Footwear...

stormox

Visit site
In this hot weather if you've been riding and need to pop into town, or a shop, on your way home what do you put on your feet?
Keeping on your boots and chaps, or long boots is far too hot.
In winter I change into a nice pair of country boots, but summer?
I think trainers look silly with breeches, especially with bright socks exposed.
Walking boots are a possibility but require some sort of ankle sock - again hot!
Ideas please!

Tash88

Visit site
I tend to wear ballet pumps or flip flops with my riding tights in the summer, looks almost fashionable and no socks required :D

huskydamage

Visit site
I wear boots all year round, magnums or combat boots and yes I do wear them with shorts and have had people take the piss and call me tomb raider ?
My partner got me some trainers for on holiday because he drew the line at me wearing boots on the beach.
I hate feet and don't own any flip flops.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
When I was a teenager I had really sweaty, stinky feet. I could go in the shower in the morning, get dressed (with, of course, fresh socks), put on a pair of brand new trainers bought the day before and never worn, and within half an hour they trainers would be damp and stinky inside.

I don't know when it happened, probably somewhere between being twenty and thirty, that stopped. I can ride in a pair of rubber or leather boots all day for days on end (currently the most I've done is five) and my feet stay fresh. They sweat a bit in the rubber boots, but not excessively.

So if I need to pop down into town after riding, I won't bother changing footwear.

I've no idea how old you are, Stormox, but maybe this will happen to you...

On the other hand, the young girls up at the riding school often turn up wearing trainers with their long socks over their jodhs or tights, change into long boots or jodhpur boots and chaps just for the hour of riding, then back into trainers to brush down the horse after. If they're hanging around the yard between lessons or workshops, they're in their trainers.

But I really don't care about fashion, and it's such an everyday sight in my town, that I really wouldn't dream of judging.

Widgeon

Visit site
I haven't found a satistfactory answer so I leave my short boots on. I always wear dark coloured long socks anyway so it doesn't look *too* silly.

Widgeon

Visit site
I wear boots all year round, magnums or combat boots and yes I do wear them with shorts and have had people take the piss and call me tomb raider ?.

I've also been rocking the Magnums and shorts look in the recent sunny weather....I don't like wearing trainers round horses and my Magnums are much more comfy then my short riding boots, so I've been wearing those when I go up to hay and do the field. It's a strong look :cool: I should dig out my green vest rather than the black one I've been wearing!!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I would only notice that you were ‘horsey’.

However I do remember at a one day clinic where the instructor wore breeches and short boots, I forget whether they were jodhpur or work style, together with brightly coloured long socks. OK you say ‘What’s wrong with that?
Odd socks!
All the young people clustered round this instructor all day were dressed in a similar way.

Perhaps I am just old.

ponyparty

Visit site
I rather like a pair of deck shoes to change into. Although often just go for trainers (Vans) as I'm not reeeally that bothered.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Deck shoes - I do everything in them. A lot of them will go through the washing machine as well.
Easy to get on and off but better around horses than trainers/ballet flats.

scats

Visit site
I don’t drive in my farm boots (vague attempt at keeping car clean) so I have a pair of trainers that I swap into. I’ll pop to the garage or little Tesco with my jods, Knee high equestrian socks and trainers.

flat3

Visit site
I wear Mountain Horse walking boot type things for anything horsy that isn't actual riding and they're fine in the summer. I always wear normal socks though, I don't really get what knee high socks are for?

fredflop

Visit site
Who cares what you look like? I wear hiking boots to drive to the yard and back in as riding boots aren’t suitable

stormox

Visit site
I wear Mountain Horse walking boot type things for anything horsy that isn't actual riding and they're fine in the summer. I always wear normal socks though, I don't really get what knee high socks are for?

My breeches end at mid calf level so short socks mean I have a bare calf which looks even sillier than knee socks!

huskydamage

Visit site
I've also been rocking the Magnums and shorts look in the recent sunny weather....I don't like wearing trainers round horses and my Magnums are much more comfy then my short riding boots, so I've been wearing those when I go up to hay and do the field. It's a strong look :cool: I should dig out my green vest rather than the black one I've been wearing!!

Camo shorts too for the full 'look' ??and tank top with a few holes in from those overgrown thorny bridleways!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Either deck shoes, trainers or slip on converse trainer type things. They are never worn on the yard to keep them clean and shop friendly.

I do try to keep a spare pair of trainer socks in the car as I think it looks less obviously 'horsey' as I wear riding tights than wandering around in long riding socks - but I often won't bother if I'm just popping into a supermarket or petrol station.

I keep wet wipes, perfume and a spare coat in the car to reduce the smell if I do need to pop anywhere