For those who have backed their youngsters themselves...

Footlights

Visit site
How much experience did you have before backing your youngster? And if you could go back in time, would you do it again or would you send them off to a professional?

How do you know if you are ready to take on the challenge!?

FairyLights

Visit site
Its what I always wanted to do. I have 2 youngsters now one will be backed this summer the other next summer.You have to go with your heart. I have never sent any of my horses away for backing.

Alphamare

Visit site
21 years. First youngster. Got professional help a couple times a month. Now having someone else to teach us both dressage. Would not have done it any other way! Would do it again, actually seriously toying with the idea of getting another.

Alphamare

Visit site
My 21 years includes previous horse ownership as well as working on a stud with youngsters. I was still wary of screwing it up! Thankfully so far we are both doing well :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've done them myself (with the help of my mother) since I was a teenager (have ridden since forever) I think it's probably very helpful to have someone explain/show you the first time. My non horsey OH helped me with Nitty this time as my mother wasn't to hand and I needed someone to hold the head! I've backed racehorses for a living too.

I'm 27 now and am a total crock, horses have smashed me up! I am in the process of riding away my filly. I am not as brave as I used to be, if I could change anything now I would change that. And make my filly less accident prone so we could get a bit of continuity going rather than stop starting all the time!

shadowboy

Visit site
The first one I backed was when I was 13 with help and guidance of my mum. Have now backed 4 more and I'm now 27 so reasonably experienced.

LouS

Visit site
I don't think the amount of time matters more the quality of your experience. It was a steep learning curve the first time I backed on my own but I'd trust myself to back anything now, I'd definitely do it again. There is only one or two people I'd be happy sending my horse away to, much rather do it myself.

Footlights

Visit site
It's something I have always wanted to do and now I have the opportunity. I'm experienced and have ridden young horses, but never backed one from scratch. I desperately want to do it but scared I'm gonna screw it up.

Nannon

Visit site
Glad you posted this - I bought my first youngster at the auctions last year (impulse buy)! got her home and thought OMG can I do this?! Have been riding my whole life - used to have our own yard so go to ride everything lol am now 20. I think I will be going it alone mostly - shes only 10 months at the mo so got plenty of time before backing yet to get to grips with her lol helped break an exmoor when I was 10 - however she is pure TB!

rhino

Visit site
I backed an unhandled connemara stallion after having riding lessons for a year :eek: :rolleyes: with no supervision and only Jennie Loriston Clarke's book for help! Absolute madness and looking back I was very very lucky (a) not to be injured and (b) not to wreck the poor pony :(

Since then I have worked at a couple of studs as the backing rider (with fantastic supervision/instruction) as well as backing and breaking a few odd youngsters along the way for yards I was at.. Although if I was to get a seriously talented youngster of my own I would be tempted to either send him to a professional or certainly work closely with one :confused: :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
shes only 10 months at the mo so got plenty of time before backing yet to get to grips with her lol helped break an exmoor when I was 10 - however she is pure TB!

so is my current one and she's been as quiet as a lamb to ride :)

Although if I was to get a seriously talented youngster of my own I would be tempted to either send him to a professional or certainly work closely with one :confused: :D

If I had something really nice of my own that I wanted to compete seriously I'd do it myself but I'd want lessons on it from the very get go from someone good. Mine is very ordinary so I'm happy to wait until I have all three gates and proper steering before I invest! :p

Footlights

Visit site
I am not looking to compete or do anything fancy, that's why I think it can't be that difficult surely!? But then the other part of me thinks I am crazy and should get a 6 or 7 year old instead!

Nannon

Visit site
so is my current one and she's been as quiet as a lamb to ride :)

Snap, I thought she would be mental she was so quiet at the sales, and shes a total dope now lol lovesssss fuss! literally will stand for ages to be groomed and just doze off - can now pick up all of her feet without arguing which is nice :) just need to get the leading totally sorted - she leads nicely the majority of the time but coming in from the field she want to get in as fast as she can silly moo lol

cob&onion

Visit site
I had a fair amount of experiences with past horses before i took on my cob. Had her at 11 months and backed her last year, did the groundwork myself and started the actual backing process with a bit of help :) very rewarding. She has been a pleasure to do and so easy. I have another baby to start probably the end of next year, however i can tell he is going to be more of a challenge so will see how i get on. If he's too much i will get help in :)

whizzer

Visit site
When I did mine he was the 1st(13 yrs ago now!) I made a lot of errors when he was young but luckily he's a very forgiving horse! I've done a few since(didn't belong to me) but I honestly think when I have a youngster again I will send it to someone to start. I'm not as young as I used to be,I have more money now & the next one might not be such a nice, honest horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I backed Fergs and rode him away without any experience of backing and breaking or any professional back up, though I had owned my other horse for a decade and ridden/schooled/brought on others for people before then.

Whilst in hindsight I think that decision was ambitious and possibly unwise, he hasn't suffered by it and I certainly wouldn't send him away if I could go back. Whilst he may be flashier or further on in his education with a different rider, I am not in a rush and his attitude is far more important to me than any tangible "achievement" - and involving others could potentially risk that.

I will do the same with Darach in a couple of years too.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Have backed all my youngsters myself, some take longer than others and sometimes having a friend come and have a look, can put you straight on something that was going wrong.

yeeharider

Visit site
backed my first 2 yo at 14 then 7 years later completed Bramham Horse Trials on him done too many to mention since but nothing lives up to your first especially when he was so special :D:D

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We backed our homebred last spring, when she was rising four. I was 42, and she was the first I had backed, my husband helped (pushed me a lot!), and I would do it the same again, although with some tweeks. The nice bit was that the three of us know each other inside out - she was completely unfazed by anything, and we knew her personality really well. The only handicap was my nerves, they weren't warranted, and I worked hard to control them, but I'm not naturally brave - whereas my husband is much more 'crack on with it then!' than me. I think it was easy for her as she trusts us completely, and therefore tried hard to please - for a while I was concerned that her ears were always back when I riding her, then I looked at photos of us, and realised she was totally locked onto my voice.

I have a rising three year old gelding, who we will do a bit with this year, and hopefully back him at home too. So much less stressful for the horse to stay in their comfort zone area, with people they know.

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
Broke mine all by myself; no lessons, no books, no help... nothing except me and my mare... and the little devil on her shoulder that made her into the scariest creature alive at times.. I perserved and...

She's turned out a beaut!

Got Another 2 to break in the next few years.. possibly another one off to see him on sunday :D

I wouldnt personally choose to send mine away. Id rather do it myself, plus I do believe the more work you've done on the ground over the years the better they will be to back for the first time..

Her she is.. now with an angle on her shoulder :)

tipsyphotoshowsoct.jpg

hudsonw

Visit site
I sent my lad to a pro that was fantastic.
I wasn't brave enough to do it myself and even after riding for over 25 years and owning several horses I wouldn't do it.
I checked out a couple of yards and went with someone who was recommended by a friend and he was fantastic with my boy.
It was expensive but I think worth it, I didn't want to have anything nasty happen the first time I got on as I'm the sort if person that has their confidence knocked easily.
I didn't want to have fear in my mind everytime I got on.
I sent him away for 3 weeks, I checked on him every other day and even watched him being ridden which boosted my confidence.
I had a horse returned to me that knew what being ridden was about and knew the basic comands.
I just have the rest of riding life together to learn everything else!!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I sent my lad to a pro that was fantastic.
I wasn't brave enough to do it myself and even after riding for over 25 years and owning several horses I wouldn't do it.
I checked out a couple of yards and went with someone who was recommended by a friend and he was fantastic with my boy.
It was expensive but I think worth it, I didn't want to have anything nasty happen the first time I got on as I'm the sort if person that has their confidence knocked easily.
I didn't want to have fear in my mind everytime I got on.
I sent him away for 3 weeks, I checked on him every other day and even watched him being ridden which boosted my confidence.
I had a horse returned to me that knew what being ridden was about and knew the basic comands.
I just have the rest of riding life together to learn everything else!!

Can I ask who this was? Are they in Cheshire? PM if you'd prefer. Thank you.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
I've broken/re-broken lots of horses, I have been doing since I was 12. I'm hooked lol, hence why I do it for a living :D

I love youngsters, I think they are so rewarding, I prefer working with them than competing now.

I was lucky to have an amazing trainer who taught me everything about it though, I wouldn't have attempted it otherwise!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I was used as the stable 'dumb' jockey from when I was about 8 years old. I watched and learned a lot as ponies and horses were broken. I was taught to lunge and long rein and the first horse I broke on my own was when I was 16, a Welsh X TB. Not the easiest as she was quite neurotic but I still bought her and did PC Interbranch Horse Trials two years later.

I have started more horses than I could count, I love breaking and many I have done have gone on to be top horses.

I earn something from every one!

Daytona

Visit site
I just bought a broken four year old 17h Oldenburg - big mistake..!! Far too green, has thrown ne off badly damaging my leg for which I needed opereration got back on him 2.5 months later only to be thrown again and this made me realise leave it to the Pro's. He is now being schooled by a eventer and coming along lovely. I'm 32 got my first Pony at 4, had a number of horses over the years, competed BE and BS, always got lessons but I was outta my league with this boy.

dotty1

Visit site
In my youth I worked at a breaking yard for 5 years. It was purely racehorses, from yearlings upwards (to race as 2 year olds). Some came straight from the sales and were very well handled.some were from private homes.
I backed my homebred last year, on my own, I had a friend come when I first completely sat on her and first time outside but as she was well handled and used to most things it was actually trouble free.
Most horses that have been well brought up usually take it all in their stride without any hangups. The difficulties come if the horse has had a fright, is hurting somewhere or is unhandled.

Zimzim

Visit site
I have backed quite a few ponies/ horses on my own, and currently have a lovely TBX Im currently in the process of breaking/ backing.

I prefer doing it on my own as you can create a strong bond with them and also they are less distracted by another person being there aswell (particularly with my current youngster).

It takes longer in my experience but I just go at the pace the pony/horse is comfortable with and I see no point in rushing it.

Throughout life I have been around people breaking and backing horses so I learnt bits and bobs and then used the experience from others to do my own.

Definatly worth doing it by yourself though, very satisfying.

Spotsrock

Visit site
17 years. Riding. Owning for 10 of them. Bought cobby type on basis it. Still sell if I screwed up. 9 years later she's best horse I ever rode and by angel. I've done 2 more and am re starting a 15 year old with issues. No I would not send away if I could do it over. I love that I did her myself.