For those who hack in the dark...

Amaretto

Visit site
Aldi special for cyclists, but nicked the idea - four luminous/reflective bands with flashing lights for £5.99. I've got two sets and wrapped some together around my hat and the other set on each of my limbs. Rarely hack out in the dark, but if I have to, I'll look like a Christmas tree and be seen! :)

jaysh

Visit site
I wouldnt like to ride out in actual darkness but i like to be prepared just incase i get waylaid and it gets dull/dark, carry my flashing tabbard, flashing hat band, stirrup lights and headtorch in my saddle bags.
I wish i had an Aldi a bit nearer, they sound good things to have!

JFTDWS

Visit site
If I can face aldi, I may go have a look, sounds useful.

I like hacking in the dark :) Don't go on the roads round me as they're mental, but I used to when it was mostly 30 mile an hour limits, streetlights and generally fewer blind bends! Which means I'm just stuck on the byway really :cool:

ladyt25

Visit site
I saw someone the other night as I was driving home from work to our stables. It wasn;t on main roads but was on of the 'rat runs' and this girl was riding her horse, she was kitted out in fashing lights, reflective gear and all sorts. However, as I was driving up behind her, all the way I was just thinking "what on earth is that" as i couldn't actually make out what it was. As I got closer I realised it was a horse and rider but i still thought she was a bloody idiot going out at that time (nearly 6pm). It's not whether you've got all the lights in the world on - drivers just don't expect to come across a horse and rider at night. Whether that's right or wrong it's fact. i don't see why anyone would risk themselves or their horse riding out at night. We don't do it and we don't have facilties to ride during the week in winter yet we've still managed to compete fairly regularly with weekend riding only in winter.

I think myself a cautious/careful driver round where we live a I DO expect to come across a horse/cyclist/tractor etc round the next bedn but alot of people DON'T so why make it worse?!

Niddlynoo

Visit site
I personally wouldn't go out in the dark. Two riders came back to our yard from hacking today and it was already dark. Not one bit of reflective on them (both were wearing black!), I commented on it and they just laughed and said it was light when they went out! Thing is - if they had (God forbid) been in an accident, who would be at fault?

RubysGold

Visit site
OP: please dont think that Im having a go at you, as they sound ideal :) Sometimes its best (cheaper) to go for things not designed for horses

I rode this afternoon, got back about half 4. It was still light enough but was getting dull and I said that thats the latest Id want to be out till, as its not worth the risk. was VERY Shocked when 2 liveries said they love riding in the dark, horses spook less, their eyes adjust and theres less people out, they said they wear those lights on their head so they can see better.
When I said dont expect me to come with you, I got asked if I was a fair weather rider, to which I replied no, i can do rain/wind, but NOT dark!
Glad to see Im not the only one that finds it weird Lol

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I reckon I am more visible in the dark than on a sunny day. BUT it is very dependent on your location, I don't have far to go until off road, and see the same 2 people going to the same spot to walk the dogs :) I choose early mornings because it is quieter and you know it is only going to get lighter. Make a risk assessment and decide what you are happy with.

ladyt25 I'm afraid that only riding at weekends and competing doesn't sit that well with me and it certainly wouldn't suit my boy who at 18 does much better kept as fit as I can keep him :), mum's mare would find that fine, each to their own.

OP thanks for the heads up, mum picked some orange ones up in lidl a few weeks ago but I havent got round to deciding which bit they will be best on yet!

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I bought these just before my R&RS exam, the examiners were amazed at how good and cheap they were! Went again a few days later an they had all sold out! I wish they had pink though :D

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
I've got those flashing bands, genius idea! I use them over his boots on the front legs, normal reflectives on his back, and two on my arms, I ride with a tabard and my hat has a reflective strip. I don't ride in the pitch black, I go to the yard straight from school and usually set of from the yard around 4-4.15. On weekdays I don't go far, maybe down the lane or if I want a good gallop there's two fields about 10 minutes walk away. I hack for longer at the weekend during daylight hours :)

Mitchyden

Visit site
I hack out in the dark and have done for the last 25 years! I have no choice if I want to keep my horses very fit without boring them in the school day in day out.

I mostly ride on bridleways but I occasionally go out on the roads and I find that drivers show me much more respect with all my flashing lights then they do when I ride in daylight. I think it is because they can't work out what I am until they get very close!

Having to ride out in the dark every morning also makes you appreciate the light at the weekends.

lilaclomax

Visit site
I love Aldi for things like these :)

I do ride out in the dark as the nights draw in and again as the days start getting longer.. but we do have miles of off road riding straight from the yard - the tracks can be seen even in the darkest of evenings and the boys do not have any problems working out where they should be going!

As for the middle of the winter - we now have lights up in the manege :D

GinaGeo

Visit site
I ride round the fields at night. I love it. The horse's do spook less and your eyes do adjust. I don't like the headtorches though as they make it seem like you're riding in a darkened a tunnel... I wouldn't dream of riding on those roads at night though. I don't do it in the daylight!
I have to ride in the dark to keep mine fit. So I do ride and lead, and do everything I'd do in daylight. I canter, trot etc... Some of the liveries at the yard next door have told me I'm barmy. But I'm not on roads. I trust my horses and I'm hunting, so they need to be kept fit and trotting round circles in a flat school isn't going to keep them fit enough!

ReggiePerrin

Visit site
I went out on a night hack for the first time last night and loved it!

I was as sensible as I felt I needed to be. We only have to hack up 10 yards of lane before we're off road and we stuck to the hardcore and tarmac tracks around the racecourse. We walked most of the way and only trotted when we were on tarmac and were sure of what was under our feet. It was so light with the full moon that most of the time we kept our head torches off.

I work in central London 4 days a week so discovering that I can hack in the dark means that my horse is going to get ridden more than 3 times a week over winter.

The horses were amazing and apart from a bit of mild spooking at their own shadows, didn't put a foot wrong.

We did get some suprised looks from the punters at the pub on the racecourse!

Amaretto

Visit site
As I've said in my OP I rarely do it. Can count on one hand how many times I have. Some people don't have a choice though due to working hours or lack of facilities and the alternative is that horsey doesn't get exercised. For those who have to go out in the dark, hope the tip helps :).

Lark

Visit site
A Moonlit hack sounds lovely.
It is infuriating that in Ireland with the exception of a few beaches and forests we have absoutely zero off road riding.
An absolute disgrace.

Bustalot

Visit site
Pony and I went for a moon-lit hack last night, First one of the winter. :D:D

I wouldn't hack on the roads in the dark no matter how lit up i was. But regularly hack round the farm (off-road) of an evening in the dark. Although i still want some of those flashy light clothing just in case :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
you'd definitely be easier to find if you happened to come off or anything then bustalot too. Unfortunately are farm is only about 4 acres so we don't get very far ;)