For the horseless among us!

Vizslak

Visit site
Well I have been horseless for two weeks now and given that this time last year I had three horses its a bit of a shock to the system. Whilst hoovering this morning and missing my boy I was thinking of all the positives of non horse ownership.
So, light hearted thread to make us feel better, lets make a list of all the plus points of not having a horse! :D
I'll start with my hoovering musings...

1) The obvious lack of major financial crippling!

2) Whilst I have never minded horsey chores and mucking out I have always HATED doing hay and haynets. If I never see another haynet I shall be happy. I have not missed haynets! Also relates to point 3..

3) No hay falling out of my boots when I come in and take them off, thus hay free house. Being slightly anal about house cleanliness this is good!

4) No livery yard bitchiness. While I feel slightly lost without seeing my fellow liveries everyday I shall not miss yard politics and yard bitches, a definate major plus.

5) Free time...this is an alien concept to me but I now seem to have plenty of it, granted this could be seen as a minus point but I have a smug feeling that when winter draws in this point will come into its own!

6) If its raining I can stay indoors! What a novelty! No more looking out the window and 'oh ****** its raining', no mad rush to change into a million uncomfy waterproof items and trudge around fetching wet, cross horses in.

7) Nails...I have for the first time in god knows how many years got clean, unbroken nails! Before going out I now do not need to soak my nails in bleach for 5 hours before looking presentable!

8) Lack of washing! Well this has some major benefits, think of my yearly electricity and water savings...a green reason to not have a horse ;) I was fascinated at the fact on day two of horselessness I put the same clothes back on as had been wearing on day one and the top was WHITE! :eek:

add yours below :D

swampdonkey

Visit site
i have been horseless for 5 weeks and I also have got nails for the first time in years and a clean house but would happily go without those things to have a horse again.

mattilda

Visit site
Sadly I have no idea how it feels to be horseless. All of the above apply to me only when I am on holiday. However, should you feel an overwhelming urge to be dirty, nailess and wet please feel free to pay me a visit!! :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Due to having a leg op, I had a few months of non-horsey life a couple of years ago.
It was a trip into a whole new world..I had neat hair and actually found time to go to the hairdresser.
Wore nice clothes. Sandals, even !
The shower water was clean. No more looking mortified at dirty water running off my head.
Planning meals and looking for new things to cook.
Tidy, clean house and could actually find things.
Was able to stay with friends without organising horses first.
Started meeting with old friends and having pub lunches, although this meant I spent money I wouldn't have spent if I had been with the horses.

gracey

Visit site
..it wears off!! lol i have been horseless for far too long now ..and omg i miss the hay n straw falling out of my boots/hair/bra!! lol .. only when the snow and the ice kick in (i am a wimp and won't drive when there is ice about!!) do i think thank god i don't have to worry about getting to the horses!! :eek:

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Have to say you do get bit bored after a while once the novalty has worn off I am about to get another horse after a 2year break - after I lost my old boy.

Have to say it has been nice to worry about getting up too early to go and muck out, put out get dirty or smell just before work (i was diy)
The hay and shavings bit falling out of boot hasn't been missed lol, having clean nails, smelling nice all the time, having hair done more often and buying more clothes cos I could was nice.
Having a nice car, but all that is about to change again...

I am more than happy to be giving it all up for this lovely lad, not sure how my acrylic nails will cope though, only had them put on about 2 weeks ago lol, managed before so I will see about that one.

Car - I am going to get myself a cheap run about for the horse and I do alot of miles in car for work too... but that will get all dirty again.

Enjoy it while you can..... sure you'll be back lol

Vizslak

Visit site
Don't get me wrong guys I'm far from enjoying it, I would also sacrifice everything to have horses again. I was just trying to look for the positives to make myself feel better!

whiteclover

Visit site
Im kind of horseless, (hes away to be sold). I really dont miss the yard bitching, nor having to ride everyday, however, after two weeks Im bored and my sister keeps talking horsey. I dont miss being covered in mud and the long dark, wet and snowy winter.

Persephone

Visit site
Having lost my beautiful mare in tragic circumstances last week I am utterly lost.

I can't believe how long the days are when not broken up by stable duties.

So at the moment I can't think of anything good.

redmerl

Visit site
It's the money bit for me. Being without one has made me realise just how much they cost. I've just got a cracking one on part loan and currently it's all the good bits and non of the bad

Event rider

Visit site
Although I work ride ie school horses regularly for people,im also inbetween horses (searching for a newbie if anyone in the south west knows of anything!) and for the 1st time in a VERY,VERY long time Im wearing....wait for it....shorts!!!I would one day would like not to be teased fo having anaemic legs,so mabey I should ride more often in shorts :)?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Having lost my beautiful mare in tragic circumstances last week I am utterly lost.

I can't believe how long the days are when not broken up by stable duties.

So at the moment I can't think of anything good.

Crap, P, I didn't know that :(
You know where I am if you need to get away/get your head cleared x

Brownmare

Visit site
Well I'm not horseless at the moment but the fringe benefits can be enormous. In my one and only horseless year I stayed clean and tidy enough to persuade someone to marry me :eek: Obviously I then broke it to him gently that he would have to share me with a horse for ever more ;)

RideYorkshire

www.rideyorkshire.org
Really sorry for anyone who's lost a horse ... and who's horseless but doesn't want to be.

But if it's by choice, it can be pretty positive! I don't have a horse ... intend to when I retire ... but for now I have a lovely time going to different riding & trekking centres, seeing different parts of beautiful Yorkshire from between a horse's ears, I ride kind friends' horses when I'm given the chance - a lovely way to go on for now!

riding_high

Visit site
i have to say that i do have moments where i'm jealous of people who don't have horses for all the reasons Vizlak said.

i would be lost without them though but i definately wouldn't miss the yard politics (point 4)! ;)

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I miss Jamin every single day and there will never be another pony like her and maybe one that I will ever love as much. However after starting a family, Jamin never had my time like she used to and affording her was a struggle. I thought that not having a horse would give me more time with my daughter and more time for the house etc, etc but in all honesty, I miss the horses. I don't think i will ever move on and I hope in time, when its right, to get another and I hope not to feel guilty towards Jamin and my daughter for wanting so much :(

Megibo

Visit site
I was horseless for 6 months when my horse went on loan once. I thought it was great to start with but then i got very bored, missing smelling of yard muck and horse. Didn't realise til she came back how utterly depressed I had become and when I saw her come back off lorry a massive weight came off my shoulders. They are SO worth all the graft! :D

P, i'm sorry to hear about your horse :( xx