For those with 3 horses - how much hay are you using?

zoon

Visit site
Just curious how much everyone is using. I have a weanling, a 2 year old and a veteran and use one large bale per week at the moment in the snow as they are out 24/7.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I have two ponies (one is out 24/7 and the other in as he has a foot abcess :( )
I am also looking after my landladys 3 horses who are in at night and out during the day. We use small bales of hay and I am using 2 and a half bales a day. I am also feeding hard feed.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Yes all 5. It was alittle more (prob about 3 bales a day) last week when we had snow. But now theres no snow I don't give the stabled horses hay in the field.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I have 2 ponies, and I'm going through one big bale hay in around 3 weeks but with the snow that's here - around 2 1/2 weeks.
I take hay out to them twice a day and they're both natives :)

Arabelle

Visit site
I have 3 ponies out 24/7 (with field shelter) and ad lib hay. We go through about a large round bale a fortnight. They also have a hard feed twice a day.

Lollii

Visit site
We have 3 horses out 24/7 but two of them are massive (think sherman tanks!) and one is tiny, all three will eat a big round of hay within in a week with a small net of haylege each as well twice a day (because they love it!) and a feed of mainly chaff and cubes twice a day. :)

suzi

Visit site
I've got 3.

The New Forest gets 10lbs of haylage during the day and 12lbs at night

The Connie gets 12 lbs during the day and 14lbs at night

The TB gets 14-16 lbs during the day and 18-20lbs at night.

They are turned out during the day but we have no grass at the moment.

Sanolly

Visit site
We have an older tb and 2 native ponies, last week we were using 2 small bales a day when we had the snow as access to the yard was very limited so weren't feeding hard feed. I think we'll probably go back down to a bale a day and 2 feeds a day

illy89

Visit site
my mare and foal and two shetlands are having a small bale a day and my mare also gets 2 feeds a day, they are all out 24/7. My other 2 horses have a about half a bale in their field in the day and are in at night!! We are going through hay at a ridiculous rate this winter!!

Hippona

Visit site
I have a highland, an irish cob and an arab. They are in at night with hay- a large round lasts 2 weeks.

I'm also putting a 'normal' small bale out with them during the day in the paddock ATM cos we're covered in snow.....theres usually some left at coming in time (about 6pm)

The arab gets Alfa A oil and speedibeet for tea, the natives get a small tea of Hoofkind with Pink Powder.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
my 3 are now out as the snows made the stable roof leak

I have 17.2, 12hh, and 13hh foal, the last big haylage bale lasted me 1.5 weeks I think this week its only going to last a week as they cant get the grass with it being frozen, they are getting through about 3 slices of big bale haylage a day plus twice fed with big bowls of forage.

paulineh

Visit site
When we had snow they were fed a bales and a half per day

Now the snow has gone and I have grass they are fed one bale a day.

I have 4 Arabs and a New Forest pony. They live out 24/7 and have a hard feed twice a day and they are rugged up well.

They must be getting enough forage as they are leaving some of the hay.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We have a 16.2h, 16h, 12.2h and a shettie, turned out 24/7.

In the snow they were eating around 1.5 - 2 small bales each 24 hours with 2 hard feeds a day (mostly Fast Fibre and some Dengie chaff, Speedibeet for the older 12.2 and a bit of Speedi for the horses at night time with their other stuff).

FleabittenT

Visit site
Just curious how much everyone is using. I have a weanling, a 2 year old and a veteran and use one large bale per week at the moment in the snow as they are out 24/7.

Same as you really, a large bale of haylage is lasting just over a week. We've not really had much snow though & still have a bit grass that they are nibbling on. Our 3 are all 15.2hh-ish and are in at night :)

Tinypony

Visit site
3 out 24/7. 2.5 small bales a day, although today they got just two as they've got some clearing up to do. A large round bale would last them about 6 days.

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
Got two heavy ones 15.hh gypsy cob, the other 16.3hh IDxcob. They are out 24/7, with a large field shelter and are having approx 2.5 bales a day. I put up 4 haynets with 3-4 slices each and they have some less good quality hay opened up on the floor. They also have one large bowl of sloppy forage daily, that is Alpha A, Speedibeet, bit of Happy Hoof. mineral licks, probiotics supplements, biotin, seaweed etc plus swede,carrots and apples.
must be costing about £40.00 per week - horrendous!!

stimpy

Visit site
Out of interest for those of you feeding haylage how long is a bale keeping for at the moment? I have big bales to feed 3 but I don't use much as two are lard-arses and all three only get haylage when they are in at night so I have a bale that has been open for 20 days so far. The haylage looks absolutely fine, no mould visible to the naked eye and the fussy TB is still eating it. Should I keep feeding it until I see any mould or my TB rejects it?

I am assuming that the constant sub zero temperature is making it last way longer than normal...

Lollii

Visit site
I use big bale haylege for the three horses that are stabled at night, they go through a big bale in 6 to 7 days, I don't think it has time to go mouldy before it is scoffed :rolleyes:

I give two big haynets during the day and two at night (plus a slab of hay) to each horse, it's a nightmare!

I think they are supposed to last about 7 to 10 days before going mouldy,

alsxx

Visit site
I have gone through a heston bale of hay in a week. That's one TB who is in at night, and two ponies who live out. They have loads of grass so up until it snowed the ponies were only getting a little token amount in the morning, but now its all buried they have nothing to eat. Hurry up and melt snow!

TallyHo123

Visit site
2 of mine live out and the YO put a big bale of hay in the field and keeps doing it everytime its gone, so ranges how often its replaced.
My gelding is stabled and I'm on ad-lib haylage so pretty hard to say. He gets 2 nets worth ont he floor a night.

Eventer96

twitter.com
We have 4, however one isn't on hay. We bought over £2000 worth of hay and put it this way it won't last us the whole of the winter :(. We are using three bales per day, can you believe?

haras

Visit site
I have three

A pregnant arab mare on box rest following colic surgery, who gets one large haynet twice a day

An elderly arab x welsh gelding who gets hay in his stable overnight, a large haynet, but he usually leaves some

A Welsh Section A yearling who should live out and has ab lib hay in her field overnight. She comes in during the day at present to keep the arab company. she gets whatever the gelding hasn't eaten, as she borrows his stable!

I am using approximately a large bale in ten days, although i'm just moving the gelding onto haylage, as i'm having probs getting hay and my arab isn't allowed haylage, so hopefully i'll be able to make the hay i've got last a bit longer!