For those whose horses won't load.............

smallgirl

Visit site
My Mum has just found an article about loading which I think you may enjoy reading, I was nearly crying at the end as I have one of these 'bad' loaders, he does exactly what AC does.

http://www.arabianlines.com/articles/index.htm and follow the link 'AC gets Monty'd'.

I'm not Monty's greatest fan but agree totally with his ethos of understanding the horse rather than forcing it to be human.

Enjoy.....

JAK

Visit site
Interesting article but a lot of it is just common sense really, isn't it?

That horse may be 17.1hh & CB only 14.1hh but I can assure you when he's was rearing, striking out with his front legs, pulling back & slamming into people, he may as well have been 17.1hh, as his strength & power far outweighed ours! LOL

Using not dissimilar methods, it took us about 15 minutes to start his 're-training'!
He would put his front feet on the ramp but no further, sometimes not even that, just swerving at the last minute & shouldering you out of the way!

The backing up etc. does indeed work & we found it most effective to tell him to 'stand still' whenever he hesitated or became anxious, i.e. he didn't have to initially go forward but he wasn't allowed to simply change direction either!
This does however mean you need a horse that understands & responds to voice commands! LOL

After a few minutes of backing up, standing still, moving forwards, standing still etc., he was ready to listen & hesitantly walked on & off the trailer!
Within 5 minutes, we were able to shut, first in turn, then together, both front & rear bars & then both the jockey & rear doors!

He has since been to two shows & been placed in all his classes! Going home took 20-30 seconds of encouragement to load him on the trailer again & that's all!
I think the biggest thing you need to succeed personally, is time, no point trying to do it whebn you're in a hurry, you've got to give the impression you're happy to stand there all day if necessary!
That & patience, good timing (both for corrections & reward!) & committment! Cob Blob was also 'loaded' on every occasion by his tiny owner, proving that it is respect & trust that wins in the end, not brute strength or bullying!
smile.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
And what were we doing yesterday, practicing loading mare & foal ready for Saturday. Just kept taking them up turning round & back out. Fingers x'd they are as good next week. Saw Monty a couple of years ago at Keysoe, though impressed most of it is common sense. Richard Maxwell trained with him & he also has a version of the pressure halter. Amazing how expensive they are, & that is what I find off putting. We care about horses but at a price!

Chumsmum

Visit site
That sounds like my pony too! I haven't tried him for a while - he was a lot better last time - and have yet to try him on the lorry at my yard (had problems with a trailer) so will be trying the backing-up method - will have to find some money for the halter though...

Claireg9

Visit site
that was impressive, and whilst common sense, it's putting it all together at the right time and in the right way!
Sometimes you just need someone to correct you even if its only a tiny correction it helps!
Hopefully AC will stay that way!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I only ever use this method to load horses if they are afraid/difficult/stubborn. My old boss taught it to me and it has never failed (so far!!!).

I've known people spend 3 or 4 hours trying to get a horse into a trailer, but when they switch to this method it'll only take about a half hour the first time and about 10mins the second... wow Monty Roberts can do it first time in 5 mins though! he is amazing.

I always take horses straight back out again once they do load as well. It does work... but be prepared for some black looks from people waiting to get going lol.

Peanot

Visit site
That was interesting to watch, luckily my horse walks straight in every time. I have never had a problem with any of my horses and I have had great success myself with other peoples horses when they have been trying to load for ages without success.