For those actively looking to buy a horse - how hard is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not quite sure what you are trying to say with this and whether this is aimed at me or OP? (Please read as very non argumentative and simply trying to understand what you mean! Hard to convey over the internet haha!) My response to OP was simply that of encouragement, if she is competent, don't let something such as not riding for a while put her off trying the type of horse that she has her heart set on is what I was trying (and possibly failing to convey!).

I don't think people on an online forum are able to judge what the OP should or should not be purchasing so I was simply expressing if she feels competent, to hell with everyone else and go for it!

I was agreeing with you, that sometimes people buy horses they shouldn't or aren't the ideal type in other people's eyes - like me buying an unbacked just-turned 3yo, but that sometimes it comes good or you ask for help where needed and make it work :)

tristars

Visit site
i accidently got a a sort of cob, he is not wide or very hairy, but he is so different to the others, who are sophisticated, arsitocratic, ha, meant aristocratic and he does have thuggish tendencies, he is however perfect with me, put him in the field with others and everyone scatters then settle

now i have ridden cobs that were lovely to ride,but some as B said are uninteresting, mine is is nicely forward and has smooth paces, so as others say there is cobs and cobs

i think riding ia horse is like riding a bike once you know you know, when viewing you are not going to impress anyone or in a competition, i have see many horses tried and the experienced riders get on walk around a while then do quiet jog of sitting trot and back to walk, starting a conversation with the horse, getting a feel for how you are placed when sitting on said creature, how you feel,if you like it, once settled then do more

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
@ycbm @Birker2020 was the vet based in Cheshire?
Yes, Birker asked for recommendations on here and that name came up, though not from me. Although I haven't used that vet myself they do have a good reputation. Not what I would consider to be dodgy.

Can’t remember if bloods were later run?

ETA I was completely carted at speed around the arena for numerous laps by a ‘safe’ 5yo ID that I was trying at a highly reputable dealer’s yard, the one that Hovis came from. I was frankly terrified, there was a steep drop down the hill over a low fence on one side, plus the arena was full of jumps so I couldn’t haul him round in a circle.

’He’s never done that before’. The inference being that I must have been riding like a muppet and provoked him.

Later the dealer contacted me to apologise, she’d had the horse checked out by the physio then vet and he was stiff, sore and broken from top to toe. He was withdrawn from sale and returned to Ireland.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
B if that's your aim aren't you going to pay a lot more than you need to if you buy something a BS record?

I know nothing about how much a BS record adds to value, so maybe not. I do know that a BE record would likely add thousands.
Its not got much of a record as I've looked it up with the help of someone. The point that I've made often though is that I want something that isn't spooky with fillers, Bailey could be a nightmare at times, I remember her stood next to one when I hired an arena, actually shaking, now that's not normal :)

Birker2020

Visit site
But she doesnt feel competent and thats part of it. No one would in her situation. Shes also 18 stone and the horse has to fit in a trailer designed for a maximum of 16.2hh, be a RC all rounder and a nice person, and sound. The chances of finding something suitable in a competition horse is very, very slim. It doesnt have to be a cob, but something with less blood and shorter has a much higher chance of staying sound and fitting in the trailer which is important to her for several reasons. Lots of competition horses of 17 hands or so are kept together and sound by very careful management and good riding. That stops and they can fall apart as Lari did. No one needs to experience that twice when they can stack the odds in their favour of it not happening.

People are only trying to help and stop another mistake being made.
Thanks for that LW but no I'm no longer 18 stone, not the trailer isn't designed for a 16.2hh, my horses have all been 17-17.1hh and fine in the trailer. I do wish if your'e going to make comments you would be factually correct.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I do understand what you're saying here but I think it can be misinterpreted as a criticism of B's management and riding.

I don't think Bs management or riding were the cause of Lari falling apart, rather that the professionalism of the sellers hid that he was falling apart. I saw his sales videos and I think she was sold a horse who should never have passed a vet. I contemplated writing her a PM to say so before the vetting and I've kicked myself daily since that I didn't. She's knows all of this, I have told her, I'm not talking behind her back.

She was done to, big time.

I'm sure she won't be using that vet again!

ETA and boy didn't that horse land on his feet with the care he's had since?

Sorry, yes. Thats what I meant. The older I get the more I seem to struggle expressing myself online.

Birker2020

Visit site
It doesn’t have to be a cob, but the horse has to be able to comfortably carry the weight of the rider, and not be too tall to fit in the trailer, which does limit the options. Having a type you like the look of is all well and good, but practicalities should
I do understand what you're saying here but I think it can be misinterpreted as a criticism of B's management and riding.

I don't think Bs management or riding were the cause of Lari falling apart, rather that the professionalism of the sellers hid that he was falling apart. I saw his sales videos and I think she was sold a horse who should never have passed a vet. I contemplated writing her a PM to say so before the vetting and I've kicked myself daily since that I didn't. She's knows all of this, I have told her, I'm not talking behind her back.

She was done to, big time.

I'm sure she won't be using that vet again!

ETA and boy didn't that horse land on his feet with the care he's had since?
Thank you YCBM

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Now that seems like a fun thread! Do you think we’d all be on 15h cobs? 😜. Thinking about it, many of us probably should, inc me 😂

I would actually love a 15hh cob for my next horse but I’m sure someone on here would tell me my legs would be too long, I wouldn’t fit in its saddle, I’d weigh 14.97% of its weight when they’ve added in 3kg for my boots, 500g for my knickers etc and that’s too close a margin. Don’t tell anyone I’ve been hacking a 14hher occasionally, I’ll go straight to HHO jail. 😜 I also only ride once a month on average so I’d have to go for a crash course in how to hold the reins before going to try it out too.

minesadouble

Visit site
I can see both sides of this debate.
I love blood horses and have always ridden them, would I buy one now? (At 54 having had a break from riding) I'm not so sure.
In my head I'm still the same person I was when I was 20, riding breakers, but I have to be realistic and accept that I'm a bit rusty and not as brave as I was.
I'm lucky that now my kids are older their ponies/horses are all big enough for me to ride.
The cob I've posted about further back in this thread is far from boring. A bit heavier in the hand than I lile but he's good fun whilst still safe and capable of competing at affiliated level showing and dressage too.

I won't go so far as to say I'm a cob convert but I enjoy riding him way more than I ever thought I would! I think it's best to keep an open mind about what you want, whenever I'm buying I think about how suitable it is for the job I want it to do rather than having a specific 'type' in mind.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I won't go so far as to say I'm a cob convert but I enjoy riding him way more than I ever thought I would! I think it's best to keep an open mind about what you want, whenever I'm buying I think about how suitable it is for the job I want it to do rather than having a specific 'type' in mind.

I think you have to be careful with competition types too because they can very quickly go horribly wrong when in a new home with an owner that doesn’t train and compete as much as they are used to. Buying the horse that is already doing the job you want it to do with similar management is always a good start. I definitely prefer a trusty reliable 4x4 these days to the hot headed flighty beasts I used to enjoy riding and I like having a horse that doesn’t have to be ridden every day or it will lose it’s mind. A horse that is a good match and fits into your lifestyle and set-up is a pleasure to own. One that doesn’t is like having a second job.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
If I was going to ride again I would look for between 14.2 and 15 hands maybe a tb cross, temperament would be very important as I need something level headed because I seem to have an electric seat and the slowest plod is quite forward going with me so I don’t want to start with anything that is too forward or explosive , that would be a disaster at 77 nearly 78…

Status
Not open for further replies.