For sale due to our health

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve just seen a 10 month pup for sale due to the above reason.
Now I get one person becoming Ill but “our health”
An excuse surely. I shouldn’t read bloody dog adverts, it makes me so mad.
Cecil is 10 months. I know illness can hit at any time but I’d have to be half dead and I’d not sell him.
It was a pretty bullet point ad aswell :,(
Am I being a bitch. I’m tempted to show OH because it’s his dream dog, but we just don’t need another.

scats

Visit site
I was raging last week. The couple who live next door to my friend had an elderly spaniel who died of old age. A few weeks later, they got a spaniel pup. I noticed I hadn’t seen or heard the pup for a while so asked my friend about it and found out that the people got rid of after a few weeks because it was “pooing and peeing everywhere and we’ve just had our house decorated!” When it was suggested that perhaps that was part of having a puppy, they then came up with “well we want to go on holidays and stuff you know, so we can’t with a dog.” Before reiterating that “it was peeing everywhere, our old dog never did that!”
Anyway, they rehomed the poor thing. I can’t even look at them now. Idiots.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Cecil is 10 months. I know illness can hit at any time but I’d have to be half dead and I’d not sell him.
Am I being a bitch. I’m tempted to show OH because it’s his dream dog, but we just don’t need another.

Show him. Imagine telling him in a few months and he goes crazy that it’s gone. I think it’s a bit like babies, it’s never the perfect time.

I saw an advert for a springer puppy, they wanted £750, having to re-home it due to ill-health. Just crazy! I mean, yes, don’t give away a free dog, because.....dog fighting.....but £750!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Go on, P, show your OH. Don't be mean!
You know what I thought of you!
I can’t, we can’t have another right now and In my opinion OH needs a small dog as he has to lift it into tractors etc
It’s a Rottie bitch, another issue for us, some will remember my post re. Basil trying to hump Cecil. Imagine life with a young bitch in the house. Also his lab is entire. I just feel it’s not feasible for us right now.
It’s also £2000

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We were chatting last night, he seems to think Spud his lab is happier with me and Cec and I have to agree. He no longer leaps up to go to work and loves us ? oops
OH has always, literally we have been together over 20 years and his dream dog is a rottie.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was raging last week. The couple who live next door to my friend had an elderly spaniel who died of old age. A few weeks later, they got a spaniel pup. I noticed I hadn’t seen or heard the pup for a while so asked my friend about it and found out that the people got rid of after a few weeks because it was “pooing and peeing everywhere and we’ve just had our house decorated!” When it was suggested that perhaps that was part of having a puppy, they then came up with “well we want to go on holidays and stuff you know, so we can’t with a dog.” Before reiterating that “it was peeing everywhere, our old dog never did that!”
Anyway, they rehomed the poor thing. I can’t even look at them now. Idiots.
That makes me sick, really sick

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site

You don't know the minute, in my experience, health and the ability to look after large, boisterous dogs can change in the blink of an eye, no one really knows what they might have to do until they're in that situation and not all of us have a big family or friends willing to step in.
Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people will charge the price of the pup they bought, or what they consider is the money put into feeding, care, training etc.

P3LH

Visit site
We were in a situation years and years ago with a very challenging dog who we rehomed with family friends after four years. He was always exceptionally challenging and when mums health changed (I still lived at home at the time) it was impossible to have the two around each other. We were never the right home for him but loved him and were committed but when circumstances changed it made the difficult become impossible - he lived his days out at a horse yard charging about until old age took him nearly a decade later. Was right for us, and right for him. It was dreadful at the time but the right thing. You never know what can happen IMO. My cousin had a going GSP who was his life, then was diagnosed with cancer and sadly died. A year later - he rehomed only a few months before he died (and should have done sooner frankly). It does happen for genuine reasons so not always worth discrediting.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
We got our pup late year, who has been a relatively sane and sensible puppy, which is good because its ten years since we had the last one. The dogs we had when we were young, it's doubtful if we could cope with now. One of my husband's friend got a Border collie, they are in their seventies and it's running them ragged.
We already have a Rotti X, who is like Nana in Peter Pan, she likes to snore, and running is not something she really wants to do. The new puppy was chosen to be smaller, so my daughters could have coped if we could not. We have got to the stage where it doesn't need to go out every hour, it sleeps all night, goes out in the car and settles. It still hasn't learned to see, never mind bring a ball to you, it's like Dory the fish, he can not hold two thoughts at once, but is a happy soul.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
There was a couple in the village, in their early sixties, with three lovely dogs.. One elderly, one middle aged and one gorgeous puppy. The husband was diagnosed with cancer and went downhill very quickly. They rehomed the puppy and were heartbroken. And then the wife was also diagnosed with cancer. They rehomed the middle dog with a friend. The husband died last year. The wife died in January. The old dog was pts shortly afterwards.

Not everyone will always be able to care for their animals or give them their best lives. And it's very common for more than one person at a time to have serious health problems.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You know what I thought of you!
I can’t, we can’t have another right now and In my opinion OH needs a small dog as he has to lift it into tractors etc
It’s a Rottie bitch, another issue for us, some will remember my post re. Basil trying to hump Cecil. Imagine life with a young bitch in the house. Also his lab is entire. I just feel it’s not feasible for us right now.
It’s also £2000

I was just getting excited! Then I saw the price:eek:

Imagine paying £2k for someone else's reject!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
The last rescue I had was a rescue because the husband died suddenly and then the wife fell ill. The daughter wouldn’t take her as the dog was epileptic and she worked, small kids. The charity had the dog in kennels and the wife went rapidly down hill and passed away when I was fostering her. the couple were only in their 60s and the dog was 5.

So They might be at it, they might be telling the truth and if it’s the latter, I imagine extremely hard to deal with.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There are a myriad of reasons for someone parting with their dog, and I always think the dog will almost always be better off in a new home than staying where there’s reason enough to consider rehoming, if that makes sense.

I agree. Our second dog came to us because of a house move. A situation totally out of their control, and one in which the dog could not be part of. They adored him, and it was heartbreaking for them. However his life is 100% better with us for a variety of reasons.

We shouldn’t always be too quick to judge.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I could easily be wrong but I thought pups below a certain age had to be offered back to the breeder, not just sold on? Am I dreaming?

Decent breeders will have a contract stating that the dog must be returned not just below a certain age but throughout its life, but I suspect a lot of these pups won't have come from decent breeders. I do believe that the contract isn't necessarily enforceable but hopefully people won't challenge it.

Ratface

Visit site
My age (77) and the fact that Old Horse's care with his wonderful YO, takes almost all my occupational pension, are the reasons that I don't have another dog.
I'm fit and active, walk lots, ride, sail, but . . .
Family are 300+ miles away and are super busy with children, work, hobbies etc and don't need any more animals.
I love dogs, had GSDs and lurchers, but since Mrs. Lurch was pts six years ago, I haven't had another.
Demanding Kat has a home with a friend if I'm disabled or dead. He also has a berth with Cat's Protection Society via my monthly subscription.
I think it's irresponsible to take on an animal without having a solid back-up plan in the event of one being unable to ensure it's safety in one's absence.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
We lost both our dogs last year and I decided to look for another one, husband wasn't so keen as we were having loads of reneovation work done but I missed a dog in the house. Saw an advert for a 10 month old sprocker that they were asking £1200 for. All the photos were of the pup in a crate. I messaged and asked why they were rehoming, unsurprisingly it was because the dog was wild and they couldn't control her. Asked what she was like on lead and around other animals to which she replied that she didn't really know because she had stopped taking her out because she couldn't control her so only let her in the garden a couple of times a day and now had to keep her away from the children as she had become aggressive! I felt so angry but due to our circumstances didn't want to take on a pup with issues incase I didn't have the time to solve them. We did buy a sprocker for far less that this one was going for and she has been an absolute star, so easy to train and very intelligent, makes me wonder what these people had done with this pup for her to be so out of control by 10 months or more to the point what they hadn't done with her, poor pup.