For those that moan about kids on yards...

joeanne

Visit site
Well, to say the last 7 or so days have been a bit of a trial for me would be like saying the Pope is catholic. Its been pretty pants.
So I go to get out Ollies grooming kit this afternoon, to find the brushes have been dehaired and the bag organised. Oh and so have the other grooming kits. My saddles have been given a clean, and the lids of all the feed bins wiped down. My tack room in general looks......dare I say it....clean enough to live in?
So who did that I wonder......Oh yes, my seven yr old livery, who wanted to cheer me up!
The same little livery has also scrubbed every feed bowl to within an inch of its life, and stacked in colour order!
Little lassie has never missed a day. Rain/shine/gale force winds, she is there with a smile.
Dare I say it.....I prefer her to some of the adults!

Dolcé

Visit site
aw bless her! My 5yo grandaughter spent the morning having her first grooming lesson with 'bolshy pony' who never put a foot out of place with her but constantly tried to nip me every chance he got! She loved it and worked really hard to make him shine. The older 2 do try and clean up the feed room etc and are gradually learning their way around the yard and how to behave around the ponies.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
brilliant, maybe you should take her on tour, visiting all of us in turn lol
Kids are a great asset on a yard if they are taught respect and how to behave. my son and my next door neighbours daughter used to come up and do some of the little jobs, like poo picking the hard stands and cleaning feed buckets etc, sweeping up etc. never got in anyones way.

Last edited:

wildwoman666

Visit site
bless her. My little girl who is 8 years old makes any of the girls tea or coffee and also poo picks there fileds. She done mine other day i pay her a £1 a wheelbarrow. she got me a flat tyre. cost me £3....lol All the ladys love her.

tickety_boo

Visit site
What a lovely post. I really enjoyed reading that, thank you. I can't complain about kids on yards as, had I not been one myself, I would have missed out some of the best pony day's of my life.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Must say that we've got relatively few kids on our yard, and they are each and every one of them absolutely LOVELY. I would take anyone of them home to clean my house! LOL :D

Seriously, I'm a grump when it comes to bad mannered kids and most kids in general. There's only one on my yard that does my head in, and she's nearly an adult!

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
My 3 year old grand daughter helps with grooming Bella and rinses the feed buckets out when ponies are done with them and puts them away. She is being encouraged :p :D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What a lovely, thoughtful girl.
It is obvious though that you have taken the time to show her how to do things properly at some time in the past. Children respond very well to adult attention.
The ones who are a nusiance are usually the ones who are just left to their own devices (as shown by some recent post about children on yards).

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Sounds like a lovely girl, a pleasure to have around.

We often say our 6 yr old lad can muck out better than the 2 teenage daughters put together:rolleyes:

joeanne

Visit site
The child is an absolute poppet. Even when we had all that snow, she was trying to drag bales of hay up the fields. She never missed a single day, even when she was poorly and full of flu and earache.
A lot of it is just in her nature, she is a very giving little girl to start with, but mum and dad have obviously instilled the right values in her.
I can trust her to do pretty much anything and know what I have asked will be followed to the letter.
Quite refreshing in one so young!

Jericho

Visit site
that sounds like me when I was little - I would offer to pick all the tiny bits of poo out of other liveries shavings beds, after tidying up the big muck heap, scrubbing out the field water trough, tidying up the feed room and sweeping the yard, just because I loved being there and couldnt possibly have made my own stable or pony cleaner! I bet the yo loved me! hmmm misspent childhood springs to mind though...... (wouldnt have wanted it any other way!)

eggs

Visit site
Aw bless her.

Many, many moons ago I was a kid on a DIY yard that was mainly children with just a few adult owners. We were all probably a bit of a pain in the butt at times but had our uses as we could be bribed with £1 to do the horrible jobs such as mucking out the barn that four youngsters had wintered out in!

When I was older I had two young girls (about 12) who very kindly painted the tack room one afternoon. Unfortunately they didn't take the tack out first so for many months afterwards I rode around in paint splashed tack - still, at least the thought was there.

Achinghips

Visit site
I find little girls are perfect around yard, the little boys on my yard though are thoroughly vile, and far too loud, they put me and the horses, on edge and seem to have little natural empathy with all the animals - one of them thought it would be funny the other day to take out the chicken from his sandwich and feed the chickens with it.

Last edited:

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
my son & daughter love to help out poo picking ect (they are only 3 & 20 months) we brought them both little spades & gloves for the job & they have one of those wheeled buckets from garden centre each.

the ponies ar really sweet too & dont turn their buckets over (unlike my wheelbarrow!)

its just a shame some parents dont think to teach their kids manners from a young age, a basic for any enviroment not just yards.