For PPID Horses that won't eat Prascend....

Coblover63

Visit site
Our Clydesdale X won't eat Prascend when there is grass. He has got wise to all hand-fed treats and won't touch bucket feed until there is no grass so hubby and I were resigned to him not being medicated every summer. He's 19, retired and only on half a pill a day. A while back I saw on the FB Cushings group that you can now get a pergolide flavoured paste and now that we have reached the time of year when Prascend is refused, I contacted my vets this week to ask if I could have a tube instead of pills. They didn't even know it existed but thankfully they do order other meds from Bova, who manufacture and market it, so they ordered me some on Wednesday, it arrived yesterday and I collected today. It comes with instructions and a small dispensing syringe which meant that I could squirt a pea-sized dose straight into our boy's mouth. It smells of butterscotch and initially he assumed it was wormer and went to try and spit it out but the amount is so small that he couldn't. And then willingly ate a couple of high fibre nugget treats, so it can't be a bad taste. Took about 15 seconds all in.

The tube costs £55 for the equivalent of 50 Prascend pill doses but I'm on the health plan so it was discounted to £49, which makes it cheaper than Prascend. I've noted on the calendar how long it should last, to see if it is accurate and cost-effective.

Just thought I'd pass this on for info, if anyone else struggles to medicate with that little pink pills. Apparently my vets think they will be ordering a fair few tubes now that they know about it, so it's good to know that it's not just me that has a stubborn horse!!!

Shay

Visit site
If you are on less than 1 tablet of pracsend you can always ask the vet to prescribe pergolide. They can't if the dose is 1 tab or more. But for Minis etc where prascend is too big you can still get pergolide.

Didn't know they did a paste though. Very helpful!

HashRouge

Visit site
YO and I are currently popping my Arab's pill into the side of her mouth and waiting for her to swallow it/ for the pill to dissolve, before giving her a treat. She isn't interested in her feed at the moment! In the winter she has it in an apple, but she doesn't seem to want that either!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Dolly has been on prascend for around 3 years now. She won’t take a treat off me, and putting it in her feed is hit and miss at this time of year because grass is soooo much nicer. I pop her pill into the side of her mouth and wait for it to dissolve.

Mac was started on half a tab per day on Monday. So far, he’s taking it in a polo. Should he decide he doesn’t want to take it that way, or in some other treat or his feed, I am screwed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
When the drama diva Cushing's mare has one of her fussy phases and won't eat her hard feed and meds, I dissolve (more correct term is 'suspend') her 1.5 prascend tablets in about 20 ml of tepid water. She's then happy for me to squirt this into the side/back of her mouth with a syringe. I bought a job lot of 20ml syringes off t'internet for this purpose.

She'll even present her head and neck over the stable door for me to dose her without me having to enter the stable. Weird creatures.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I used to dissolve it in water and then tip in in to her feed. It was the only thing that worked for us.

Good news that they've made a flavoured paste though.

paddy555

Visit site
I dissolve it and syringe it in. £49 for the equivalent of 50 prascend tablets is surely the same price as prascend which is 98 pence a tablet.

WandaMare

Visit site
I feel lucky after reading this thread. I put my mare's tablet on the top of her feed and it gets gulped down in the first mouthful, she doesn't even notice it. At least there is one benefit of having the greediest of all greedies.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I've found a half tab fits into the hole of a polo so my mint monster is happy to take hers. :)