For those with a Ifor HB401

lexibell

Visit site
I cant seem to find ROG's towing thread, Im sure this has been done to death but humour me please!

Following my last post, I have found a 401 at a local(ish) dealership, which hopefully we will be buying tomorrow :D

I will be towing on a B Licence. My horse weighs 500kg.

I understand I still may need to downplate the trailer which is fine.

I am now looking for a vehicle to tow with, any recommnedations to keep me within weight limits? and any general comments, suggestions and things I need to know about the 401 before I part with my money!

Thank you

ROG

Visit site
link is in all my signatures in case you need it in the future so find any post by me

What is the GVW of your towing vehicle?

Find the weight plate hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame and the GVW is the top of the four numbers

The second figure from top is the GTW and that will also be handy unless you already know the towing capacity

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG - Thanks, Is it easier to continue this convo on your thread?

I havent bought a new car yet, I am looking at the freelander, I wondered if I had any other options?

Hundreds of options but I suggest not getting a vehicle with more than a GVW of 2100 because down plating the 401 from 1600 to 1400 will leave you about 600 for the load which will be the horse of 500 and maybe a few other bits

what I am doing is using a reasonable down plate of the 401 to 1400 and then leaving a max GVW of 2100

You might get away with a GVW of 2150 and the trailer down plated to 1350

I think down plating the trailer from 1600 to 1300 will leave about 500 so its going to be right on the edge of being legal