for those of you without arena lights..... or an arena

Clarebear*

Visit site
As in the title really, how do you all manage in winter time without lights in your arena, or without an arena?

I now have a grass paddock with an arena marked out in it, first time ive had to cope without an arena with lights! (Ive been spoilt :) ) im finding it difficult to ride by the time I get in from work its almost dark I can tell im really going to struggle to ride on a night once the clocks change.

Does anyone have any idea of lights that I could run along the fence to have some form of lighting for my marked out arena? Its close enough to the yard to be able to plug in.......

Visit site
Get a show horse. Shows don't happen often enough in winter to be worth bothering with. Turf said show horse out and don't ride for the winter. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it! Lol!

NU ABO

Visit site
You have a grass arena you can work in in the winter! Lucky lucky.

Ours are all clay fields so by the time winter really sets in it's impossible to ride safely on it. Regardless of if we have lights or not.

That said, I don't bother riding during the week in the winter, sometimes I can convince my mum to give Jack a quick workout during the week (she doesn't work Thursdays or Fridays), which usually involves a good lunge or she can get him and work on some of her riding techniques (because he's brilliant at that)
Then come weekends I try to work him as much as possible eith by taking him out somewhere, or riding in the arena down the road. Then once it's light enough in the evenings again I re-start his fitness regime ready for full-on work again.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Can I join? I ride in my grass arena, which we love and is all marked out with letters. No lights as it couldn't be further away from the yard and no power. This time of the year it also gets wet so went can only really do walk and trot work. There is an old fashion builders sand arena which has lights, but it's pretty unusable so doesn't count. I just don't ride in the evenings this time of the year. If I wasn't so lazy I'd get up earlier and ride in the mornings. The horses generally get a winter break until about Feb, with just hacking an a bit of schooling at weekends.