For those who organise shows/events...

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
Don't know if this is the right place for this, so put it in CR too...
confused.gif

I run an event photography company and we do all shapes and sizes of events and have been running for coming up to 3 years now. We operate throughout the UK and have been lucky enough to get some huge contracts with some big names in various industries... However, the horsey industry is proving a hard nut to crack.

We've done plenty of local shows in all disciplines, but mainly showing as it's where the money seems to be, but I'd really like to get into the larger county events. But it seems that there are the few big names you hear over and over, you all know the ones, and event organisers just seem to be so reluctant to move away from these.

Just wondered if any of you, especially those who do host their own events, would suggest going about getting into this industry??
What would you look for in a photographer?
Do you go with the better known just for fear of the unknown?
Would anything change your mind?

I have 18 years of equestrian experience, an extensive portfolio, offer a great deal re. revenue share/products/value for money, offer a professional, flexible service and set up, but just haven't got the big well known name attached...
As I said, we've managed to break into other industries much easier, but obviously, my heart lies with the horsey events and I'd love to be doing more of them. I've never been one to give in and although we have a very healthy looking diary for the coming year, I'd love to swap some of the less interesting events (IMO), in the years ahead, for the equestrian events that I know I'll love.

Any advice??

clipclop

Visit site
In this area we seem to have many photographers.
The one we tend to use kind of put themselves forward when we were let down by another and we merrily carry on with that person. This person keeps us sweet by sending us photos to put on the website and tends to keep themselves well organised.
I don't know what to suggest but is it possible that the huge pool of photographers problem is a nationwide one?
smile.gif

Visit site
I help to organise a local charity show in Dorset. It's difficult with photography companies - we need to have a company that are able to supply 5/6 photographers, in order to cover the rings, we prefer that they also have the facility to print on site. We have been let down this year, so are in the process of trying to find a new company! We go by word of mouth/recommendation or approaches from companies.

Maybe you could approach local riding clubs/cross country events or riding schools that have shows to try and get your name out and about??

Lollii

Visit site
Sorry, I have no advice for you except to say I run a few events for our riding club, they are smallish events really but we have approx 250 members.

We always used to use the same photographer every time but in the last couple of years it seems there is lots more of choice and people asking us to use them.

We tend to go with someone who we know has taken great pics at horsey events before and who is recommended by someone in the rc (its not what you know its who you know!!) Good luck x

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Last time I was approached by a photographer hoping for an introduction to an event I'm involved with she was offering to pay to be on site. I've no idea if this is the norm as, as you have found, we have used the same photographer for years and it would take a disruption to that relationship to make us change, rather than the few hundred quid she was offering.

CBFan

Visit site
I think like starting up any company it's about building up relationships and reputation. Just keep plugging away - putting your name forward and keep in the minds of people at the smaller events as they, more than likely have links to some of the county events.

Look at the product you are offering - is there anything new and unique you can offer?

Perhaps you could offer yard photoshoots? where friends can club together to cover the cost of a session...