For those who have their own land not attached to their house!

cblover

Visit site
Hi peeps, who's like me and has their own place nearby but not attached to their home. I've got 3 acres with stables, barn and hard standing area but live 2 mile away on the other side of town.

I've started to stable at night due to the land being wet and I'm at my 'ranch' about 6pm to bring in and back again at first light. I really worry about leaving them and not checking them again before bed. nothing has ever been wrong and I don't worry when they are out in the fields at night, but having them stabled makes me worry more. This is the one time I'd love the land to be attached to my house.

Anyone else have a similar routine to me? And do you worry too?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our land is attached to the house but we sometimes graze in summer on a neighbour's land. We walk across to check them last thing. When stabled I have found one colicking at midnight, when she had been fine at 8.00pm. I wouldn't want to not do a last late check, I must admit.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Mine are only a 3 minute drive away, but I put them away at around 5pm now and turn out at 7am. I used to worry a bit, but then when they were at home it was only on the odd occasion that I would do a late night check on them.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks both. I think its because I've just started to stable them this week and its a different routine thats making me worry. I could come back before bed but its very dark (we have security lights once in) and hubby and daughter wouldn't be keen on coming with me. So far everything has been fine, but it doesn't stop me thinking the worst!

rowan666

Visit site
my land is also two miles from my house (although still right by ny mums) this year will be the 1st year my nags will be stabled at night (since taking on livery who can be there more often than me) and i must say, personally it will be a huge relief because i wont have to worry about them escaping from the field and wondering off to neighbouring riding school/mums& neighbours gardens for a nosy as they love to do on occasion! one of mine is also prone to injury in the field so although she will hate me for stabeling her im hoping it may help keep her sounder for longer!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We've always stabled before 6pm and don't return until 7-8am the next day. It's never crossed my mind to do a late night check! Only time I do is if I do a drive by on the way back from a night out, but that's more to check no one is breaking in, not to check the horses.

joelb

Visit site
Mine is on a big yard but I worry equally, staff finish at 4:30 and yard closes at 8 p.m. There are no checks then until staff start at 8 next morning. Having lost one to colic it absolutely terrifies me; Animal Hospital last night highlighted just how quickly they can go from healthy to no hope. If I was allowed to do a late night check I would do.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
is there a way of putting a camera in? might have to be powered by lithium battery if you have no electric? I think i'd look at that. Though I used to leave mine from 6ish and there wasn't always someone else coming on to the yard.
Colic and accident wise although mine are at home and out 90% of the time, as soon as it's dark i can't see a thing, so if they were stuck or ill I wouldn't know either (have considered putting reflective strips on rugs but all I would see would be the strips ;) )

Suechoccy

Visit site
They can go from healthy to dead in a few minutes, whether they are in or out. 1000s of people keep their horses stabled at night in yards/fields where there are no people living on site. Your situation is the same as theirs. Put them to bed, say nitty-nite, go home and relax. They will be fine.

Oliver12

Visit site
My yard is in a very isolated area and about six miles from my home. I started to worry a couple of years ago after reading about the quad theft which caused a fire and four ponies died in their stables.

I now turn out overnight and bring in during the day when there's usually someone about. I also find that they don't charge about so much at night, preferring to eat their hay, so it saves my fields from getting too churned up.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
They can go from healthy to dead in a few minutes, whether they are in or out. 1000s of people keep their horses stabled at night in yards/fields where there are no people living on site. Your situation is the same as theirs. Put them to bed, say nitty-nite, go home and relax. They will be fine.

^^^ This. I live 6 miles from my own field/stables. I have owned it for 8 years now, and yes, I used to stress (still have worried moments) but mainly, I put them to bed and go home till the next morning. Things can happen whether you are there or not, you can't be there 24/7 no-one can.

I did once keep my old mare at a private yard, whos stables were literally outside their back door, and they connected a baby alarm to their stables :) I laughed when one of their own horses kept them awake with its snoring :D

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My yard is just over 3 miles from home - across the other side of a busy town.
Its pretty quiet there & I have no mains power. The 2 houses most local (quarter & half mile away) do keep an eye open, but obviously not in middle of winter.
The fields & yard have been in my family's hands since the early 70's, with myself sole owning since mid 80's.

I only return late evening if I feel I need a security check, or if something was bothering me about one of the fuzzies. (have also kipped there in horsebox when I used to breed)

Mine are in around 5.30/6pm till around 6am (possibly 7 at a weekend in the depths of winter)

Currently they are 'in' overnight on my work days & out in a small paddock with huge shelter at night on my non-work days. Daytime they are out in the top fields.

zangels

Visit site
I am in the Same situation as you, last year I had them in at night and spent the whole winter worrying about them. This year they are out 24/7 and I am hoping to keep it that way. I still worry about injuries etc, especially when I found 9 fireworks in the field! I am defiantly not as worried as when they were stabled though, as others say no one can be there 24/7 and something can go wrong in a second. We can only do our best and it sounds like that's exactly what your doing.

cambrica

Visit site
My yard is a 2 mile drive from where I live so it is a case of leaving them overnight stabled and not returning until the next morning. I can't stress about it as there is no point, I can't change the situation.
I am having a swann security camera installed though that I can log into at anytime via the computer with 3 camera's. It cost about £350 and was really bought for security/breakins but I will have two of the cameras panning across the inside of the stables and one on the outside yard.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I know things can happen at any time but we all want to do as much as we can to keep our friends safe. Glad I'm not the only one in this situ. Think a camera might have to go on my Santa list. Lol

DragonSlayer

Visit site
My yard is a 2 mile drive from where I live so it is a case of leaving them overnight stabled and not returning until the next morning. I can't stress about it as there is no point, I can't change the situation.
I am having a swann security camera installed though that I can log into at anytime via the computer with 3 camera's. It cost about £350 and was really bought for security/breakins but I will have two of the cameras panning across the inside of the stables and one on the outside yard.

Like the sound of this!

Where can I find more info?

moana

Visit site
My land is about a ten minute drive from my home, but I don't stable overnight. Luckily I also have friends whose houses do back onto my land, so they keep an eye on my horses for me.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Mine is a ten minute drive, and after 30 years I've mainly gotten over the midnight panics as someone said you can't look over them 24 hours a day, if they have a good bed plenty of hay and water. I use to panic about fireworks the only time they got upset was when I suddenly popped up, till then they had been munching their hay

Pamfyson

Visit site
Mine are 5 minutes down the road and not doing a check before bed is the thing I miss doing the most. I've come to terms with it now but there are still times. I get them in at about 5.30 and I'm back there at 7.30 in the morning. Thus far they've been fine. You just have to try not to overthink it all I believe.

flirtygerty

Visit site
I worry, having lost a horse to colic, he was fine at 15 30, checked again (he was injured) at 1600, down in stable colicing, vet on site within 30 mins, horse dead by 17 45, nothing I could have done would have changed the outcome, but being paranoid now, I am often checking them by torchlight, the slightest noise and I'm down the barn checking, I can't help it, I didn't lose this much sleep with my kids, but i do need to know the horses are ok, i could never go back to a livery yard

cblover

Visit site
I bet you do worry and with good reason. Colic is something we all hate. Sorry for your loss. Mine will be out again 24/7 when the land dries up a bit. I like them out as much as possible, but its a delicate balance between managing their needs and looking after my land. Still rather have my own place though than be on livery. I feel blessed every day for that.

cambrica

Visit site
Like the sound of this!

Where can I find more info?

We bought ours from amazon, they do different packages with 2 cameras or more and you can add extra. I did see a better Swann system in Costco for not much more. Still got to get somebody to install it but you basically need a small tv on site to set it up. I will try and copy a link later when I'm on my computer!
What it then states is that you can view any of the cameras at any time via an app or link. It also lets you know if there is any one about through the alarm system if you want. Sorry not a techy person so sounding a bit vague!

Last edited:

buddy's mummy

Visit site
We've always stabled before 6pm and don't return until 7-8am the next day. It's never crossed my mind to do a late night check! Only time I do is if I do a drive by on the way back from a night out, but that's more to check no one is breaking in, not to check the horses.

me too!

JLD

Visit site
my boy is a field with stable behind my house. I usually put him in at about 9 pm with his haynet and dont see him again until between 6 and 8 am depending on the kids and work ( he has a small yard to wander about on overnight ). you cant keep an eye on them all the time. I don't think I would necessarily know if there was a problem overnight even where he is so I think all you can do is your best.