For those thinking of getting horse lorries....

apkelly01

Visit site
apply for your C license now and save all the hassle
mad.gif

I found out that I need a C license to drive the new lorry as it's over 3.5kg. I've asked the garage to hold on to it for a while as I have to apply for the theory test and then apply for a provisional C license. I can't insure it until I get this
mad.gif

Rant over - so even if you don't need it just now, it's handy to have. If I had had the hindsight I would have applied for it before the theory test came out!

apkelly01

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Probably a thick question
blush.gif
but is this something you need to take regardless of age etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but you need to have a full B licence first before you can apply (should have mentioned that!) ..... running to check......

Louby

Visit site
Oooh thanks, Im not sure what Ive got. Just a bog standard car licence. I will have to check too, intrigued now
grin.gif

Louby

Visit site
Mmmm, mine must be a B too. Is this something new as my friend has a lorry but just a standard car licence.
Thanks for that.

apkelly01

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My daughter didn't have to do a thoery test before getting a prov. she did have to have a medical though!

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be an Irish thing
smile.gif
when we apply for our first provisional we have to do a theory test. I've to do a medical as well - you've just reminded me! Thanks
smile.gif

apkelly01

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mmmm, mine must be a B too. Is this something new as my friend has a lorry but just a standard car licence.
Thanks for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all new to me as well. The guy said I could drive it on a car licence but when I quizzed him on the weight he didn't know! I've found out the lorry is actually 6.5kg!

In Ireland (and I'd say it's similar in the UK) a car licence can cover you up to 3.5kgs, a C1 licence can cover up to 7.5kg, but a C will cover up to 7.5kg but will allow me to carry up to 8 passengers.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Yes ,don't anyone under the age of 27 try driving a horsebox over 3.5 tons on their car licence.If you took your test after [think ] 1998 then you are not covered for a 7.5 ton horsebox.Or a trailer but not sure of details

apkelly01

Visit site
I know here if you pass your test after the 1st Jan 1997 you have to do your test with a trailer. I've a provisional licence for towing a trailer.

In 2001 they brought in the theory test here, I'm really kicking myself for not applying for the licence before it came out because:

A: I'd have my licence without doing the theory test and
B: By the time I decide on a lorry, at least I would have had the licence and maybe built up a no-claims on it!

Ah well, hindsight's not my strong point!

ecrozier

Visit site
Don't you have to do a test there? Here you have tod o a medical, apply for provisional, do theory and then do your practical test before you can drive on your own.

apkelly01

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you have to do a test there? Here you have tod o a medical, apply for provisional, do theory and then do your practical test before you can drive on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, you first need a ful B licence, then I've to do a theory test, medical and once I've got them I can apply for the provisional licence. Then when I've the provisional, I can get insurance and then go get the lorry!

You are meant to have someone with a full licence to drive with you when you've a provisional, but I don't know anyone who has a C licence.