For sale videos - what do you want to see?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Hoping to get some up to date bits of video for big mans advert this weekend. What kind of things would you like to see as a buyer that I might not have thought of? Anything that puts you off? Or anything that makes you particularly interested?

Ideally things that can be filmed solo, as don’t have an extra pair of hands available! (But do have a tripod that can be attached to a fence…)

Snowfilly

Visit site
Walk up and back, trot up and back in a straight line to see movement and soundness.

Tacking up including doing the girth up.

Mounting and dismounting.

Walk, trot and canter on both reins including all transitions.

A few lateral movements/ simple changes if appropriate to training.

Pop an upright and a spread fence.

Nice bonuses - picking up all four feet, loading, walking past a car, jumping a grid or full course.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Perfect, just the kind of suggestions I was looking for! I haven’t got anyone to video him in traffic from the ground but can easily get a “through the ears” view as I’m riding him down the road if that would be any good?!

Obviously want to show him in his best light but I’m not interested in hiding anything. Plus want the best chance of attracting the best home for him!

Equi

Visit site
I once saw a horse I was very interested in. Advert sounded right for me and the video was nice enough until I got to the mounting part. I can only explain it as they put in a successful mounting but it was clear to me (and I’m going to put it down to experience at this stage) that the person mounting was waiting for the horse to explode. Think of someone getting on a newly backed horse for the first time. I questioned it and they said oh yeah last person to get on jabbed her in the side and she took off bracing so we had to remount her about 20 times after we caught her.

so yes show mounting and dismounting and remounting again in succession lol

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
also a small bit of each pace on both reins, i have seen videos of horse trotting for most of the video and hardly any walk or canter, so all equal and horse being bought to halt is handy as well.. can you find someone to video you with traffic passing, almost everyone has phones these days that can video..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To add to the above, static horse being filmed from each side, behind and in front.
Will show conformation off (or not!) Then moving away in hand from camera in straight line in walk, then completing 2 more sides of a triangle in trot so the 3rd side is trotting straight at camera, which shows how straight the horse moves (or not!)

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
also a small bit of each pace on both reins, i have seen videos of horse trotting for most of the video and hardly any walk or canter, so all equal and horse being bought to halt is handy as well.. can you find someone to video you with traffic passing, almost everyone has phones these days that can video..
The problem is that I’m almost always at the yard entirely by myself… suppose I could set the tripod on the fence that runs alongside the road and ride up and down until a car comes past ? (won’t take long, it’s a busy road!)

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
To add to the above, static horse being filmed from each side, behind and in front.
Will show conformation off (or not!) Then moving away in hand from camera in straight line in walk, then completing 2 more sides of a triangle in trot so the 3rd side is trotting straight at camera, which shows how straight the horse moves (or not!)
Good idea, I’ve got photos from all angles but video form makes sense

coblets

Visit site
Walk up and back, trot up and back in a straight line to see movement and soundness.

Tacking up including doing the girth up.

Mounting and dismounting.

Walk, trot and canter on both reins including all transitions.

A few lateral movements/ simple changes if appropriate to training.

Pop an upright and a spread fence.

Nice bonuses - picking up all four feet, loading, walking past a car, jumping a grid or full course.
All of this, and, if horse has any 'quirks', would want those recorded.

I don't mind seeing through the ears recorded videos of horse in traffic, if nothing else it tells you rider can ride one-handed near cars.

Peglo

Visit site
When I bought mine from videos only ? they mounted and did the usual schooling stuff all in one video, no clips and then I asked for more and got 3 videos out on the roads, her leading and following with cars going past, going under a bridge with an echo and a go-cart thing going past and it just showed how she would react with something that she was unsure of. (She just looks! Doesn’t run thankfully!) Thats not overly helpful though if you don’t have someone to help film but it was really good to see as a buyer.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like to see transitions, the videos always seem to cut out transitions and then I wonder why. Are they good at transitions? Do they bog off or refuse to slow down?

Just exactly what I was going to say! Transitions often seem to be edited out, which always makes me suspicio!us.

ETA, I would also think it useful to see the horse standing by a measuring stick. That would mean that the 16hh horse that I've booked a viewing for won't turn out to be 14.2hh when the farrier is overdue.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Got catching, trot up, tacking up, mounting/dismounting, loading, picking feet up, full body/confo video including views of feet. Jumping a spread, double with fillers and straight bar (though not big today, have plenty of vids from last 12mo of that).

Nearly there with schooling vids, but camera died 10mins in so didn’t get everything. Plus need to readjust camera angle to get good views of lateral work/medium trot etc. Will make sure to include plenty of up/down transitions and maybe some trot/halt/trot and walk-canters.

Will sort something out for road work tomorrow/Monday. Doesn’t help I’m on call all weekend so can’t arrange a time for someone to come and help as can’t guarantee I’ll be there and can’t go far from the yard ??‍♀️ I’ve got hours of GoPro from hunting/beach rides etc, but thats less useful. Hopefully someone will happen to be about at the same time as me and I can ask them!

Last edited:

Lou27

Visit site
Personally I don’t like any added noise or music of any description on the vid, I just like it to be as is so I can hear the breathing of the horse being worked. I listen for any obvious respiratory probs.

eahotson

Visit site
I am only window shopping at the moment but I saw an advert for a gypsy cob that seriously interests me.The advert did a short description,shoeing, handling health etc. and then a lovely little video showing the horse from front and side,being bridled, mounted from a mounting block,trotted away (back view) cantered in a large field, popping a small jump (jumping not really his thing but he popped this little one well enough)down a bank into water.Then the video showed him being hacked out on his own,in the school briefly, still green in his schooling apparently as having mainly been a hack and a short bit in the school.It told me most of what I wanted to know but I would have liked to have seen him ridden in company to see if he changes at all.Wish more advertizers could do such good adverts.

eahotson

Visit site
Perhaps I should also say be clear about your target audience, Is he an alrounder? Potential dressage horse etc. and what level of rider he would suit.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
On it, no music (annoys me too!) but will leave background noise in rather than removing it like I normally do!

He’s an all-rounder/hunter, but ad itself should be very clear about the kind of home I’m wanting for him/what lifestyle he’d suit.

I’ll be adding bits that have been filmed previously from XC schooling (including steps/water/ditches etc.), jumping a small course and cantering in an open space.

Would you bother including older videos if they show him doing certain things I haven’t got on camera recently? Eg. I have a video of him on a beach trip a couple of years ago, he’s done it many times since but this is the only time I’ve had someone taking video from the ground. Shows him cantering up the beach, stopping nicely etc. but he’s greyed out a lot since so it’s obvious it’s not hugely recent.

Lou27

Visit site
If I were looking at his ad I’d love to see the beach vid, even if it’s from a couple of years ago. It shows he’s fun to take out! I wouldn’t worry about how much you include, usually there’s not enough to go on, although I wouldn’t include anything he now wouldn’t be able to do! Good luck in finding him his next home :)

Flicker

Visit site
I’ve not got huge experience selling horses, but have had my fingers burnt once or twice and so read adverts with quite a critical eye. I also love window shopping. Please feel free to PM a draft of the ad if a completely objective look over and feedback would be of any help.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve not got huge experience selling horses, but have had my fingers burnt once or twice and so read adverts with quite a critical eye. I also love window shopping. Please feel free to PM a draft of the ad if a completely objective look over and feedback would be of any help.
That would be great actually, I’ll PM you.