For a joke I asked.........

HashRouge

Visit site
My farrier on Wednesday I suppose you won't be affected by Brexit and amazingly he said "your mares front shoes come from The Netherlands and the nails from Columbia,the other mare who has natural balance shoes they come from Malaysia." Amazing isn't it?
*Whispers* It's ColOmbia, unless you mean the one in the USA. Sorry, pet peeve of mine!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Probably true, but I guess the British workers are all adults, are paid a living wage and work in a safe environment. Not so sure about Colombia and Maylasia.

I agree. I remember my dad telling me about a conversation he'd had with the director of the company where he worked.

The director had said something about the cost of labour in the UK compared to overseas.

My dad said something like "You want me to work for a pair of flip-flops and a bowl of rice! I want a pair of safety boots and meat and two veg! We can't compete on price, we have to compete on quality!"

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My farrier makes his own tools as well as his own shoes. He does buy in the nails though!

If they are from Colombia then I presume they will be on some World Trade agreement, that will continue after Brexit.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
It's unlikely the iron will have been mined in the UK anyway, six of one and half of a dozen comes to mind.

Has there been any large scale commercial iron ore mining in the UK in the past few centuries?

There used to be a bit in Cumberland, in the Forest of Dean and in the Weald, but when steel production really got going, most of the iron was imported in the form of bars from Sweden. Hardly any iron ore was smelted in the Great Britain after about 1700, if I remember rightly...

Leo Walker

Visit site
Has there been any large scale commercial iron ore mining in the UK in the past few centuries?

There used to be a bit in Cumberland, in the Forest of Dean and in the Weald, but when steel production really got going, most of the iron was imported in the form of bars from Sweden. Hardly any iron ore was smelted in the Great Britain after about 1700, if I remember rightly...

And the North east. I kept my ponies in a field where the spring ran orange due to the iron in the water, and we used to hack along the old pack pony trails.