For those who took a long break from riding or started late. .

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
I've just started riding again after over twenty years - all I've done in between were a couple of holiday treks!

But . . . I seize up terribly & need to be way, way more flexible! Does anyone have any exercises etc. that help?

I live in dread that someone will video my cowboy walk when I get off & put it on youtube :D:D

Please, please tell me it gets better!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Same as you - a couple of holiday treks - but my gap was 47 years! You'll definitely improve pain wise the more you ride....Surprisingly I didn't ache too much at first but now doing (low level) dressagy stuff every day is an ache day:D. I've always kept fit and have added on some Pilates for riders stuff from internet into my regime, to strengthen core and to open up the pelvis, hurts but it's worth doing. Good luck, please let us know how you get on!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I was exactly the same when I got back into horses after 25 years off. I now go to Equipilates which concentrates on both the core muscles and importantly for me the hip flexors. If your pelvis and hips are tight it affects everything you do in the saddle. Maybe you could find a class where you live and give it a go.

Oh and welcome back to the wonderful world of horses.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I learned to ride when the cowman wasn't looking so no saddle or bridle at about ten years old, worked my way up to ponies and anything I could beg or borrow as even the 3/6 an hour was out of my price range back then! Left off in my midteens and restarted when No.1 daughter began on ponies - about a fifteen year break - the only thing I suffered from was very sore calf muscles. Though later on I took up dressage as if I couldn't ride at all - despite being able to vault a full sized horse - the pain took some believing! Everything hurt for weeks! And kindly bear in mind that I'm a bloke!!

However; as this brought me and Wondermare together, it was all very worthwhile.

Mule

Visit site
Welcome back :) I stopped for 17 years. I started again about 4 years ago. I didn't notice too many aches and pains, probably cause I was very unfit and didn't used to stay on the horse long enough to get them :D

When I started back I had just given up the fags and put on stones in weight so it was more cardiovascular unfitness than muscular. From what I remember, any muscle aches I did have were short lived. I think you will only strengthen the muscles needed for riding by riding.

I did have a weak core and was prone to back pain. I've found Pilates brilliant for this. As well as core strength it also strengthens other muscles and develops body awareness. Unlike strength exercises it also stretches the muscles. I can't recommend Pilates highly enough.
I find reformer pilates the best for general strength. Be careful to choose a well qualified instructor to avoid any potential injuries.

Cowpony

Visit site
I had a gap of 25 years and booked an hour's private lesson for my return to the saddle.....when I got off I could hardly stand, and when I got into the car I couldn't lift my foot onto the pedals without a lot of help from my hands! Hot baths, Pilates and more frequent lessons definitely help. Its worth it though!

emilyjeff

Visit site
Hi, I had a gap of 20 years. Returned to riding beginning of last year as a 37 year old.

I only did half hour private lessons to start so don't remember being too sore after...did feel horribly unbalanced and out of control though. But it soon gets better.

I would suggest improving your overall fitness if you can, I was already running 2 or 3 times a week so not too unfit. I did find some exercise videos on Youtube that were helpful though, can't remember names but if you google 'horse rider exercises' I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Best of luck x

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)

It appears pilates is the way to go :) I do have arthritis in my hips so that is probably adding to the seizing up issue. I relate far more to cowpony than those of you that didn't get many aches :D

In terms of general fitness it certainly does need work - I'm tackling that with a two day/ week dose of RDA, I've been at it 6 weeks now and two days of walking and trotting the ponies/horses around the arena is definitely helping with fitness. At 5'3" trying to keep up with the 15.2hh horses at a trot is a bit of an issue though :D

I think a big part of my problem is my head isn't convinced that I've aged and still thinks I should be able to do everything I did when I rode before . . . :D