boots are really handy to have in the tack room to pop on when things like this happen - as work, work , work will often be a huge help, but you can't work her if she is uncomfortable.

Adding some magnesium and salt to the diet are often helpful - if not a mineral balancer.

Shoes will probably make her instantly more comfortable - but you have to be mindful that you won't get the early warning like you are now.

This is all dependant on the vet not finding any other reason for her soreness.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi there are a few threads around about foot sore horses. If nothing else has changed, general consensus is its tge grass coming through.
Pm me if u want more detailed info or adivice :)

Thanks for your reply :) I'll have a search for the other threads too.

Nothing else has changed in her routine. It could be the grass, as although there is not much in her field, it looks like it's getting greener elsewhere.

Horses like to worry us don't they? :rolleyes:

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Bit worrying that this happened after being trimmed.

How much tissue was pared off the bottom of the hoof?

As WM says, there are a plethora of threads at the moment where horses have suddenly become footy.

The sugar levels in the grass must be high along with livery yards allowing unlimited turnout for the summer, and it's causing some inflammation for even previously fine horses.

It could be a mixture of the two for your horse.

Hoof boots are really handy to have in the tack room to pop on when things like this happen - as work, work , work will often be a huge help, but you can't work her if she is uncomfortable.

Adding some magnesium and salt to the diet are often helpful - if not a mineral balancer.

Shoes will probably make her instantly more comfortable - but you have to be mindful that you won't get the early warning like you are now.

This is all dependant on the vet not finding any other reason for her soreness.

Thank you,

Trying to remember now, but think my farrier took about 1/2 cm off the wall, nothing from the sole and a couple of straggly bits from the frog. So it was a normal trim really, didn't look like he took an excessive amount off.

She lives out 24/7 anyway, so not really any change to her access to grass, although I have still been giving them hay as it doesn't look like there is much grass in the field.

Hoof boots sound like a good idea- didn't think of those. I'd rather keep her unshod if possible, but of course will have her shod if needs be. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and have a chat with her, to see what she thinks. Hopefully it won't result in having to get horse to them (very good vets, but like you to 'bring them in for tests')!

It does seem like the odd weather has sent everything and everyone haywire!

Oberon

Visit site
People have been complaining about footiness for a few weeks but they have mostly been thinking it was the wet weather making the hooves 'soft'. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be the grass that's been shooting through in drips and drabs since Feb....

If the white line is thicker than a credit card = diet.
If the sole is flat and not concave = diet.
If the horse is footy on hard ground/rocks = diet.
If the horse is bloated/sloppy pooops = diet.

This is the WORST time of year to have a sensitive barefoot horse (TB's are as bad as Iberians and Natives;))

Boots with/without pads are a handy tool to use to keep the horses working - work (as long as you can keep them comfortable) overcomes these issues as well as any other intervention (you never find a footy BF endurance horse).

Sometimes it's about striking balance between grazing, supplements and work that keeps the horse comfy.

It could be that the last trim (although sounds perfectly fine) just tipped the balance. It can happen to even the best professionals out there.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I think I'll restrict her grazing to be on the safe side, and I don't want the native cross to get foot sore too (although took her around the farm and was fine). Neither of them will suffer from being on a diet.

Blummin horses, TB has never had any problems with her feet before. Fingers crossed it's just due to trim/ grass etc, but I do tend to worry that it's something much more serious when it's not.