For those of you with Stallions at stud

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
How do you turn a mare down politely if you think its not suitable??

I have had someone enquire about using Inky this year on their mare. Now the mare is lovely but im not sure its the breeding path i want to go down and although the foal is for someone else, it will be an advertisement for what he can produce so i want to make sure i make the right decision.

Dont get me wrong conformationally etc she is fine and i do need to think more about whether to accept but im just not sure if i decide she is not right how do i say this without offending the owner??

dianchi

Visit site
last year i enquired about a stallion, and before asking any questions of her, Stated that they only wanted high class performance mares-fair enough, however the Stallion wasnt even proven in competition!
However i thought they were very rude, and for the fact that it was the stallions first year demanding that they wanted to see her and approve her first i was quite offended. I wont mention who it was, but it wasnt a high performance horse.
Obviously you are entitled to refuse but try and be polite about it! Good luck!

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
You can always tell her, as you have said:-

but im not sure its the breeding path i want to go down

adding "for this season", then let her know that you will think about it.

It is always hard, especially if the mare is not to you're liking, but remember that it might be some else's pride and joy, so be kind.

emlybob

Visit site
As the others have said. Be honest with mare owners stating your reasons why you do not think their mare is suitiable.

But as above please make sure you are polite about it to to avoid putting peoples backs up as they may spread the word to other folk about a bad attitude.

However you are entitled as a stallion owner to turn down any mares you don't think are suitiable

SueBrowne

Visit site
I have never turned any mares away. If a mare owner has decided to breed from their mare regardless, it is better to offer them the chance to improve on their mare, both in terms of conformation and bloodlines, by using a proven, graded stallion. Mill Law has covered many mares of humble ancestory and there is nothing more satisfying than getting a letter and photos from a thrilled owner when their mare has produced a stunning foal.

Capriole

Visit site
I dont think theres anything wrong with being selective and turning mares away for your stallion. I was looking at a stallion for one of my mares and he had been used each year on a few select mares in his previous home, and had produced some very nice stock. I mentioned my thinking on this stallion to a knowledgable friend and he pulled a face saying that the horse had not produced anything much of note in recent years (since he was sold).
I went to have a look at the stallion where he now was, and the stud owner said that they would accept any mare who's owner would pay the fee.

So the way I saw it was, this stallion had had a good reputation for producing good stock when used on carefully approved mares, and had lost his reputation as he was being used on anything sent to him.

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I inquired about a coloured stallion this year to put on a mare of very good breeding. The owner wanted lots of pics and extended pedigree and he would get back to me. I think its fair enough and as an owner of a young stallion myself I have turned down about 6 mares for my lad as the mares had done nothing and I felt the foals would do even less!!

Stinkbomb

Thanks everyone. I do want to make sure that only quality mares are used and i do understand that these are still someones pride and joy, and i really dont want to offend anyone thats why i thought id ask here!!

Some people have said to me you cant be choosy but i can and i dont want to just use any mare for the sake of it, i would rather him not be used.

the watcher

Visit site
From the other side, I am sure that HTobago's owner had more than a few moments of doubt when I made enquiries for a Highland mare. Bless her, she was sufficiently curious and had enough trust to allow me to use him and the results (twice) have been better than either of us could have hoped for.

woodlander

Visit site
I have never turned down a mare for a woodlander stallion because you do not really know what you are breeding with. A very average mare standing in front of you can produce a very exciting foal. I do, however, advise which stallion would be the most suitable and ask to see pics to see what would need improving. The mare owner must have a plan for his/her foal and sometimes none of our stallions would lead in that particular direction.

I agree with Sue Browne, the stallion is there to improve the breed, type and movement plus temperament. That is the job. Of course, you want top mares also and hence the arrangement with concessions for very good mares. They must however be VERY good as an average Novice performer does not warrant a concession just because she is trained a bit.

htobago

Visit site
From the other side, I am sure that HTobago's owner had more than a few moments of doubt when I made enquiries for a Highland mare. Bless her, she was sufficiently curious and had enough trust to allow me to use him and the results (twice) have been better than either of us could have hoped for.

He he - I have to admit I was a bit wary at first (I'd never seen or heard of an Arab/Highland cross!) but it very soon became obvious that you were a very knowledgeable, sensible breeder who had done her research and had very clear plans and realistic expectations. And the mare is a top-class example of her breed, of course!

To answer the OP's question - I don't think there is anything wrong with being selective, and I do say 'no' to unsuitable mares. Like you, I hate to offend anyone, so always try to do this as tactfully as possible - usually (after looking at photos and pedigrees, etc.) by saying that I feel my stallion would not be quite right for their mare, and suggesting alternative stallions if possible.

In a couple of cases, where I did not feel the mares were of breeding quality, I've actually managed, over many phone calls and emails, to persuade their owners to buy a foal instead of breeding! Of course this isn't always possible, and yes, some people will go ahead and breed their mares regardless - but it is worth at least trying, I suppose?

Stinkbomb

In a couple of cases, where I did not feel the mares were of breeding quality, I've actually managed, over many phone calls and emails, to persuade their owners to buy a foal instead of breeding! Of course this isn't always possible, and yes, some people will go ahead and breed their mares regardless - but it is worth at least trying, I suppose?

Ha i think ill refer them to you!!!!

Thanks everyone, the owner of the mare in question has now decided its to far to travel so its solved my problem for now, but will keep in mind your thoughts should it come up again :)

htobago

Visit site
Ha i think ill refer them to you!!!!

Thanks everyone, the owner of the mare in question has now decided its to far to travel so its solved my problem for now, but will keep in mind your thoughts should it come up again :)

Eeeek! Please don't refer them to me - I've only succeeded in this twice, and it took forever! And it's not even as though I have any foals of my own to sell - I was spending hours and hours gently persuading wannabe breeders to go and buy other people's foals... *sigh*

But I'm really glad you've been spared the ordeal on this occasion, at least.

Endrete

www.severnviewstud.parks.officelive.com

Completely agree with the above! Wow, what amazing youngstock!! The moral of this story is not to be blinkered with the 'traditional' crosses. A little bit of vision is what this country needs and luckily we now seem to be getting from smaller and larger breeders alike.