For the over 50s....

madmav

Visit site
Have you seen the over 25s thread? Pah! What do they know about aches, pains, dodgy body parts, and....., what the heck else was I going to say? Oh, of course, remembering things.

Bede

Visit site
Babes in arms Mav. I'm sure they've got nothing going on that a nice spoonful of Calpol wouldn't sort out

JillA

Visit site
I resisted calling them lightweights - 53 years of work, spills, breaks and bruises. Trouble is I don't know how to stop.....................

madmav

Visit site
As long as we can still sling a leg over a saddle and not walk too much like John Wayne afterwards, we are winning.

ZondaR

Visit site
Babes in arms Mav. I'm sure they've got nothing going on that a nice spoonful of Calpol wouldn't sort out

Or gripe water! I am over 50 and have no back problems or anything, I observe the rules of manual handling and I do what the physio or doctor tells me. The eyesight is a bit dodgy and I had stress incontinence ("happy" result of childbirth) but I had it fixed with surgery as it was interfering with my riding (horses, not the other). They have a lot to be complaining about with their fast metabolisms, taught skin and firm young bodies!

Yertis

Visit site
Now listen you young'uns, quit complaining until you're over 60, you'll be glad you can ride, it's the walking that gets tough lol!! I have had to teach my two mares to stand quietly at the mounting block for me to get off now as well as on, ankles can't take it anymore :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Now listen you young'uns, quit complaining until you're over 60, you'll be glad you can ride, it's the walking that gets tough lol!! I have had to teach my two mares to stand quietly at the mounting block for me to get off now as well as on, ankles can't take it anymore :)

(similar age) Last horse I jumped off I hit the sand, ankles gave out and I ended up on my back underneath his with a big black face peering down at me saying 'This isn't what usually happens!!' Bless him, he's a cantankerous old ------ but knows when not to move.

Archangel

Visit site
I am sure I have more stamina now. This morning 3 blokes on their mountain bikes were puffing red faced up the massive hill behind my house. It is steep and flinty and goes on up forever... first my dog cantered past carrying a stick :cool: then I passed them sunglasses on head still able to hold a normal conversation and not just gasp and puff. :cool: They didn't know I cycle up there nearly every day of course but it was a nice moment.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I resisted calling them lightweights - 53 years of work, spills, breaks and bruises. Trouble is I don't know how to stop.....................

Me as well , I ended up sitting on the ground this week having screwed up the approach to the second of a combination of nasty slice shaped skinnies.
I should know better on so many levels I won't stop till it stops me .

Tobiano

Visit site
Depressingly, I thought 'oh this isn't me…' but it has been for over 2 years now!

There is a bright side though. my sisters (both 60+) and I were out for a lovely ride together today and agreeing how lucky we all are to have our horses, some transport and pretty good health - even with the aches and pains we enjoy ourselves so much now and are all grateful we don't have to worry about toddlers left behind (youngest offspring is 20).

Were also muttering about some of the youngsters who say 'oh you are so lucky to be able to do endurance rides, I wish i had transport' - we all had to wait until our 40s to get our first horse and worked hard to pay for our trailers / lorries etc so have limited sympathy !

eggs

Visit site
Agree, it's not the riding but the dismounting ....

I definitely try and avoid situations that could result in an involuntary dismount too

soulfull

Visit site
I started the over 25's thread and I am 50. I just wondered how early we knacker our bodies

I with you all that they have a long way to go. I've had my ankle rebuilt until they gave up and replaced the joint. After the 3rd replacement it's actually useable most of the time

When I dismount I have to push my right foot on my mares butt to enable me to get my leg back off. She just sighs at me :) Bless her she also has to stand a certain distance at a particular angle at the block for me to get on

As someone else said it's not the riding that's the problem, it's the walking, hence I have a mobility scooter for the yard and she walks along side it, even when I have the trailer on the back

I have RA an immune disease which make me feel crap an attacks my joints so I make the most of every ride

flirtygerty

Visit site
I am late 50's, age is in the mind, until I discovered Tumeric, I had to dismount western style or slide down his neck, (not very elegant), I have four horses, one a 5yr old, just at the tantrum stage, even being riddled with arthritis doesn't stop me enjoying my horses, but I agree young people should take more care of their bodies

Deltaflyer

Visit site
55 here and dismounting's definitely my biggest issue. I have to kind of gird myself and hope the ankles don't give out when I land. Hips can feel a bit stiff sometimes too. (sometimes I think just falling off at the end of a ride might be less arduous LOL) Riding itself, no probs, in fact, I'm now confidently jumping bigger cross country fences now than I used to when I was a mere stripling LOL. However, I do have the usual aches and pains that a 50+ year old whose battered their body falling off etc. over the years should expect but my philosophy is as long as it doesn't hurt enough to actually stop me riding I can happily put up with it. Hot flushes though - yeuchhh !!!!!

Clannad48

Visit site
I'm 60 and realise that nowadays I don't bounce - I break. My 23yr old daughter can't seem to understand that I need a stepladder to get on her 17h DWB (I'm 5ft and shrinking). I have now become more cautious than I used to be around horses and sadly have all but given up on riding.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm another who has found out that she doesn't bounce any more. And I have to get off at the mounting block as well as getting on there - and I had it built especially high when I broke my left ankle about 7 yrs ago. If for some reason, I have to dismount somewhere else, I have to lower myself to the ground very slowly and carefully.
I sometimes regret not being more careful about getting injuries checked out when I was younger, particularly when the muscles in my back go into spasm because I tore them falling off a youngster when I was in my late twenties.
But I have a 4 yr old cob waiting to be backed soon and I am intending to still be riding into her old age.

canteron

Visit site
Ok, enough, Mark Todd and Mary King are well into their 50's and are pretty amazing (still taking more than 1 horse around the 4* events) and lets not forget the 72yo Japanese man who competed in dressage at the Olympics. I am riding probably technically the best in my life and as I have never been the most courageous, I am loving learning new things all the time and replacing 'bravado' with knowledge.

Although lots of my friends have given up, I still have contemporaries doing BE and BS at high level and of course lots doing BD. Yeah, I don't bounce like I used to, but now I remember to stretch every morning, never drink the night before I ride, treat 'confidence' as a skill that can be learnt and has to be worked on and essentially think this is a pretty fab age to be. You just learn to ride for your own enjoyment, and don't really worry what anyone else things.

So a huge cheer for the over 50's, still giving those young'uns a run for their money!

Greylegs

Visit site
Great thread which has really cheered me up.

Another 61 year old here and no plans to stop yet, in spite of a few creaks and groans. I have, however, downsized to a scrummy highland who gives me all the riding fun I want with less of the drama. Our yard has a huge mounting block especially built for one lady (63) ... Small lady with dodgy knees and a large horse! She uses it to get both on and off to save her knees from the impact. No plans to stop yet ... Those young 'uns on the other thread have a long way to go to catch us up.

Marydoll

Visit site
Im 54 next month and still ride almost every day, ive been lucky over the years, a couple of trashed shoulders and a few concussions, broken finger and toe, i only really feel twinges now after xc but paracetamol sorts that out.
Massage therapists are your friend, make use of them for you and the horses, i used to be riddled with shoulder and back pain all from the joint injurys in my shoulders, after various "big gun" painkillers i went down the regular sports massage and although painful to start, the relef a couple of days later is fantastic, i also take berocca boost every day and never felt better, i cant remember the last time i had a cold. One of mine is 18 hands and dismounting is done slithering down his side unless im in the school or on good grass, my ankles, knees and hips are the only joints still in decent nick so im trying to keep them that way